SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 01, 2005, 06:22 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Aug 2002
1,858 Posts
Need info on an AC Lithium-Polymer Charger??

Hello,
I am looking for some input on what a good AC-compatible LIPO charger would be. I will be charging mostly 3-cell 2500mah batteries.

I wont have the availability of a car battery while in my dorm room, so I need a charger I can plug into the wall.

Thanx -Patrick

PS- If I was to connect my DC Charger to one of those wall converters, what would the output need to be to charge 3-cell batteries? I know it would need to be 12V DC, but what about the MAH output.
putt_13 is offline Find More Posts by putt_13
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2005, 06:30 PM
Lance Armstrong- 7 times!
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
It depends what your charge rate is. 1C for a 2500 is 2.5 amps, so any adapter that puts out 3 amps will work. Of course, if you have a smaller adapter, you can just charge at a lower rate. Just make sure you dont push the adapter too much or the voltage will drop.

I finally broke down and bought a Radio Shack 15 amp power supply, but you can get computer power supplies much cheaper.

-Hans
flybike is offline Find More Posts by flybike
Old Sep 01, 2005, 06:33 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
Or surplus switching power supplies
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Sep 01, 2005, 06:43 PM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
putt_13, per your request, moved to the battery forum.

Cheers,
Patrick.
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
Last edited by Patrick Plawner; Sep 02, 2005 at 03:27 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2005, 06:59 PM
Multi discipline RC'er
Netherlands
Joined Aug 2005
170 Posts
Maybe you can use an old computer power supply. Check the wattage of the supply and do some internet research on how to make it work with a normal switch. Most computer power supplies can't be put on without a load, so you need a resistor to make things work. Check the internet for instructions (I used dutch instructions, don't think you can read dutch )
MrHmmm is online now Find More Posts by MrHmmm
Old Sep 01, 2005, 07:36 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Alternatively, there IS one AC/DC lithium-capable charger I'm aware of. I've just started testing one - it's called the WattAge Charge-It-All Sport. So far it is doing exactly what is claimed for it. http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/130116.asp

I'm generally not in favor of multi-chemistry chargers simply because all it takes is one mistake of charging lithium on the nickel setting and you have "venting with flames". But on this one which mode it's in is pretty clearly displayed and easy to verify before pushing "start".

Of course if you have a suitable DC charger you can get an adequate power supply for much less than the cost of this WattAge charger.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Sep 01, 2005, 11:26 PM
USA, TX, Live Oak
Joined Oct 2002
684 Posts
Take a look at Balsa Products. They have a plug-in AC charger for 3 cell lipos for only $12 It will take a little longer to charge, but what a deal!

Link: http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/battN...ductId=V723156
ptglass is offline Find More Posts by ptglass
Old Sep 09, 2005, 01:18 AM
Henderson, Nevada
Joined Mar 2000
435 Posts
Has anyone ever used this type of charger at Balsa Products for $12.00? It seems fairly foolproof, plug it in and wait for the green light. I only need AC LiPo charging, this seems ideal. Any opinions and experiences?
docprego is offline Find More Posts by docprego
Old Sep 24, 2005, 09:54 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Aug 2005
1,110 Posts
bec, have you made any conclusions on your testing of the charge-it-all? What I'm looking for is does it charge lipos anywhere close to as much capacity as possible or near what a af109,triton,ice,schultze, similar charger? I was looking at the hobbico mkII, and the pro-peak prodigy II, how would this one compare? Besides the obvious of ac/dc, can you compare it with these two? Does it charge, say a 2 cell lipo to 8.4v or like the mkII ~8.2v? Interested in your testing results. Thanks

Todd
savydad is offline Find More Posts by savydad
Last edited by savydad; Sep 24, 2005 at 09:58 PM. Reason: pf12 doesn't charge lipo, changed to pro-peak prodigyII
Old Sep 24, 2005, 09:58 PM
Undecided, Canada
Joined Aug 2005
341 Posts
The Vision Peak Ultra is worth looking at. Will do all types of cell and has a few bells and whistles.
deSelby is offline Find More Posts by deSelby
Old Sep 24, 2005, 10:10 PM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
1,494 Posts
http://parts.rctoys.com/rc-toys-hobbies/Items/410110?
adamg is offline Find More Posts by adamg
Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:19 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Todd,

I went to my graphs and I've only done one of this charger on lithium - it brought a 3s Kokam 910 pack up to about 12.55V. So, if that's typical it charges more fully than the much discussed Hobbico Mk. II. I don't have any experience or knowledge of the ProPeak Prodigy. This level is a touch below what the AF 109 does, but I, for one, would not quibble about 0.05V (or less than 0.02V per cell).

deSelby - that looks interesting. It seems to have similar capabilities to the WattAge charger I suggested along with a readout of current and voltage.

Adamg - that's not a bad idea - teaming the TP-425 with an adequate power supply. Strangely enough I have a DC power supply that looks like the one Dragan is selling from a dead flat panel monitor that drives the TP-425 nicely and the plugs are even compatible.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Sep 25, 2005, 01:48 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Aug 2005
1,110 Posts
ok, thanks bec. I've been doing some research on chargers as I need one soon for my smaller nimh's at the field. I plan on lipos sometime in the near future and trying to find which would best suit my needs. the wattage also charges at up to 3 amps on lipos, which would seriously help if I go to 2000mah or up as the mkII only does 1 amp max. I looked over hobbypeople's site, and they have a different brand charger with the exact case the wattage has, called the "black widow" and it has a lcd screen. Lots of info to explore still, and I'll research it to death before I decide. Thanks for the report, it does charge a bit more than the mkII.

Todd
Old Sep 25, 2005, 01:18 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,917 Posts
http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/battN...ductId=V936375

Add that to any charger and you are set.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Sep 25, 2005, 11:13 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Aug 2005
1,110 Posts
thanks LT, but ac/dc isn't really a concern for me, just fuller charging and all types compatible. I've got a pyramid 15A ps for the house, and both my chargers are dc.

Todd