HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2005, 09:36 PM
Hey Now
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
2,655 Posts
Senior Telemaster conversion thread

I'm getting ready to convert my Senior Telemaster to electric. The Telemaster is the first R/C prop plane I built about 5 years ago. I have now sold the engine and taken the throttle servo, pushrod and fuel system out.
I am looking to get a motor mount for a Mega 22/20/2 turn with a gearbox. Does anyone know where to get an aluminum firewall motor mount that will fit a Mega Motors 22/20/2 w/gearbox?
The power system I was thinking of trying first is a Mega Motors 22/20/2 with a 5:1 gearbox using either a 3 cell lipo or a 10 round cell pack. If neither of these batteries will work I'll go with a 20 cell NiMh pack.
-Scott
speleopower is offline Find More Posts by speleopower
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:18 PM
Joined Feb 2004
155 Posts
I used the stock beam style wood mount, just cut a new plywood plate to fit a clamshell mount I got from MEC. I am using a MaxCim N32-13Y motor with a 3 to 1 MEC Superbox, 16X12 APC prop on 20 GP-3300 cells...just a bit overpowered..
Bill Hawthorne is offline Find More Posts by Bill Hawthorne
Last edited by Bill Hawthorne; Aug 31, 2005 at 08:27 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 02:47 PM
New York, NY
Joined Oct 2000
444 Posts
Sr. Telemaster

Hi Scott and Bill,
We have a real small Sr. Telemaster club, I imagine. I built mine about a dozen years ago. It's covered with doped Sig Koverall and I modified it so the wings are bolted on with 4 bolts. Its never had an engine in it, I too have and plan to use a MaxCim. Plenty of room for the old MaxCim ESC and certainly not a weight problem. I got sidetracked with a million other projects and never did get to the motor installation and at the time Li-Poly was not an option. Thinking of going with Li-Poly, but hope I won't need ballast. Perhaps you guys will be the inspiration to get it finished and flying. Sick of staring at that monster wing everytime I enter the shop...it's like a hangnail. On the motor mount...I was going to use the firewall mount sold by MaxCim, using a "box" to bring it to the right position vis a vis the nose...but I'm a little leary of not having the MEC box independently supported. I don't think the stock aluminum landing gear will clear a large diameter electric prop. Any suggestions as to an alternative?
Alan
Alan H. Siegel is offline Find More Posts by Alan H. Siegel
Old Aug 31, 2005, 03:40 PM
Joined Feb 2004
155 Posts
Hi Alan, hurry up and get that baby done..you'll never want to fly anything else on lazy days!! Don't worry about the MEC box, they don't need any support in this application..as for the landing gear, I have 4" wheels (grass field) on the stock aluminum gear and I have no problems with a 16" prop...just make sure that you mount the prop in the same position as it would have been with a glo engine. Don't think you will have any balance problems as my 20 cells are on the CG. Only bad part of this conversion is your mouth gets tired because of the big smile everytime you fly it!!
Last edited by Bill Hawthorne; Aug 31, 2005 at 08:26 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 06:55 PM
New York, NY
Joined Oct 2000
444 Posts
Sr. Telemaster

Well, Bill, I couldn't ask for anything more inspirational than that! I have a few "problems" I have to address. I set it up per the plan, i.e. a single servo in the center of the wing. I think, now, with the benefit of 15 years more experience, that I should install a separate servo in each wing. Since it is now covered this will require a bit of surgery to get the servo leads out where they're needed. I toyed with the idea of just taping them to the underside of the wing, but that's terribly inelegant, and the old girl deserves better. I guess it will only hurt for a minute . Did you use standard servos? I have a load of old Futaba S148s, which I always found reliable although they were the subjects of ridicule "back then." Hmm, maybe it's time to spring for the latest "standard" Futabas. I bought a load of blue and yellow Randolph dope when the bones were finished. I'll have to check if it's still good. I was going to use a pre WWII color scheme. I just found the carton of Randolph dope and thinner and they slosh in the can so that bodes well...glad I never opened them! Well, you fellows started something.
Thanks...I think .
Regards,
Alan
Old Sep 01, 2005, 12:45 PM
Hey Now
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
2,655 Posts
two wing servos

Hey! Go ahead and cut the covering and put in the two servos for the ailerons. I am using some inexpensive Hitec standard servos. They worked perfect while flying on glo.
I may just build a plywood motor mount and glue it to the front of the stock hardwood motor mounts. Or maybe screw it into the front of the hardwood motor mounts so I can shim it to change the thrust angles if needed.

I built it during 2001-2 and flew it last during summer of 2003. I'm getting a r/c parachuter this week and want to drop it. Plus my gliders are tired of riding the winch up into the air.

I was thinking either 3 lipo cells and if that's not enough maybe 15 round cells. I would have to chop up some of my 10cell round cell packs.

