Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by genovia, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 06, 2002, 10:31 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
here's a testimony for the hots... I loved that airplane sooooo much (it had over 300 flights on it from the previous owner and 150 from me) that the very same week I totalled it, I went out and paid $150 (cdn) for the last remaining local discontinued kit. Also, when I bought the switchback I was hoping performance would be like a mini-super hots... it is! So there you go... two product plugs in one! lol I love these planes
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2002, 11:09 AM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
I can understand your wanting a second one. It's kind of like losing a close friend when you stuff one that flys real well.
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old May 06, 2002, 11:18 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
ok genovia... to make you feel not so bad. At least you crashed it while flying.

Years ago when I was into competition aerobatics, I flew a Carl Goldberg Extra 300 with an OS 1.20 slimer 4 stroke on the nose. I had won a few things with it and was really really comfortable with how she flew. On the way up to another competition (locally, I might add) the crash happened. We had weighted down the wing in the pickup bed, but surely a 9 lb fuselage won't need weight, right? It'll never move! Sure enough, it flew out doing only about 35 mph. It wasn't hurt bad, but bad enough not to fly for a while... cracks here and there, including stab a fin which got it worst of all. Broken prop, broken custom fiberglass cowling. In retrospect, it was a good lesson, just like all crashes... but man did I feel stupid
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old May 06, 2002, 11:41 AM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
I actually feel good now. I'm in the first phase of CPR my Cub to life. All the cover is off. Finally made a battery hatch. Dang!!!problem that I have is, How in the world should I cover the tail, with it glued to the airplane.... Okay, I did it before, I think, I can do it again.....
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
Old May 06, 2002, 02:22 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Hey guys,

What's the best technique in cover a plane with a tail glued in place?

genovia
Old May 06, 2002, 03:14 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,302 Posts
Do the corners with a narrow strip first, then cover the entire surface. Either that, or paint the corners first the same color as the covering.
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old May 06, 2002, 06:56 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Mar 2002
258 Posts
From the looks of it, I think it's fixable....always better to try. Besides. it's a whole lot easier on the wallet.
As for repairs, i would not remove the firewall completely. I would take a small router bit or side cutting bit on a dremel tool and carefully remove the bass wood engine mounts. Cut and slide new ones in the wholes and slap some epoxy on.
Piper is offline Find More Posts by Piper
Old May 06, 2002, 08:18 PM
Wpg, Mb, Great White North
Joined Jan 2002
17 Posts
My friends custom Delta wing. .32 heli engine... wide open... straight down...

All he said was: did you see that? 8-)
2wise4gas is offline Find More Posts by 2wise4gas
Old May 06, 2002, 08:28 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Quote:
i would not remove the firewall completely
I already did hehehehe. Man, now you tell me. Piper can I get the firewall measurements from you, if it possible? the hole and all.

Thanks, Man.
Old May 06, 2002, 09:39 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Mar 2002
258 Posts
Sure. Give me a day or so.
Piper is offline Find More Posts by Piper
Old May 06, 2002, 09:51 PM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Do the corners with a narrow strip first
Yes, for covering attached surfaces, like Pierre said, use a narrow strip then cover the rest of the surface.
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old May 06, 2002, 10:22 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Thanks for the strip picture. Well, guys. I got all of the old covering off the Cub. Now it's time to glue the broken parts.

I got the wings glued last night, woke up 4:30am and covered the damaged wings. WOW!! I think, I will hit the field this weekend. I sound like an addict. I think I am turning into one.

I don't care, I love this hobby.
Old May 06, 2002, 10:47 PM
Houston,TX
Joined Mar 2000
1,217 Posts
I doubt that I win any awards, but here is my "best" day
Mid-aired the LT-25 with a gas plane. Took off the motor and gear, and creased one wing spar. Then bungee launched the picojet combat, I think one servo was stripped before launch, it rolled right into the ground after coming off the ramp. The bungee then smacked it along the ground into many pieces.

Both have since been repaired and flown again.
ScottS is offline Find More Posts by ScottS
Old May 07, 2002, 05:29 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Rebuild

Rebuild that thing!

Before I did almost anything toward building the kit, I put the parts through my scanner. I also have many digital pics of the Cub in various stages of rebuilding.

I made the body about 1/2" longer, and added balsa to the sides of the fuse where you hold the plane to hand launch. I always worried that I would break something just holding it.

If you have a dremel tool, the plywood will be easy to rebuild.

Clear off a spot and get going,

Rogerdoger
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
Old May 07, 2002, 05:55 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Parts is parts

You might be able to use this pic to print and then scale a new part.

Rogerdoger
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger