HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:12 PM
Boston, MA
Joined Aug 2004
103 Posts
Freebird - I'd forgotten about the mistake in CG. It balanced beautifully at 98mm with no added weight but certainly not at 75mm. I couldn't bear to add the weight so I cut an opening in the firewall and the motor mount allowing the battery to slide up into the cowl, close to the motor. However, it was pretty difficult to remove the battery if secured by the velcro strip method I favor. So I glued a plywood stick to the battery and used the velcro on that. Balances well, battery placement/removal is easy and it seems secure. I just hope I haven't weakened things significantly.

Unfortunately, its raining and windy for the next few days, courtesy of the remains of hurricane Wilma. Due to various job-related issues, I probably won't get a chance to maiden until Thursday of next week!

DP
dpaul is offline Find More Posts by dpaul
Last edited by dpaul; Oct 25, 2005 at 04:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2005, 02:19 AM
Bradbury, Australia
Joined Mar 2002
159 Posts
Hey DP,must be driving you crazy waiting for maiden.Your gonna love it,the Spitfire looks truly magnificent in the air.
Great idea about extending battery position.I was considering drilling some holes in that area for better air cooling flow, but now ill do same as hoping to go Lipos in near future.It will be good for airflow directly over battery and BEC too,excellent.

Have to repair cowl on my Spit,im sure it will benefit from the small nose weight gain.Seems a tad tailheavy at moment.
I find it hard to determine correct CG while balancing plane inverted,right side up is near impossible.
freebird is offline Find More Posts by freebird
Old Nov 03, 2005, 11:19 AM
Boston, MA
Joined Aug 2004
103 Posts
Hi Freebird;

I finally got a chance to maiden the Spit. I found it quite easy to launch underhanded; I had seen a video on www.e-flightline.com of the Sureflight warbirds being launched this way. This method was probably made a lot easier by the fact that my motor/battery combination and fairly light AUW result in more than 1:1 thrust/weight. I had virtually unlimited vertical; not very scale!

The plane is a very stable flyer and does indeed look awesome in the air! With the CG at 75mm, it seems slightly nose heavy to me i.e. pulls up at the end of dive without control input and drops the nose with power off a little. But not too much. It is very windy here but I just had to put the plane in the air. I was glad I did because it is not much affected by the wind, at least compared to the park fliers I'm used to (GWS Corsair and TM400, Alfa and Kamdax MiG-15, Stevens CAP232). This is the biggest and heaviest plane I've flown so it may simply be a function of weight.

Also I was pleasantly surprized to find that the power-off glide was not TOO shallow. Recently I've been flying an Alfa MiG-15 which just doesn't ever seem to want to come down. So my short bumpy grass field had plenty of room, even without deploying the spoilerons.

Unfortunately, I wound up dorking it. It was way downwind and seemed to lose power so I tried to get it back but just couldn't make it. So my landing was very far way and not well controlled. Landed on the nose, broke the prop, the firewall and of course, that beautiful cowl (ouch!). But it shouldn't be too hard to fix. Turned out I fried the ESC. Luckily, I had the ParkBec still supplying current to the receiver/servos or I'd have completely lost control. I had a total of only about 6 minutes in the air so I didn't get a chance to do much more than trim it out. Lots of truly GIANT loops tho!

We'll go out again on Saturday, weather permitting, and get to know the Spit a little better.

DP
Old Nov 03, 2005, 12:02 PM
Warbird crazy!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Sep 2004
3,767 Posts
This looks real nice. I was pricing the Ripmax and it was around $180.00 to get one to CA with the exchange and all, which was over my head. I will have to check this one a bit more.

Do you think this can be fit with retracts like I have seen on the Ripmax?

John and Christo
new2rc is offline Find More Posts by new2rc
Old Nov 03, 2005, 12:19 PM
Warbird crazy!
Joined Sep 2004
3,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drksyd
Congrats on the successful maiden. I think I may have to bid on it again but from the vendor in Hong Kong instead of the US.
Hi drksyd

You said there is a US vendor, and you bid on one in Calif. I could not find it on the link given on this thread. Do you still have info on that vendor by chance? This shipping at 40+ puts it almost at the Ripmax price . Thanks!

