HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2002, 06:41 PM
Http://www.aerc.biz
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
Flying Styro F-16 Building Thread

OK I have started building a Flying Styro F-16 that I picked up off e-bay for next to nothing - I am planning on over-sizing it with a mini-fan 480! So let's get started!
drbird is offline Find More Posts by drbird
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2002, 06:42 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
Basic Dimensions

Ok now for the basic dimensions of the FS F-16:

Flying Styro Site For Full Dimensions

The kit is orginally designed to be a free-flight pusher prop kit but with very simple modifications you can make one mean RC EDF!
Old May 05, 2002, 06:43 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
Ok the first thing I had to do was remove some foam from inside the ducting in order to fit the Wemotec Mini-Fan 480 in. I then Measured out where to place the fan unit and then cut away small portions so that the mounting would be flush. Remember that when mounting to foam you are going to need any strength you can get to secure the fan uit down. By mounting the fan unit below the surface and mounting it flush you not only get a smooth finish but you also get added strength.
Old May 05, 2002, 06:47 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
While the foam glue for the fan unit dried I decided to go ahead and mount the front section of the "scoop" for the ducting. It comes from the manufacturer in two pieces that are then glue together and then glude to the lower fuesalage half.
Old May 05, 2002, 06:47 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
Here is a better view from the front:
Old May 05, 2002, 06:50 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
You may notice a white paper in the picture. This is provided by the manufacturer and is used to make a very smooth surface for the ducting.
Old May 05, 2002, 06:50 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
While waiting for the ducting to dry I decided to go ahead with one of the tail sections - this step can really be done at any time - if you are new to building I would wait until later just to ensure you don't bang it around or knock it off!
Old May 05, 2002, 06:53 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
Becasue I have the F-16 overpowered with the Mini-Fan I have decided to try and add very lightweight landing gear. The kit actually comes with plastic semi-scale struts that I will try to use. My guess is that they will probably not make it past the maiden flight but you never know until you try!
Old May 05, 2002, 06:54 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
Hear is what I am thinking for the main strut:

Dave Brown Lite Wheels 1 3/4"
Old May 05, 2002, 06:55 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
And for the front:

Dubro 1" Mini Lite Wheels
Old May 05, 2002, 06:56 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
Ok I started working up an EDF project worksheet for it. The numbers in zero are ones I have not entered yet. All else is correct, but I am having trouble with the battery data. I plan on using an 8 cell Sanyo 1300SCR battery pack. This seems to be very heavy!! Any suggestions as to what battery pack to use?
Old May 05, 2002, 06:57 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
Ok I decided to alow the glue 24hrs to set just to make sure everything was held in place - today I went ahead and added micro-fill to fill the gaps beneath the fan unit and where front ducting met up with the lower fuesalge halve. I will now let that set for a while and then sand it down with very fine sand paper. The micro fill will also help when it comes to thrust - the inlet is now smooth so the air coming in will be alot less turbulent!
Old May 05, 2002, 07:00 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
Here is another pic of the scoop:
Old May 05, 2002, 07:01 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
Ok Today is the big day in which I will finally put the two fuselage halves together - I am going to use epoxy for this - I try and stay away from epoxy generally when working with foam because it adds weight but with the mini fan I think I will be ok!
Old May 05, 2002, 07:03 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
Here is a pic to get a better idea of whats going on: