HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2005, 11:23 AM
To live is to fly
Austin, TX
Joined Apr 2005
173 Posts
Idea
Carbon Arrow Shafts - Deciphering specs

While assembling the bits to build a "Fry" SAL glider from Steelhead Products I've been looking for a carbon arrowshaft for the tailboom. When the broken shafts from my friend who is into archery didn't pan out it was off to the local sporting goods store to look at their selection.

However, upon perusing their archery section I had no clue as to which of the arrows might work for my plane. The plans specify 17" long boom weighing 7.5 to 8 grams, but how to figure out which of the arrow shafts might fit the bill?

The key info that I was lacking is that arrow shafts are specified in grains per inch, grains being an archaic weight measurement (see definition at http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictG.html ) . After Googling for carbon arrow specifications I got a few long lists of arrow specs and got an idea of the typical grains per inch that are used for archery. After applying some unit conversions to my specific case (17" long @ 8grams) I find I pretty much need the lightest commonly used shaft weight.

From one of the many conversion pages out on the web, there are about 15.43 grains per gram.

The range of commonly available shaft weights appears to be around 6.5 grains/inch to over 10 grains/inch. This works out to .42 grams/inch to .64 grams/inch.

So, if you're the type who doesn't want to wait for the fancy tapered carbon tube via mail order, now at least you can decide if a locally available shaft will meet your needs.
jvander is offline Find More Posts by jvander
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2005, 01:27 PM
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Feb 2005
91 Posts
Rather than an arrow shaft, you might try a carbon kite spar. I've had much success. Also it is easy to cut a slit for the vert stab.
Find the specs here…
http://www.aviasport.net/catalog/carbon/index.htm

Buy'em here… under "framework"
http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/

or here…
http://www.intothewind.com/shop/Repair_and_Kitemaking
maikukai is offline Find More Posts by maikukai
Old Sep 02, 2005, 10:49 PM
DrCarter
Princeton, TX
Joined Jan 2005
638 Posts
I went to an Archery shop and checked out a couple hundred shafts. They were all light so I did naot care about the weight. I wanted stiffness and found what I was looking for. I built several molded fuses for some Avenger wings and the arrow shafts worked great. They are just as stiff as the Alegro booms on my Blasters with a much smaller profile. I mounted the rudder on the side.
DFW_HLG_TG is offline Find More Posts by DFW_HLG_TG
Old Sep 02, 2005, 11:04 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
maikukai - I checked out a few kite shafts but found them all to have excessively thick walls, which of course is appropriate for their needs.

Arrow shafts are certainly the items to look for. I use 10grains/" shafts of about 0.250~0.260".

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Sep 04, 2005, 07:04 PM
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Feb 2005
91 Posts
Paul,

Which ones did you look at? The pull-truded spars have very thick walls. The tapered wrapped carbon spars do not. All five of my gliders have Avia g-force UL or SUL tapered spars (including my FRY) and I've never had a problem with weight or durability. Avia even makes one tapered spar, the Skinny ULT, that is 7.5 grams x 36 inches long.

That being said, you've got me curious. I'll certainly check out carbon arrow shafts for my next DLG.
maikukai is offline Find More Posts by maikukai
Old Sep 06, 2005, 04:17 PM
Sunnyvale Ca
Joined Jun 2002
1,006 Posts
GoldTip

Go look at:
www.goldtip.com

Here is the direct one to the wide diameter type X-cutter Pro:
http://www.goldtip.com/products/fami...&rnd=147716496

These are sometimes available on eBay but they normally sell in units of 12 arrow shafts which makes it pricy.

I have one on my Avenger2 rebuild and it works flawlessly. It is less weight than the original boom and 3 times as stiff.

Easton arrows also makes the "line Jammer" type of target arrow which has the same diameter (.385") and works just as well. Very few archery shops will sell just one-two arrows. Minimum buy is typically 6 arrow shafts.
Crazy Ted
tjcooper is offline Find More Posts by tjcooper
Old Feb 02, 2006, 03:58 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
I use Carbon Arrowshafts for most all of my personal FRY's and DLG's now. Just purchased from the local Sporting goods shop. PSE has some new ones called the "HUNTER 100" Most of the "100" series carbon arrows are around 6.6 grains per inch, which works out pretty well for HLG sailplanes.

Dean
steelhead is offline Find More Posts by steelhead
Old Feb 02, 2006, 09:26 PM
No drugs to fly high
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
764 Posts
Carbon/Aluminum arrows dont shatter as easily as regular carbon ones too. But come to think about it....we are not slamming DLG into a piece of hard wood at 300ft/second...hehe.
oracle_9 is offline Find More Posts by oracle_9