HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2005, 06:29 PM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,515 Posts
New Product
Supermarine Sparrow II for Free Flight

A 36" ws Supermarine Sparrow II for Free Flight designed for GWS IPS power has been added to our workshop and is now available for ordering.

www.aerodromerc.com
Bengtson is offline Find More Posts by Bengtson
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2005, 09:20 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
Does anyone have information on colour schemes for this aircraft other than the Blue/Silver that's typically seen?

Kurt,

Is the green/red one on your site a scale colour scheme?
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
Old Sep 01, 2005, 10:12 PM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,515 Posts
Ian,
I have a book on the Supermarine company with the Sparrows and three views. No mention was made of the colors used so I just picked what looked good to me. The number 7 is scale and was black.

K
Bengtson is offline Find More Posts by Bengtson
Last edited by Bengtson; Dec 22, 2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2005, 12:48 AM
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
Well, here we go again

My Sparrow kit arrived a couple of days ago and like the rest of the AerodromRC line its a beauty. Well packed, nice full set of CAD drawings, a complete set of lazer cut parts and enough foam chord to make the wheels.

I must say that I feel a bit of pride in being the first to build Kurt's first free flight model - I just hope that it's the first of many.

The proportions for this plane are perfect for free flight so I don't anticipate any problems.

Kurt designed it for the GWS IPS motor and gears which I will install, but my plan is to have this model ready to fly in the SAM champs in Las Vegas this October, so for that it will have to fly with an IC engine; probably a diesel.

Anyway, here's what you get in the kit and here is a photo of the two fuselage sides built up and also the rudder...
Old Sep 09, 2005, 05:49 AM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,390 Posts
I've just had a look in my January 1953 Aeromodeller which had the Sparrow in the "Aircraft Described" series. It originally appeared as the Mk 1, a biplane for the 1924 Air Ministry competition at Lympne, where it threw a con-rod. In 1926 it was entered in the Daily mail competition, also at Lympne, as the Mk II although it was now a research aircraft. It was rebuilt as a parasol monoplane (wings and tail remained the same) and used to make full size comparitive tests on wing sections. The registration G-EBJP was applied to both Mks. The Mks I & II both had dark blue fuselages and struts with aluminium doped wings and tail ssurfaces. Cowlings were aluminium and Mk I had longerons picked out in aluminium dope. Competition numbers (Mk I, 9 and Mk II, 7) in black under both wing tips with top of figure at L.E. and in black on white panel on fuselage sides.

Hope this helps,
Neville
Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Sep 09, 2005, 08:45 AM
south shields. England
Joined May 2004
962 Posts
Gentlemen: There is a scale drawing and colour info of the original Aeromodeller "Aircraft described" series available fron "Nexus online" in Uk.

I placed second in "Open rubber scale" at the UK indoor scale nats held at Derby in around 1980 with a 19" span 15 gram version!

A bit of wing tip washout works wonders with this subject; Sort of dihedral effect without the disfiguring appearance!!

Good luck --- it looks a terrific kit.

Peter
peter frostick is offline Find More Posts by peter frostick
Old Sep 09, 2005, 12:32 PM
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
Thanks guys!

I was coming to the conclusion before, that I would be doing the blue/silver.

Getting that little bit of history on it makes it all the more interesting.

Peter, did you draw up your own plans for the Nats model?
Old Sep 09, 2005, 12:48 PM
south shields. England
Joined May 2004
962 Posts
Ian
I had the original Aeromodeller drawings scaled up in the office printshop (the only way in those far off times!); and one of the advantages of running the modelmaking section in a large architectural practise! Structure was scale, but ribs were sliced indoor fashion and assembled over a concealed vertical spar. This was a really lightly built model and ended its days in a very high tree at an Old Warden airfield "scale day" when I was foolhardy enough to fly it in a period of flat calm --- it picked up a giant thermal immediately after launch, and the rest is history!!!

Cheers

Peter
Old Sep 13, 2005, 11:24 PM
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
Next I have to do a bit of wire bending for the undercarraige and the wing supports. So far everything has been going quite well.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 03:01 PM
south shields. England
Joined May 2004
962 Posts
All Sparrow builders!
You can choose almost any wing section you fancy without losing scale authenticity, as the original aircraft was tested with everything from semi-symetrical to reflex, and undercambered. The classic "Clark Y" worked well with mine however! so if it aint broke etc.--------------
Funny how you can remember things from 25 years ago if you really like an aircraft, but can totally forget the unloved "Lemons"!!

Peter

PS I'll try and dig out a model photo from my dusty attic to post
Last edited by peter frostick; Sep 14, 2005 at 03:07 PM. Reason: not enough T's in attic!!!!!!!!!!1
Old Sep 14, 2005, 05:01 PM
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
Peter,

While your dusting the cobwebs away in your memory, can you remember how much dihedral you had in yours?
Old Sep 14, 2005, 08:55 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,467 Posts
None on the real one-----that's what held me back years ago building one.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:26 PM
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
Here's the tail in what will be the DT position...