HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2005, 08:25 PM
Kamikaze Heli Pilot
Japan
Joined Jul 2005
466 Posts
Header Tank Installation Method

****Newbie Alert*****

Okay, I know what a header does but I haven't been able to find anything on plumbing.

Can anyone offer any information or a link that describes what goes where? Any hints and tips on most conveient method of filling and draining etc?

Also, what engine tuning changes might be required when running with one?

Thanks
archiebald is offline Find More Posts by archiebald
Last edited by archiebald; Aug 31, 2005 at 08:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2005, 09:22 PM
Long Island
Joined Nov 2003
588 Posts
The carb goes to the header, the header vent goes to the tank. The tank vent goes to the muffler. I fill mine through the carb line leading to the header. I didn't have to adjust the engine after installing.
techguy is offline Find More Posts by techguy
Old Aug 31, 2005, 09:50 PM
Kamikaze Heli Pilot
Japan
Joined Jul 2005
466 Posts
Thanks, some more questions though.

For filling do you remove the line off the carb each time or do you use a T-piece. If so do you have to pinch the line going to the carb, and similarly for draining? Or is there a check valve that can be used in the joint?

If there is fuel remaining in the main tank, how do you remove it? Is it necessary to pull off a hose or can you draw it through the header tank?

Any fuel filters? Some peple say use them during filling only since they might lead to fuel flow problems if placed in line.

I saw one picture where a guy had put what looked like a filter on the line from the exhaust to the tank. Any comments?
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:36 PM
It's a really big number.
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
If you use a T piece, you need to pinch off the line to the carby or fuel will get pumped down there as well.

Since the system is a closed loop, sucking the fuel out of the header causes more fuel to be sucked out of the main tank to replace it. When the main runs dry, only then with the header tank drain. So just pump out the fuel via the carby line and it'll empty both tanks.

Fuel filters are a good idea somewhere in the system. Filtering the fuel on the way in is one way of doing it. Putting one on the heli is also a good idea - some dirt may get into the filler during use and it takes very little to plug the carby needle. Use GOOD quality filters on the heli, as cheapies tend not to have a bubble trap, and will block if a good sized bubble works it's way into the system. Better filters have a conical mesh filter and chamber before and after the mesh - this affords a larger surface area on the filter mesh and allows fuel flow even if half blocked by bubbles. Just make sure the filler is nice and clean and you can usually omit an on board filter if nessessary.

The second filter on the muffler line is to stop crud from the muffler (baked oil scum and carbon) getting into the main tank and hence the fuel lines.

What combination you use is personal choice. On one of my helis, I use a t-peice with intergral filter and fuel tap to cut off the carby for filling plus exhaust line filter because it is a scale heli and the fuel system is hard to get to, so I did the super paranoid thing. On another scale job I remove the carby line to fill and have no filters on board at all as I can visually inspect / clean the system with ease. Never had a problem with either...

-Tim

P.S. If you do use on board filters, they only work if kept clean .
Googleplex is offline Find More Posts by Googleplex
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:50 PM
Kamikaze Heli Pilot
Japan
Joined Jul 2005
466 Posts
Quote:
P.S. If you do use on board filters, they only work if kept clean
Hah hah, reminds me of some of my customers with refrigerant chillers and water system filtration. Had a couple that got blocked heat exchangers because they were running with empty filter casings.

When I asked the reason why the filters were missing, they replied, "if we install a filter it just gets blocked up!" DOH!!
Old Sep 01, 2005, 12:26 AM
xADRYANx
Toronto,Canada
Joined Jun 2005
277 Posts
The following is from heliproz and they have a great explanation with a picture.

"Header" tanks are highly recommended on any R/C helicopter. Besides adding fuel capacity, the header tank prevents any chance of air being drawn into the engine feed line since the header tank stays completely full until your main tank is empty.

Below right is a typical installation. Note that the outlet on the header tank is in the preferred position, just slightly below the center of the carburetor. In this case a mounting hole was drilled in the frame (Kalt 46 Baron), but in many cases you can use an existing hole to mount the tank.

The CLUNK line on the header tank is attached to the carburetor feed line. Here you see the JR "T" fuel filter and KSJ fuel line clamp and plug, which is the neatest and most efficient setup but is not required. The VENT line on the header tank is connected to the CLUNK line on the MAIN fuel tank. The main fuel tank's vent line is connected to the muffler pressure tap, or to the pressure tap on the YS engines.

Fueling is done through the header tank clunk line. When the header is full the fuel "vents" into the main tank. In operation, the engine draws from the header tank which in turn draws fuel in from the main tank.
xADRYANx is offline Find More Posts by xADRYANx
Old Sep 01, 2005, 01:03 AM
Alabama
Joined Feb 2003
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xADRYANx
The following is from heliproz ...
Except for the tank type, this is exactly how my Raptor30 is plumbed. Notice the T-Filter (blue thingie in the middle). It is a two-part filter that screws together. The black line is an o-ring between the two halves. The filter screen is in the half connected to the carb. Make sure you get the orientation right. The clamp with plug teether is also a great idea. Very clean and simple set up.

d.tipton
tippy is offline Find More Posts by tippy