HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2002, 11:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
foam vs balsa construction...

I know this has been talked about before, and all have their own opinions on what is best... but....

Which is lighter? I can make some light foam stuff, but that requires glassing for strength... where with wood I can just use normal shrink covering...

Foam makes for easier rebuilds after crashes (usually).. but can a good strong airframe of balsa save that much weight over foam?

I ask because I am working on putting a plane I built into a CAD program, and in messing with it, I just started wondering about wood vs foam (i used foam originally)..

Paul
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2002, 11:12 PM
It's just PLANE silly!
Ontario
Joined Jan 2002
915 Posts
I like both. I like foam wings cuz its fast, and I don't like building wings. I like balsa fuselage cuz I can make it look any way I like without a lot of cutting, sanding etc. and balsa fuses are already hollow for batteries, servo's etc.

I pesonally prefer to repair a balsa airplane.

Eric
balsaman is offline Find More Posts by balsaman
Old May 07, 2002, 06:35 AM
Haslemere, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2001
91 Posts
Re: foam vs balsa construction...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Arbo
[B]I know this has been talked about before, and all have their own opinions on what is best... but....

Which is lighter? I can make some light foam stuff, but that requires glassing for strength... where with wood I can just use normal shrink covering...

Arbo

Whenever I think about using foam for a wing I remind myself that a proper wood structure is mostly trapped air and go and lie done until the urge goes away.
Seriously - if you can't build a wooden wing for less wright than a foam one of equivalent strength, size, and section there is something wrong with the design and/or the building technique.

All the best

Mike
Mike Rolls is offline Find More Posts by Mike Rolls
Old May 08, 2002, 09:53 AM
Baton Rouge, LA
Joined Jun 2001
107 Posts
I agree with Mike. I used to hate foam. If the urge to build foam hit me, I would do it and then I would remember why I hate foam. However, I bought some foam cutting equiptment recently and it isn't so bad. I can whip up a plane with much less design and building time. I think that it is easier to repair foam, based on lots of repairing experience with both I still use both materials, but a good balsa structure is much lighter thatn foam.
aft_cg is offline Find More Posts by aft_cg