HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2002, 01:41 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,022 Posts
Hobby Lobby Bumble Bee Twin

Has anyone gotten this model to ROW. I have been looking for a neat little twin seaplane, and this might do the trick, if I can get some positive feedback as to its water performance.

Thanks, Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2002, 02:55 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Tom,
To my knowledge, noone has gotten it to ROW yet. The plane is a lot of fun to fly but ROW has eluded us. If anyone has done this, PLEASE let us know how you did it!!! I could get it to tool around the pool well but it won't get on step, it keeps noseing into the water.
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old May 06, 2002, 07:12 PM
nw ohio
Joined Jan 2002
491 Posts
ive seen this electric and it looks like it wont row. id still want to get it even if you had to handlauch. how is the flying with it? you could always upgrade the electronics to get it to ROW.
Jeff
easy2fly is offline Find More Posts by easy2fly
Old May 06, 2002, 10:31 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,022 Posts
Don, are you holding full up elevator when you begin your takeoff run. With the engines mounted so high, the thrust line is above the wing, it will always want to nose over upon application of full power. My Hobby Lobby Aventura II does the same thing with it's motor mounted on the pod. Without full up on the beginning of the run, it will submarine every time. Try holding full up for a few seconds until the plane has accelerated to a decent speed, then ease off on the elevator and let it run until it reaches flying speed. I hear it flies well once it is airborne. Is that so? Tom
Old May 06, 2002, 10:37 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Yes Tom, it does fly well. I did a review on it for the E-Zone and am very happy with the plane overall. The glue that comes with it is garbage and caused a major crash. I also cut more out of the wing without strengthing it and that folded the wings in front of a big group of slimers. That was my fault because I wanted access to the servos. I glued it back together and it still flies!! I'm using 8 maxcells for power. I'll pull the wheels back off and attempt the Full Up trick, I'll alos move the outriggers forward too and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the ideas!!
Old May 07, 2002, 12:04 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,022 Posts
Don, the length of those wing floats is critical too. When the plane is at rest in the water, hold the wings level and neither float should touch the water. If they are both in the water when the plane is at rest, they are too long. Shorten them so they are both about 1/2 inch out of the water at rest with the wings level. Too long and they will catch on takeoff and cause a water loop, too short and they will allow the model, at rest, to list to one side or the other and get blown over in the slightest breeze.

I had to lengthen mine on the Adventura II by one inch. That worked out fine. At first I tried 1 1/2 inches, but if I had to make a rudder correction during takeoff, one wing float would catch and cause the water loop. Let me know how you make out. I was going to buy a Bumble Bee from Hobby Lobby, but if it will not ROW, I'm not interested. It's not Hobby Lobby's fault, it may be a design flaw.

Tom
Old May 09, 2002, 03:16 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,022 Posts
Are your finals over yet Don I can't wait to find out if my suggestions work for you. Keep me posted. Tom
Old May 09, 2002, 03:36 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
JATO! ESTES TO THE RESCUE! Dee plane...dee plane..is also available from www.rc-dymond.com They may have an answer.
Best Regards
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old May 09, 2002, 03:47 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,022 Posts
ALL MY PROPS ARE BALANCED AND SECURED, SIR !

I am the one out of balance. I know that Dymond has had the BB available for a month or two, and was hoping that someone who got one of theirs would let me know if it will ROW. Hobby Lobby just got them. Tom
Old May 09, 2002, 04:08 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Tom,
Even with full up rudder and moving the floats around more, I can't get it to ROW. I tried all throttle settings from full out to easing it on up into the wild blue yonder but no go. Even with the battery on the bottom of the keel it tilts one side or the other and the outriggers dig in and over she goes. In the directions the MFG mentions that they haven't ROW'd either. It's an unusual plane but still no go on the ROW!!! Any more ideas?? I'm a rookie at sea planes, that's why I wanted to review it...
Old May 09, 2002, 10:09 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,022 Posts
Don, the only other twin I flew from water was the Wingo Porter last year. I put it on a set of balsa ARF floats I had sitting here and took it to the pond. With the motors on the wings in pusher fashion, no air was being blown on the tail and I could not steer it around on the water, and taking off was a bear. Even with a water rudder, it would torque off to the left and full right rudder wouldn't keep it straight. It would finally lift off from this hugh sweeping left arch, but what a time it was. Once airborne it flew great. I removed the floats, sold the plane at NEAT, and put the floats on my Great Planes E-Cub. It flies great, and I can steer it around the pond like a motor boat, nothing like the Porter. You might be having the same problem with the Bumble Bee twin. Does it have a water rudder. Tom
Old May 10, 2002, 05:35 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
No water rudder Tom, they have a non steerable wheel on the back of the keel for ROG but no rudder for ROW. Here's a poor photo of it in the water.
Old May 10, 2002, 11:23 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,022 Posts
Don, the nose of that model is very short. It should project about 2 inches out in front of those props. That would help, but there is nothing you can do about that now. The props look like they are almost in the water too. As soon as the nose begins to dip from the application of power, the props are going to hit. Shorter props might help. The wing floats should be out of the water about 1/2 inch as the plane sits at rest as in the photo, and they should be farther out on the wings. Maybe 1/2 the span. That way there is less chance of one diging in on takeoff. A water rudder is essential too. See what you can do about putting something on the bottom of the rudder and have it project down into the water about one inch. Make it pivot though, in case you strike something while it is in the water, so it can kick back up out of harms way. If it's rigid, it will rip your entire rudder off when you hit something, and believe, you will. I once bounced off of a turtle. He was just coming to the surface and poped up right in front of the plane while it was on it's takeoff run. It poked a hole in the hull, and I think he got a concussion out of it. A small sheet of stiff clear plastic bolted to the rudder using only one bolt and sticking down into the water would do. Keep it light. Tom

Steve, your return e mail address isn't valid. I would like to answer your questions about my GP E-Cub on floats, but it will not let me reply. I tried twice. Tom
Last edited by Tom Smith; May 10, 2002 at 01:33 PM.