SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:38 AM
Fort Collins, CO USA
Joined Jun 2005
164 Posts
Advice for good general purpose motor for foamies?

Hi all,

Having just built 2 GBv motors, neither of which work correctly and having ordered 2 more Strong motors, I'm here seeking advice on buying CHEAP motors

My thoughts on the foamies is that I want to build and have fun without spending an arm and a leg ($25 Strong motor + CC10 ESC is not "cheap"). I'd like to be able to just buy 10 or so motors to have sitting around which I can embed in a FFF plane and not feel guilty.

I'm interested in doing stuff like the Albacorde, Flash in the Pan, HOOT, and similar stuff. I don't need rockets, as I will still keep a couple of the brushless setups for that. I'll be flying with 15C Kokam 640mah 2 and 3 cell Lipos. I'd probably buy the cheap GWS ESCs for these too.

It seems that the IPS motors are pretty small and the next jump-up seems to be the 300-ish motors. The J-250 looked like a great $2 all-purpose foamie motor, but as you all know, those are getting hard to find.

So, I'd like to collect advice (and links if appropriate) on where I can get a handful of cheap ($2 or so each would be ideal) motors which would be appropriate for a beginner FFF builder to stick on planes and just have a good time with. I figure that I can branch-out into the more specialized motors, like the IPS, later-on when I'm exploring FFF further. Oh yeah, if a gearbox is needed, please mention that (and keep it cheap ) I just need to get some supplies like this in my toolbox so I can get building!

Thanks,
Mike
micsaund is offline Find More Posts by micsaund
Last edited by micsaund; Aug 31, 2005 at 10:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2005, 02:30 PM
Growing Older . . Not Up!
Almost beautiful downtown Olga, Florida
Joined Jul 2005
29 Posts
Try this link. 10 will get U free shipping.

http://www.windrider.com.hk/products/product.cfm?id=14
still_slanted is offline Find More Posts by still_slanted
Last edited by still_slanted; Aug 31, 2005 at 02:32 PM. Reason: add info
Old Aug 31, 2005, 02:48 PM
Trapped in California
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2003
1,857 Posts
I have a lot of fun (still) with brushed Speed 400's direct-drive with 6x3 or 6x4 props, 8-cell nimh packs. These motors are $5 - $10 each. I think the J250 motors are only a few bucks.
foamflyer is offline Find More Posts by foamflyer
Old Aug 31, 2005, 03:27 PM
Growing Older . . Not Up!
Almost beautiful downtown Olga, Florida
Joined Jul 2005
29 Posts
He wanted 2buck motors so . . . there they are :-) Johnsons 10 for 20bucks free shipping. Pretty good deal me thinks.
still_slanted is offline Find More Posts by still_slanted
Old Aug 31, 2005, 04:28 PM
Fort Collins, CO USA
Joined Jun 2005
164 Posts
Just ordered some - thanks! I figure that I'll grab a gearbox to have in the building tool box at some point also, but for now, the J250s definitely meet the "cheap" bill

Mike
Old Sep 05, 2005, 08:17 PM
Fort Collins, CO USA
Joined Jun 2005
164 Posts
OK, now that I have a J250 supply coming-in for direct-drive stuff, how about advice on a good, general purpose gearbox/motor combo to get a couple of for larger-prop (ie. GWS 1047 which I happen to have a few of planes like the Hoot? I was thinking that the GWS LPS series with the C gear ratio looked good, but naturally, my LHS does not carry the LPS stuff, so before I place *yet another* mail order, I want to make sure that I'm getting something useful!

Thanks,
Mike