See ya-Scott
Old Sep 01, 2005, 04:44 PM
New York, NY
Joined Oct 2000
444 Posts
Hi Scott,
Bill suggested just using two servos attached to the torque rods and avoid invading the wing. Sounds good to me!
Why not just stack two 10 cell packs in series and avoid "chopping." You can always throttle back. Did you decide on the motor yet and run the numbers on Motocalc or ElectriCalc? I had a Motocalc "empty weight" of 103 oz...if that helps.
Alan
Old Sep 01, 2005, 05:19 PM
Hey Now
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
2,655 Posts
Motor selection-

I'm not sure which power system I am going to go with. I'll do some in the field tests with the equipment I have on hand in the next couple of months.

I have a few motors that could power the Telemaster. One is a Mega 22/20/2 with a 5:1 gear box. I hope this system will power it well enough. It flys my E3D and hovers it at a little below 1/2 throttle. I get about 420watts of power at full with the Mega 22/20/2 and a 3 cell lipo.
If this does not fly it then I can increase the number of cells and give it another go. If it still does not fly I have a couple of large "no name" experimental motors that will power it no problem.

The biggest problem I had with my Telemaster is getting it to land. It just floats and floats and floats and floats. I am going to dial in spoilers instead of flaps and see if it helps. I also have a set of sailplane wing spoilers I can install just for kicks.

See ya-Scott
Last edited by speleopower; Sep 01, 2005 at 05:22 PM. Reason: added picture
Old Sep 01, 2005, 05:22 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Here's the info on one I saw fly at the King RC meet in Winston-Salem, NC last weekend.

95" span, 7lb 4oz, Thunder Power 4S3P 2100mA AXI 4120/14 14 x 7" APC-E. CF UC from "Graphtec" and Hangar 9 Ultracoat. Flew like a charm, was off the runway in a couple of model lengths.

That little bitty prop looked lost on the front of so much model, and the entire top front deck and 'windscreen' came off in one piece for battery access - the TP was right up front for CG reasons.

And it even had a dummy engine!

Appreciate that there's a lot of Telemaster variants around, this one the builder told me was a "Telemaster Senior"
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Sep 03, 2005, 08:52 AM
Joined Jul 2002
169 Posts
This one belongs to my friend Shelton Fields. He spent a lot of time to keep things really light, but it flys great.He is getting two or even 3 long flights per charge.People are always asking him what "engine" he has on it!

Charles
flattop is offline Find More Posts by flattop
Old Sep 03, 2005, 12:18 PM
Joined Feb 2004
155 Posts
A couple of pics of my Sr.
Last edited by Bill Hawthorne; Sep 08, 2005 at 08:30 PM. Reason: pics.
Old Sep 05, 2005, 12:06 AM
Hey Now
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
2,655 Posts
Hey! I just ordered a clamshell mount from MEC. I have a monster box which I will also use.
Does anyone have a rib template for the Telemaster? I am thinking of building a new wing and making it flat/no dihedral. I saw one with no dihedral and it had wing struts. It looked much better than mine with dihedral. It also flew great.
See ya-Scott
p.s. just ruined a 8000mah 7.4volt Thunder Power pack. I left it plugged into the ESC of my Team Associated T3 Stadium truck. I race off road R/C cars on occasion.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 03:16 PM
Hey Now
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
2,655 Posts
I made significant progress today. I recieved the motor mounts from MEC. My only beef is the lollipops they included in the package. I left them in the model room and when I came to get them in the morning they and the table were covered in ants That will teach me not to eat my lollipops.
First I knocked out part of the wall seperating the main radio compartment from the fuel tank compartment. Next I fit some balsa sticks to the floor of the old fuel tank compartment. These are going to get sanded to provide a flat surface to mount a long battery "tray" onto. The tray is going to go from the front to just below the old switch in the radio compartment. I'll then fasten the batteries down with velcro.
I fashioned a new motor mount plate. I'll fasten the ESC in the cowl area just below the motor. This will keep the ESC outside of the fuse in some airflow. Or maybe mount the ESC in the old fuel tank compartment on the wall if it does not show any signs of overheating.
Battery access will be through the old fuel tank compartment cover or through the radio compartment.
See ya-Scott
p.s. I recieved my Junior Jumper which is a R/C Parachutist. It won't get all greasy now!!!
Old Sep 12, 2005, 04:56 PM
Winchester; Ohio
Joined Feb 2001
876 Posts
Looks good Scott; Im going to build a Senior Telemaster this winter. I recently lost my regular Telemaster to a enconter with a tree so I figure that is a sign to upgrade to something bigger
My kit is coming, if you still need a template for a rib Ill get a copy for you.

I keep hearing rumors of the 144" Telemaster kit coming out again. Ive got a set of plans that I keep meaning to build off of but if the kit is available

Adam
Adam Neat is offline Find More Posts by Adam Neat
Old Sep 12, 2005, 07:20 PM
Hey Now
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
2,655 Posts
Battery tray is finished. At least two Velcro straps will go around the battery tray. The battery tray is built up off the floor for this purpose.

I ended up augering a hole through the firewall for the ESC, BEC etc. I've decieded to add a top part to the cowl to enclose everything. Maybe build on a dummy glow engine.

Oh, the best part is balance works pretty much ok with 20 Nimh cells all the way forward. It balanced on the spar. I did not have all of the equipment in but I wanted to get a feeling for what was needed for balance. I can adjust the position of the battery to get a final perfect balance. The airplane is going to get heavier in the nose with the ESC, RX, velcro, prop adaptor etc.

