SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:58 PM
electric fly
3rd rock from the sun--east coast
Joined Sep 2004
194 Posts
Great Planes Seawind amphibian

Looking at the Great Planes Seawind for possible electric power using AXI 4120 series motor. There's plenty of room under the cockpit and mounting the motor looks easy with a lot of room under the cowl.

Looking for input.

Thanks, Wayne...
killerstick is online now Find More Posts by killerstick
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2005, 01:20 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,608 Posts
Based on the suggested weight of 10 to 12 pounds, I would suggest that you consider the 4130/16 on 6S instead. In the manual it mentions that a 3 bladed prop is required for prop clearance. You will also probably want to go with a 3 or 4 blade Vario Prop so that you can adjust the pitch to load the motor and keep the diameter to 13 or 14 inches. It is not possible to determine for sure that a 14 inch prop will fit from browsing the manual. Depending on the type of performance that you desire, it may be better to go with a geared inrunner motor to allow for more rpm with a smaller prop because of the limited prop diameter.
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Old Aug 31, 2005, 01:28 PM
electric fly
3rd rock from the sun--east coast
Joined Sep 2004
194 Posts
Great input about the prop clearance. Thanks

Need to get the centerline distance to the fuse for motor selection.
killerstick is online now Find More Posts by killerstick
Old Sep 05, 2005, 05:06 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined May 2000
2 Posts
Any thoughts on using an electric ducted fan for this sharp looking seawind kit? Too heavy? Too much fuselage rework?
lymantok is offline Find More Posts by lymantok
Old Sep 13, 2005, 07:59 PM
Joined Aug 2004
14 Posts
A 14" prop does not fit the Seawind. 13" is the maximum.
rcmob is offline Find More Posts by rcmob
Old Sep 14, 2005, 10:06 AM
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Jul 2002
1,249 Posts
Thanks for the input RCMob. Have you measured it yourself or did you hear it some where?

Does any one knew if it is possible to use the retractable gears when flying of water? Or is the wheel wells not water tight?

// Fredrik Wergeland
Sweden
Fredrik W is offline Find More Posts by Fredrik W
Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:08 AM
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Sep 2003
1,134 Posts
Any thoughts about going with something like this:

Mega 22/30/4
8s lipo
Low gear ratio like 2:1
13x10 APC e prop

It seem like a good direction when I pluged it into motocalc. I don't have any experience with this setup, but thought it might spur you to look in a different direction.

John
jonnyjetprop is offline Find More Posts by jonnyjetprop
Old Sep 20, 2005, 12:30 PM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
2,000 Posts
Fredrik. Robart is making retracts for this plane. On towerhobby.com search @ enter robq1622. You'll find them. I really like this plane. I thinks it's going to be a 12 pounder by the time it EP'ed, maybe a bit more. Any ideas for power? A Axi would be nice, but if the prop diameter is limited, that may not be the best choice.

jonnyjetprop, looks like a good idea, what weight did you use?
gouda is offline Find More Posts by gouda
Old Sep 23, 2005, 06:50 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,449 Posts
I'm using an AXI 4120/10 with a 12x10x3 prop and I'm getting almost 8000 rpm at 60A on 5s...

I think low winding (i.e.10) AXI's work well with smallish diameters of a 3 blade prop...

Jeff

p.s. more motor info at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372589
workshop is offline Find More Posts by workshop
Old Sep 24, 2005, 03:51 AM
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Jul 2002
1,249 Posts
4120/10??? Never heard about that motor before. And I cant find it on Model Motors site either! Where did you buy it?

// Fredrik Wergeland
Sweden
Fredrik W is offline Find More Posts by Fredrik W
Old Oct 04, 2005, 02:04 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik W
Thanks for the input RCMob. Have you measured it yourself or did you hear it some where?

Does any one knew if it is possible to use the retractable gears when flying of water? Or is the wheel wells not water tight?

// Fredrik Wergeland
Sweden
With the stock setup, you cannot use the retracts on a flight off water, as GP suggests taping the nose gear well closed with some type of cover.

An enterprising modeler could probably modify the aircraft with a fully sealed nose gear retract bay and some water resistant doors.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Oct 04, 2005, 08:04 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
There's another thread about the use of retracts and operating off water...

Basicly.. they want you to seal the door with tape to protect the retract mechanism from being damaged by immersion-corrosion.

Its not hard to seal up the "bay" the retract is in and still operate the retracts.. and the plane accelerating in the water should drain the bay quickly if the door is not sealed. So all you have to do is make sure the main hull won't flood via the gear bay.

It may be possible to grease the retracts on a regular basis and prevent corrosion damage... but they are not designed for being immersed...

And if it has foam tires.. you'd want differnt tires. You don't want them acting as sponges when you taxi into the water, pull the wheels up and do a take-off.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771