John and Christo
Old Nov 03, 2005, 01:27 PM
Boston, MA
Joined Aug 2004
103 Posts
John and Christo;

The company is Grandhobby (http://store.grandhobby.com/) but the prices are better via Grandhobby's Ebay store (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Radio-Remote...QQcmdZViewItem)

DP
Old Nov 03, 2005, 01:55 PM
Warbird crazy!
Joined Sep 2004
3,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul
John and Christo;
The company is Grandhobby (http://store.grandhobby.com/) but the prices are better via Grandhobby's Ebay store (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Radio-Remote...QQcmdZViewItem)
DP
Thanks DP

I will check it out.

John and Christo
Old Nov 03, 2005, 05:01 PM
Warbird crazy!
Joined Sep 2004
3,767 Posts
I just checked it out and $129 kit cost. Waiting on a reply to see how much to ship. They are in Calif. LA area so hope not too much to just go to SF Bay Area .

Hi freebird

I was wondering what your final prop was with the 8 cell 2200? Trying to compare power and perf. with what will be (if I get this plane ie) an Endo. Looks like you have lots of room current wise with the Axi. Also, did you ever fly it with the 8 cell 3300 pack and the 10 X 6?
Just curious how it did at 3 lbs. Thanks!

John and Christo
Old Nov 03, 2005, 10:13 PM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,889 Posts
If you want a kit I can get one for you, probably around $110 to you. I contacted the guys in CA and they wouldn't ship one kit to me but would ship at least 5. I'm taking orders locally to get the 5 and can send one to you if you want. Even though it'll go from CA to HI and back to CA you'll still get it cheaper. How's that?
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd
Old Nov 03, 2005, 11:10 PM
Warbird crazy!
Joined Sep 2004
3,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drksyd
If you want a kit I can get one for you, probably around $110 to you. I contacted the guys in CA and they wouldn't ship one kit to me but would ship at least 5. I'm taking orders locally to get the 5 and can send one to you if you want. Even though it'll go from CA to HI and back to CA you'll still get it cheaper. How's that?
Interesting idea drksyd

Sent you a PM.

John and Christo
Old Nov 04, 2005, 07:06 AM
Bradbury, Australia
Joined Mar 2002
159 Posts
DP..sorry to hear things happened that way with first flight.
Youll be right for next time im sure.
Thats a great handlaunch technique you found there,does that mean no finger holes to be made.Also what cooling holes or vents did you apply to your Spitfire.

John and Christo..Ive made a mistake with the prop size in my specs,should have been 10x8. Its a Graupner Cam slim prop.I did get one flight in with the 8 cell 3700mah pack last week,flies fine and handlaunches easily.I reckon its overpowered even with my moderate setup.

Ive found a great pilot for our Spitfires,Parkzone sell a painted plastic-rubbery
pilot.Hes just about scale size too.

Parkzone..PKZ1503..Plastic pilot;P-51D.
Old Nov 04, 2005, 01:36 PM
Boston, MA
Joined Aug 2004
103 Posts
Hi Freebird - Yes, no holes are necessary! It works very well, although I did accidently knock the battery hatch cover off on launch more than once. Another magnet should do the trick.

For the re-maiden, I've made a small hole in the cowl (3/4" x 3/4") just under the spinner and a corresponding hole center-bottom about 1 1/2" aft of the wing mounting bolt. Probably will need bigger holes. Cooling is necessary, not for the motor, which barely got above ambient but for the ESC and batteries. The Apache 30M-18 is a great motor and inexpensive relative to the comparable AXI, which would be the 2814/12. WOT is about 310 watts and as I mentioned, that is unlimited vertical with a 10x5 APC-E prop. I'd guestimate top speed level flight to be about 50 mph. Should pick up some speed with a 9x6.

