Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by genovia, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 03, 2003, 06:37 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by k2rick
Great thread. One thing I noticed is that nobody ever says that it was their fault, its always "my plane took a hit"

Then you can't read.

I suggest you go through the thread again. I saw "I turned right, instead of left", I saw "I flew too long and ran out of power", I saw "turned into the wind and flipped over, I saw "I stepped on it", I saw "I drove over it", I saw "wing was warped", I saw "mid-air", I saw "flying inverted at the end of the run", And I saw "interference" ONLY ONCE.

Pretty much throws your comment right out the door.

Just goes to show how some people have a preconceived notion even before they start to read things.

Ken
Ken Lapointe is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2003, 06:41 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hopsterguy
Hey Ken... I think I recognize that grass as Tuckahoo turf, no?
Yep it is, meanest grass this side of Kentucky. It leaps up and grabs planes and then tears them apart. It looks nice untill you get just a bit too close.

We have to feed it a plane a week , or it gets mighty hungry and wants even more on the weekends.

Ken
Ken Lapointe is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Jan 03, 2003, 10:34 AM
Westerly, RI, USA
Joined Oct 2002
1,482 Posts
Quote:
We have to feed it a plane a week , or it gets mighty hungry and wants even more on the weekends.
Must not anger the grass gods.
hopsterguy is offline Find More Posts by hopsterguy
Old Jan 03, 2003, 04:28 PM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
Tony,
I have to respectfully disagree with your analysis of liteply.

Running 1/16th vertically between 2 sheets of 1/32nd running horizontally makes the total significantly stronger than any of the components individually. You just can not make that comparison.

In architectural engineering, building a beam with a vertical component between two horizontals increases the beam's load carrying capacity by significant factors.

Not trying to sell anyone on liteply as a building medium, but had to point out the flaw in your argument.
Dennis-
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old Jan 03, 2003, 05:24 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
I hadn't considered it from that angle - of course you are right.

My main beef about it is the way 'our' liteply delaminates under mild stress causing total breakdown of components where it isn't used correctly.

Specifically, Flair had a model called the Volture which had a box liteply fuz. with holes in to lighten it behind the wing. Unfortunately it also had keying slots for formers down the same area. I built one, and so did various others after seeing mine fly. If the landing was anything other than extremely gentle, some part of the fuz from the wing t/e rearwards would break at one of the stress points 'built-in'. I damaged mine a number of times then binned it and built another from balsa covered stringer construction and a 1/32 ply doubler from nose to just rearwards of the wing t/e with no further damage despite some much heavier landings.

I still use liteply but usually as a stiffener to balsa for such as formers and bulkheads. It's also very good in boats but needs careful sealing as it's got poor water resistant properties.

I like the stuff in places where it's needed to be stiff but not take much load, and in area at least, I use more of it than any other material.

Hope I didn't mislead anyone.

Tony

edit: the original fus was glassed over and flew successfully but was too heavy which resulted in the decision to replace with the one described.
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Last edited by tonyo; Jan 03, 2003 at 05:32 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2003, 06:29 AM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
Quote:
had a box liteply fuz. with holes in to lighten it behind the wing. Unfortunately it also had keying slots for formers down the same area.
Tony,
I'd bet a laminated beam with lightening holes and slots cut into it's edges wouldn't carry much weight either.
Dennis-
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old Mar 04, 2003, 05:54 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Anymore crashes?
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
Old Mar 04, 2003, 06:20 PM
Arp
On ground
Joined Feb 2003
615 Posts
Quote:
Anymore crashes?
Nope. Haven't crashed badly for a full year. Only minor encounters with known standing objects (trees). However, my last "real" crash was quite distressing. I allowed a breeze to carry my plane off above a lake... into which it finally disappeared. The one before that... flew through a fence.
Arp is offline Find More Posts by Arp
Last edited by Arp; Mar 04, 2003 at 06:24 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2003, 07:02 PM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,187 Posts
Funny you should ask.. today I was flying at luntime with a friend from work. We were both flying out projetis and we had a spectacular midair crash! We were both cruising at just above treetop level and hit straight on! Combined speed at least 80mph! impact on both planes was within the inner qurter of the wing where it is nice and thick and both planes were cut in two! Made an increadible "WHUMP" sound! All I could do is laugh!

One is probably fixable. The break was nice and clean. The other one has a lot of crumpling of the foam.. the jury is still out on that one...

definately the most memorable crash I have had in a while!
downeym is online now Find More Posts by downeym
Old Mar 04, 2003, 07:12 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
There's always more crashes!

My sport Quickie-500 had the same wing area as a Slowstick, and at 3-1/2 lbs had good vertical performance.

After doing snap rolls over a frozen lake right down on the deck, I did one from inverted. The semisymmetrical wing stalls much quicker inverted, however. I snapped for the same time interval as upright, which was good for an extra half roll. At this unexpected outcome, I performed my built-in "failsafe" maneuver when flying inverted: I pushed full down.

I was far enough away that the sound of the engine persisted a second after the splinters flew. Anyone who's experienced this has probably felt that same brief feeling of "maybe it's not too bad..."

This is the result of straight into ice. I trashed the plane, as the fuse was cracked and split all the way back, but almost everything else survived to fly again.

Engine: only a broken throttle horn. Saved by a sacrificial spinner.

Tank: split on the seam. Trashed.

Battery: sheared connector.

Rx: chipped corner of cover, antenna didn't look good so I replaced it.

Throttle & elevator servos: trashed geartrains, repaired.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Mar 04, 2003, 07:15 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
AAAAouchhhh!!
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
Old Mar 04, 2003, 07:56 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Hey, at least she went out flying. Flew many hundreds of flights over 4 years. Even carried a camera once.

Ya either rebuild em or toss em, but whatever, ya still go fly again.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Mar 04, 2003, 08:04 PM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,187 Posts
Its amazing what an hour and some epoxy can do.

One is ready to fly and the other is drying! I need to make new vertical stabs for it, but structurally they are both fine!

ya gotta love foam!
Old Mar 04, 2003, 08:22 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Oct 2002
1,022 Posts
I have lost track of how many times I crashed my Projeti. It's getting heavy with all of the epoxy! With the Mega 16/15/3 it still screams though.
Blackbird is offline Find More Posts by Blackbird
Old Mar 04, 2003, 08:28 PM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,187 Posts
just out of curiosity, have you clocked your brushless projeti? We timed my stock projeti at 55mph in level flight... I was just wondering how much faster it can be pushed...