HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2005, 12:33 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2005
12 Posts
Never enough power!

Hi all, I'm a newbie to this site.

I have a Losi XXX-T MF2 (and a MF1) and I've been running a Novak 5800SS for about a year now. It's been a very good motor, but I want to upgrade big time!
I saw my friend run 12 cells on his Hacker c40 8t and was absolutely stunned by the speed. The Novak is limited only at 7 cells. I was gonna get the Hacker, but I would like something MORE powerful even. I'm interested in the Lehner range. They seem powerful and cheaper, but still good quality.
The Lehner basic XL4200 looks good. It's suggested to be run at 6-12 cells which is exactly the range I'm looking at. The problem is it's rated at 110 amps!
But then there's also the basic 4200 not XL (6-10 cell) which is rated at 45-55A.
What's the difference between the performance of the basic and the basic XL series? I know the XL's run cooler and are a bit bigger. I don't really want to spend a fortune on a speedy that can handle 110A if I don't have to.
Could I get a cheap ESC (I saw one on eBay for under $100) that's rated 80/100A and use it with say maximum 10 cells on the XL4200 (110A) without frying it?

If anyone knows a bit about these, I would appreciate any input.

regards,
Marco
Marcomando is offline Find More Posts by Marcomando
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2005, 03:24 PM
NoS
IT Technician
Cambridge MA
Joined Sep 2004
400 Posts
the hackar c40 8s will make ur car do 60 with 12 cells
NoS is offline Find More Posts by NoS
Old Sep 03, 2005, 04:21 PM
United States
Joined Dec 2004
1,893 Posts
Hi Marcomando,
i've been really interested in brushless motors. what is your experience with the Novak 5800SS? how fast does it make your car go? and how much runtime do you have and what batt. you use with it (brand, capacity Mah)??
TueLe is offline Find More Posts by TueLe
Old Sep 04, 2005, 12:01 PM
Phoenix Intl, Arizona, United States
Joined Sep 2004
576 Posts
Cells make all the difference no matter what motor you run , Here is what I use http://www.smc-racing.com/index.html with good chargers and a Discharge and equalizing tray , RED
redheat8 is offline Find More Posts by redheat8
Old Sep 04, 2005, 11:19 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2005
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TueLe
Hi Marcomando,
i've been really interested in brushless motors. what is your experience with the Novak 5800SS? how fast does it make your car go? and how much runtime do you have and what batt. you use with it (brand, capacity Mah)??
TueLe,
The Novak has been an excellent all-round system. It's been very low maintenance. In the year that I've had it, all I've done is quickly open it up and blow it out with compressed air every 3 months or so! Top end, the Novak is just a tad faster than my Tamiya 11 turn modified brushed motor but runs much cooler. Being a sensored brushless, the Novak responds really well low and high speeds. It's much more responsive and torquey than the brushed motor so it really gets off the mark.

With the GP3300 6 cell packs, I can lift the front wheels. I also have the GP3700's which perform about the same and last longer. I made up a couple of 7-cell packs and they really make the Novak fly. The motor is rated up to 7 cells, but you have to watch the temperature of the ESC and motor closely. With the car body on and 7 cells, it got hot pretty quickly. I also got in the new Intellect IB 3800 pre-made 7 cell packs, but I noticed they lack the 'punch' that the GP cells deliver.
I'd say you get about 10 mins out of the GP3300 6 cell packs and about 15-20 mins from the 7 cell packs.
If I use a bigger pinion, the XXX-T MF2 gets to 60 kph (40 mph), maybe more but as I said, it will get hot quicker as you put more strain on the motor.

Just ask me if you want to know anything else.
Old Sep 04, 2005, 11:54 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2005
12 Posts
Update

Updating my original message,
I found the answer to my question! I sent an email to rc-monster.com and they were very helpful in explaining the Lehner motors to me.

He explained the Lehner basic 5300 was similar to the Hacker c40 8t. They can handle 12 cells, but could fail on a hot day (which we get a lot in Summer). The Lehner XL series are larger and run cooler, but I was just concerned about the max amps drawn by the xl 4200 was 110A. They told me that would only be the case if it was used in a heavier vehicle. My XXX-T MF2 would not draw many more amps with the xl series motor than it would with the smaller basic series. That's good because I just need to get an ESC rated at say 80 amps and it could still handle 12 cells with the xl4200. They suggested the MGM 80/12 or 120/12, or even the 160/16 ESC if you wanna go 16 cells!
The xl3600 would not rev as high as the xl4200, but has more torque, hence you can gear it up to make it faster. But the xl3600 responds better to 8-12 cell range. The xl5000 would have better top end, but less torque, runs hotter and is recommended only 6-8 cells. The xl4200 is best in the 6-12 cell range, which is exactly my range.
So I'm gonna go ahead and order the xl4200. Can't wait to see what it'll do! Up to 1300 watts should be a touch faster than the Novak 200w !
Old Sep 05, 2005, 12:09 AM
United States
Joined Dec 2004
1,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcomando
TueLe,
The Novak has been an excellent all-round system. It's been very low maintenance. In the year that I've had it, all I've done is quickly open it up and blow it out with compressed air every 3 months or so! Top end, the Novak is just a tad faster than my Tamiya 11 turn modified brushed motor but runs much cooler. Being a sensored brushless, the Novak responds really well low and high speeds. It's much more responsive and torquey than the brushed motor so it really gets off the mark.