I've replaced the CC-25 ESC which was pushed to (beyond, I guess) the limit by 26A at WOT with a Balsa Products BP-40A cheapo clone 40amp ESC. I'm afraid my 4s PQ-2200N packs are on their way out because they are not holding voltage under load very well anymore. Won't even deliver 26A until they get good and warmed up (read: hot). Probably don't have more than 20 flights on each pack, although they were all pretty much full throttle (300-330 watts) in a Kamdax MiG. They were an expensive 'bargain'. I'll just abuse them until die completely, I guess. Then I'll have to think about whether to replace them with 3s packs (say 2 x 2100mah packs in parallel) that might be more useful in my other planes and re-proping to get the input power back up. Two TP2100 Prolites would be about $150 and only weigh about 60gm more than the 4s 2200. AUW doesn't seem to be much of a problem with this craft!

I've patched her up pretty well, even glass/epoxied, sanded and primered the cowl. Unfortunately, I just noticed that the motor shaft is bent a little. Only a $4.00 part but that means no flying the Spit this weekend. Argghh!

By the way, are you using the stock linkages? I've found the elevator and rudder linkages in particular to be very stiff and could not eliminate some servo buzzing at the extremes when set up to get the recommended throws.

DP

PS Did your cowl come with the camo paint or did you add that (mine was gray)? Looks nice!
Last edited by dpaul; Nov 04, 2005 at 01:57 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2005, 02:27 PM
Warbird crazy!
Joined Sep 2004
3,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird
DP..sorry to hear things happened that way with first flight.
Youll be right for next time im sure.
Thats a great handlaunch technique you found there,does that mean no finger holes to be made.Also what cooling holes or vents did you apply to your Spitfire.
John and Christo..Ive made a mistake with the prop size in my specs,should have been 10x8. Its a Graupner Cam slim prop.I did get one flight in with the 8 cell 3700mah pack last week,flies fine and handlaunches easily.I reckon its overpowered even with my moderate setup.
Ive found a great pilot for our Spitfires,Parkzone sell a painted plastic-rubbery
pilot.Hes just about scale size too.
Parkzone..PKZ1503..Plastic pilot;P-51D.
Thanks for the info freebird
Those 3700's must do very well. I will run a p-calc with your set up and see what en Endo can do . That pilot looks right at home and ready to go!

Oh, if someone has the cowl off, could you measure the distance from the front to rear of the motor mount area? I need a bit over 3" to clear the Endo and GD 600 box I will be running. The fuel mount may actually work as in my other planes that is the style with the clamshell mount that works well. Thanks!

John and Christo
Old Nov 05, 2005, 03:36 AM
Bradbury, Australia
Joined Mar 2002
159 Posts
DP..got me thinking about handlaunching techniques,could even launch Spitfire inverted.But thats a bit beyond my flying skills at present.
I didnt install rudder,just glued some stiff ply hinges so rudder is firmly fixed.
The elevator was not set up as stock. I made Z bend at servo end and soldered connecters at tail end ,though it was awkward soldering at tail end.Have no servo buzzing at all with setup.
Started to scale up Spitfire MK IX
I added a lick of paint to cowl,put on a radio mast,pilots there and will be fitting cannon barrels and radiator scoops shortly.May even detail cockpit

John and Christo..have attached pic of motor mounts side by side
Hope it helps
Old Nov 05, 2005, 09:13 PM
Warbird crazy!
Joined Sep 2004
3,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird
DP..got me thinking about handlaunching techniques,could even launch Spitfire inverted.But thats a bit beyond my flying skills at present.
I didnt install rudder,just glued some stiff ply hinges so rudder is firmly fixed.
The elevator was not set up as stock. I made Z bend at servo end and soldered connecters at tail end ,though it was awkward soldering at tail end.Have no servo buzzing at all with setup.
Started to scale up Spitfire MK IX
I added a lick of paint to cowl,put on a radio mast,pilots there and will be fitting cannon barrels and radiator scoops shortly.May even detail cockpit
John and Christo..have attached pic of motor mounts side by side
Hope it helps
Yes it helps major thanks for taking the time freebird! Looking forward to your details . Now fitting proper Spit style retracts, that would be fun to do .

John and Christo