I hope it will fly well with a 10 cell Nimh pack. With 2 packs up front I can just replug and fly again.

See ya-Scott
Old Sep 13, 2005, 06:23 AM
New York, NY
Joined Oct 2000
444 Posts
Scott, Bill,
Clamshell does look simple...as opposed to building out a box for the firewall mount. I'm converted! My granddaughter found the MEC Tootsie Pops on my work bench...the ants didn't stand a chance!
Alan
Old Sep 13, 2005, 07:56 AM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
The 144" Telemaster has been test flown and will be at the NEAT Fair. There are two beta kits almost ready to assemble. The back order list is growing fast. Get in touch with Aerocraft or Hobby Lobby for more information.
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old Sep 13, 2005, 08:14 AM
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Sep 2003
1,134 Posts
Here's a link to the motor mount you were asking about.

http://www.espritmodel.com/

Check under accessories/motor mounts

John
jonnyjetprop is offline Find More Posts by jonnyjetprop
Old Sep 13, 2005, 11:07 AM
Tom Para
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Joined May 2003
1,199 Posts
I just converted my 25 year old Sr Telemaster to electric last month. For many years it had a Super Tigre .61 in it. The fuselage had been recovered and degreased with K2r spot remover 3 times.

This past August it got a new set of coveralls. Transparent blue Monocote on the wings and yellow on the fuselage. Its new power plant is an AXI 4120-18 running off a 6s2p Thunderpower battery. It draws about 850 watts of power and flys great. The motor mount is a home made copy of the Espirit mount.

Back in the 80's it carried about 5 lbs of video equipment and assorted transmitters, including a crossband voice repeater on Ham Radio. Its new duty is to carry Perry Trooper up 700' for the ride of his life.

Blue Skys
Bud
Tom in Cincy is offline Find More Posts by Tom in Cincy
Last edited by Tom in Cincy; Sep 13, 2005 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added pics
Old Sep 13, 2005, 07:10 PM
Hey Now
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
2,655 Posts
Great Skydive plane

Thanks for posting your power plant for your Skydive E-Telemaster. Can you please provide details on your release mechanism for the skydiver. I'll have to write Skydive on mine also. I was thinking of putting a "FOR HIRE" sticker on mine. Something like Will drop sailplanes, parachuters or aero for a quarter.
I would have been able to test fly mine tomarrow however, I ended up losing the little set screw for the MEC pinion gear. It popped off my allen driver onto the floor. I've not been able to find it yet.

Thanks everyone for the input. It looks like quite a few Telemasters are getting converted to electric.

Here's a pic of my jumper. It used to be sold by Hobby Lobby.

Scott
Last edited by speleopower; Sep 13, 2005 at 10:31 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 06:54 AM
New York, NY
Joined Oct 2000
444 Posts
Scott,
The following methods of retrieving lost small parts have never failed me:
1. On hands and knees sweep floor with flashlight held at angle almost parallel with floor.
2. Sweep floor with magnet.
3. Sweep floor THOROUGHLY with broom...collect all sweepings in a dust pan, empty dust pan onto sheet of white paper (or newspaper) and search the mess with sharp eye and finger tip. Not elegant but very effective!
I guarantee the result.
Alan
Old Sep 16, 2005, 06:58 AM
New York, NY
Joined Oct 2000
444 Posts
Tom,
What prop are you using and what capacity Thunderpower pack? The thought of a model surviving 25 years of flying boggles my mind. 25 flights would be a record for me :-). Pretty Telemaster. Any idea of what the all up weight is?
Alan
Old Sep 16, 2005, 04:44 PM
Hollister, CA
Joined Dec 2004
154 Posts
Hi all,

I'm in the process of building an electric senior telemaster myself. I put a Hacker B5011s with 6.7:1 gear in it. Probably more than this thing will need, but I salvaged it from my last crash......

Here's a pic

rudynix is offline Find More Posts by rudynix
Last edited by rudynix; Sep 20, 2005 at 10:09 AM. Reason: replaced the link to image
Old Sep 16, 2005, 07:55 PM
Hey Now
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
2,655 Posts
Hi rudynix-Thanks for chiming in with your build. Please post some details and pictures about your build.

See ya-Scott
p.s. I have crawled around the floor with a flashlight and magnet but have been unsuccessful locating the little setscrew.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 05:04 PM
Hey Now
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
2,655 Posts
Hopefully I'll fly tomarrow

I think I have my Telemaster ready to fly tomarrow.
I decieded to use my back up E3D powerplant which is a MEC Monster Box, Mega 22/20/2, Hacker Master-O 40amp ESCr, UBEC, 15x10 APC-E prop and a 10cell 2600mah NiMh battery. I will need 2 10cell battery packs to properly balance the airplane. I'll just switch and the plug and fly again.

The watt meter showed what I already knew. The system is making around 420-440 watts of power at around 40 amps at full throttle. If this is not enough then I'll break up a couple 10 cell packs and change them into 16cell packs.

In the photos the access hatch is off.

See ya-Scott