SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 28, 2005, 06:00 PM
Monmouth UK
Joined Oct 2004
1,043 Posts
Bind bind bind

Just completed building my 1st TRex XL CDE. I have not installed the radio and electrics yet as I have to purchase a transmitter. I followed the instruction as closely as I could measuring linkage pods accurately and using threadlock instead of the R48 supplied, however, I'm finding things are binding everywhere.

1. Linkage ball and ball links are tight in most places (I've ensure that 'A' faces outside of the balls). I understand that there is certain amount of work that the modeller has to do, and I've not tried freeing them up yet (due to the lack of experience). I would like to install the radio gear before trying to free them up.

2. Elevator arm - even though there is a bearing, it seems tight to me. Not sure what I can do to free it up here as there are no washers.

3. T type control lever (for remaining 2 CCPM control). Both tight again. The bearing is sandwiched between 2 washers here. Loosening up the collar screw helps, but I'm sure if this is the right thing to do.

4. Tail rotor control arm - boy, I find it hard moving this with my fingers, the servo would probably burn out after 1 flight as it is. I have not tried freeing up the ball links here yet, but I suspect the linkage bearing in the control arm itself is tight.

5. (off topic) the 2 main rotor blade holders seems to have vastly different pitch angles at the extrems. I tested this by pushing the swash plate up to the top and down to the bottom of the mast (keeping it parallel) at both extremes. There seems to be plenty of negative pitch in both but in one holder there is much more positive pitch then the other.

Any help and advice is apprieciate as this is my first build.

Cheers.
hb888 is offline Find More Posts by hb888
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2005, 07:12 PM
Joined Mar 2005
218 Posts
id double check the ballinks. They should have a pleasant "snap" when they go on. Doesnt mean they have to face outside the balls. I remember the instructions saying that the A on both ends of the link has to face up in same side?? for the tail rotor, try shifting the whole blade arm to the tip of the tail rotor shaft, this should have with the movement more
Project is offline Find More Posts by Project
Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:55 PM
Joined Jul 2005
28 Posts
Get a ball link reamer. I don't know what to tell you about the "T" arms mine were nice and loose with the washer installed on both sides of the bearings. My tail rotor slider arm was kind of tight I put triflow on the bearings a couple of times and it loosened it up a lot.
kileak is offline Find More Posts by kileak
Old Aug 28, 2005, 11:31 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined May 2004
728 Posts
Hi there, I ran into some problems you did during assembly too.

Ball links - I find the ball links perfect on the XL, it should loosen up some after a bunch of flights. Squeezing the ball links with a long nose plier while it is mounted on the ball frees it up some, just don't get too carried away.

Elevator arm - If there is friction between the assembly, shave a little amount of plastic on the inside of the 'A' arms using a blade knife to create enough clearance at the hinge, also, overtightening the screws that fix the arms to the frame will make it bind, back it off a little to remove binding.

T-type control lever - Same goes for this part, just back it off a smidge till it drops on it's own weight.

Tail rotor control arm - Don't overtighten the screws holding the ball links and lever.
GoRgOyL is offline Find More Posts by GoRgOyL
Old Aug 28, 2005, 11:40 PM
kids ate my heli budget
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2005
1,782 Posts
I bought a JR 4.75mm ball link reamer. Probably the best twenty bucks I ever spent.
jameotron is offline Find More Posts by jameotron
Old Aug 29, 2005, 04:29 AM
Monmouth UK
Joined Oct 2004
1,043 Posts
I'm convinced that it is to do with bearings now. I've back the screw on the CCPM T control levers all the way out and it still hangs horizontally on the screw.

I've drip a couple of drops of silicon lubricate I'd used on the o-rings on the rotor head into the bearing and it is just the same (hangs in mid air).

Any ideas what I can try next. Don't really fancy dripping WD40 into the bearing just yet as I understand this can attract grit and rust into the bearing.

What about just some machine oil?

I think same issue exists with tail rotor control lever.
hb888 is offline Find More Posts by hb888
Old Aug 29, 2005, 07:40 AM
Fly Lite Fly Right
Joined Aug 2004
1,150 Posts
I bought a Trex XL a few months ago and have not flown it yet .
Just as you have found I found everything binding and stiff .
nothing centers because of that . It seems that all of the blades
that came with the kit are so badly out of balance that they are
unusable .Also the plastic head seems to have an offcentered problem
right from the factory / mould .
I am flying two Blade CP's , a Shogun, and a JR VoyagerE and am having
no problem with any of them .
I have seen the CCPM version / upgrade
and it looks to be the way to go if you don't want to shell out the money for
a Carbon frame . The suggestion / advice above about the
JR 4.75mm ball link reamer is the first time I have heard this
suggestion but I think I will order one .
Happymcc is offline Find More Posts by Happymcc