With the GP3300 6 cell packs, I can lift the front wheels. I also have the GP3700's which perform about the same and last longer. I made up a couple of 7-cell packs and they really make the Novak fly. The motor is rated up to 7 cells, but you have to watch the temperature of the ESC and motor closely. With the car body on and 7 cells, it got hot pretty quickly. I also got in the new Intellect IB 3800 pre-made 7 cell packs, but I noticed they lack the 'punch' that the GP cells deliver.
I'd say you get about 10 mins out of the GP3300 6 cell packs and about 15-20 mins from the 7 cell packs.
If I use a bigger pinion, the XXX-T MF2 gets to 60 kph (40 mph), maybe more but as I said, it will get hot quicker as you put more strain on the motor.

Just ask me if you want to know anything else.
Thanks for the reply, it's exactly what i wanted to hear. i think i have enough information for now so more questions later if i can come up with some.
Old Sep 07, 2005, 07:52 PM
.::EVADER::.
Kingston, Ontario
Joined Sep 2005
150 Posts
Quote:
Hi all, I'm a newbie to this site.

I have a Losi XXX-T MF2 (and a MF1) and I've been running a Novak 5800SS for about a year now. It's been a very good motor, but I want to upgrade big time!
I saw my friend run 12 cells on his Hacker c40 8t and was absolutely stunned by the speed. The Novak is limited only at 7 cells. I was gonna get the Hacker, but I would like something MORE powerful even. I'm interested in the Lehner range. They seem powerful and cheaper, but still good quality.
The Lehner basic XL4200 looks good. It's suggested to be run at 6-12 cells which is exactly the range I'm looking at. The problem is it's rated at 110 amps!
But then there's also the basic 4200 not XL (6-10 cell) which is rated at 45-55A.
What's the difference between the performance of the basic and the basic XL series? I know the XL's run cooler and are a bit bigger. I don't really want to spend a fortune on a speedy that can handle 110A if I don't have to.
Could I get a cheap ESC (I saw one on eBay for under $100) that's rated 80/100A and use it with say maximum 10 cells on the XL4200 (110A) without frying it?

If anyone knows a bit about these, I would appreciate any input.

regards,
Marco
Dude the 4200xl wont be 2 great!... cause its made 4 the the e-maxx!, cause its an XL can... u want! the regular can, and get a 5300 basic and run 12 cells, on rcu a bud of mine got 78 mph!(ina xxxt) geared correctly, and still had 8 minute run times!. and he was runnin nimh batts!
S.A.E.W.O.T. is offline Find More Posts by S.A.E.W.O.T.
Old Sep 08, 2005, 01:54 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2005
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.E.W.O.T.
Dude the 4200xl wont be 2 great!... cause its made 4 the the e-maxx!, cause its an XL can... u want! the regular can, and get a 5300 basic and run 12 cells, on rcu a bud of mine got 78 mph!(ina xxxt) geared correctly, and still had 8 minute run times!. and he was runnin nimh batts!

DOH! I already ordered it. I'll just have to try it and see. I'm gonna put a high pinion in and see how that goes. The guy from the shop said the XLs had pretty much same performance as the basics, just were bigger and therefore ran cooler. They even said you could go a lower motor and gear it higher and they would run even cooler. And the website says the XL2000 to the XL3100 are good for the e-maxx.
So the basic 5300 would get better top speeds? The reason I didn't go for that one is on the website ( http://www.rc-monster.com/products.php?cat=35 ) it says the 5300 is good for 6-8 cells. The basic 4200 6-10 cells.
Old Sep 08, 2005, 02:14 PM
United States
Joined Dec 2004
1,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.E.W.O.T.
78 mph and 8 minute run times??? i don't know about you but that doesn't sound right to me.
Old Sep 08, 2005, 02:45 PM
.::EVADER::.
Kingston, Ontario
Joined Sep 2005
150 Posts
lol yea doesn't sound right 2 me either!...lol

but thats jus what he told us. he asctuaally had the radar gun on it tho. and it did hit 78.1 mph.

u see.. a 5300 will get more rpms of less cells (high kv) and on the same cells as that 4200 it will go much faster!

a 5300 on 12 cells creates 76,320rpms!
A 4200 on 12 cells creates 60,480rpms!

as u can see, the 5300 will kill it!... but ur 4200 will have more torque and longer run times.
S.A.E.W.O.T. is offline Find More Posts by S.A.E.W.O.T.
Old Sep 08, 2005, 03:18 PM
United States
Joined Dec 2004
1,893 Posts
yea, but it still doesn't make alot of sense. 8 minutes on minh batts??? with a 3800 Mah max capacity and high amps draw? i can see it going over 78 mph but the runtime is not right.
Old Sep 08, 2005, 07:55 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2005
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TueLe
yea, but it still doesn't make alot of sense. 8 minutes on minh batts??? with a 3800 Mah max capacity and high amps draw? i can see it going over 78 mph but the runtime is not right.

It's probably right if you consider it's running 12 cells. Already when I use 7 cells I notice the increase in run time, so 12 cells would last twice as long as 6 cells, wouldn't it? I usually got up to 10 mins racing with 6 cell 3300's. These 7 cell 3700's I haven't even been able to use a full battery without the system getting too hot after about 10-15 mins!
Old Sep 09, 2005, 02:11 PM
United States
Joined Dec 2004
1,893 Posts
i guess you're right then. lol they should make brushless more affordable so everyone can have one.
Old Sep 09, 2005, 06:02 PM
Joined May 2004
139 Posts
78 is true
Doahh is offline Find More Posts by Doahh