Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 08, 2008, 09:26 AM
heli test pilot
nileinstaller's Avatar
southern England
Joined Aug 2007
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socomon
What motor and prop did you finally settle on?

same as me .. turnigy 35/48 1100 KV and a 10x7 aeronaught folding prop

well done Andrew
nileinstaller is offline Find More Posts by nileinstaller
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2008, 04:32 PM
High Altitude Bliss
Hypoxic's Avatar
France
Joined Jun 2007
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileinstaller
same as me .. turnigy 35/48 1100 KV and a 10x7 aeronaught folding prop

well done Andrew
What size yoke and spinner are you using with these props? 50mm?
I may pick one up for myself.
Hypoxic is offline Find More Posts by Hypoxic
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2008, 12:32 AM
Registered User
Andrew u.k.'s Avatar
Berkshire U.K.
Joined Oct 2006
525 Posts
50mm. It looks about right.
Mine is undergoing a little surgery, I have found hitting the ground a couple of times enables you to get the cowl to fit on a bit better.

Andrew
Andrew u.k. is offline Find More Posts by Andrew u.k.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2008, 01:02 PM
High Altitude Bliss
Hypoxic's Avatar
France
Joined Jun 2007
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew u.k.
50mm. It looks about right.
Mine is undergoing a little surgery, I have found hitting the ground a couple of times enables you to get the cowl to fit on a bit better.

Andrew
Funny... I found that to be the case with my mustang too.
Hypoxic is offline Find More Posts by Hypoxic
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 05:02 AM
heli test pilot
nileinstaller's Avatar
southern England
Joined Aug 2007
462 Posts
you need the 52 mm yoke and 50 mm spinner aeronaut make them


35 mph winds today so not a good day to maiden that indoor flyer


dont you just love united hobbies

placed oprder sunday night at 9pm .. was marked shipped monday morning @ 9am

but im still waiting for an order placed on the 27th Feb


top tip , always pay for EMS delivery as they pick these in front of air parcels orders

nileinstaller is offline Find More Posts by nileinstaller
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 04:29 PM
Registered User
Carberry, MB Canada
Joined Feb 2004
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJayne
So we're onto biplanes. To keep things on track (you can trust me Paddy ) I was wondering what a Spitty biplane would look like.
Now doesn't this look coooool

Mark
Hey fella, quit drinkin in the workshop! You could fall and smash one of your ships!
spitcrazy is offline Find More Posts by spitcrazy
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 04:52 PM
High Altitude Bliss
Hypoxic's Avatar
France
Joined Jun 2007
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileinstaller

top tip , always pay for EMS delivery as they pick these in front of air parcels orders


So ture. I've noticed that EMS orders show up in about a week or less. Registered items show up within two weeks and regular mail items can take a month to a month and a half to receive.
Hypoxic is offline Find More Posts by Hypoxic
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:59 AM
heli test pilot
nileinstaller's Avatar
southern England
Joined Aug 2007
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxic
So ture. I've noticed that EMS orders show up in about a week or less. Registered items show up within two weeks and regular mail items can take a month to a month and a half to receive.
i have three orders being delivered tomorrow from United hobbies

one was ordered on the 27Th by air parcel one was ordered friday last week and one was ordered three days agao .. the last two by ems delivery ,, that makes almost $3000 this month .. im in the dog house if the wife finds out
nileinstaller is offline Find More Posts by nileinstaller
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 05:55 AM
I fly for Beer
Jagzilla's Avatar
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
$3000.00 this month?? Wow, you got it bad!!
J
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:00 AM
heli test pilot
nileinstaller's Avatar
southern England
Joined Aug 2007
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagzilla
$3000.00 this month?? Wow, you got it bad!!
J
naw I sell it on
nileinstaller is offline Find More Posts by nileinstaller
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 06:46 PM
Got shenpa?
flieslikeabeagle's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Anyone try A123 cells on their Spitfire?

Inspired by Charles (Everydayflyer) thread on his "$10 A123 charger" (link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747911 ) I think I will try out a 3S A123 pack. I just put the pack together today and it weighs 255 grams with connector, wiring, and some heavy electrical tape wrap for insulation. The 4S 3000 mAh lipo pack it is replacing weighed 267 grams, so the A123 is actually a little lighter.

The catch, of course, is that there is less voltage to be had (probably under 9 V when loaded), so I have to use a higher Kv motor and higher current draw (somewhere in the 30 - 40 amp range) to make up for the reduced voltage. Not the way I usually prefer to go, but the thought of 10-minute quick charges is very tempting. So is the thought of better performance than I'm getting with my cheapy Ebay lipo packs.

I ordered one of the 35mm Turnigy motors and it just arrived - it's a 3542 motor with a nominal kv of 1100 rpm/V, and it too is a few grams lighter than the 3548 motor I have in the Spitfire at present.

When I get a little more free time I'll swap in the new motor and new A123 pack and figure out what prop will get me the power and pitch speed I want for the Spitfire. 300 - 350 W would be nice, and well within the capability of a 3S A123 pack. If the motor's actual Kv is close to the advertised value of 1100 rpm/V, the 11x8 APC "E" prop I already have on the Spitfire (chosen to go with the current 4S lipo and 690 rpm/V motor) should also be about right with the new higher Kv motor and lower voltage 3S A123 pack.

I'll let you folks know how it all turns out once I get this thing in the air.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 01:24 AM
Got shenpa?
flieslikeabeagle's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Got the new motor (Turnigy 3542-1100) swapped in to the 'Spit , did one rough Kv measurement and got 1085 rpm/V - maybe this one is actually close to the advertised value - that will be a first for this manufacturer!

On the minus side, this is the first XYH/ HXT / Turnigy motor I've bought that is noticeably out of balance - it vibrates when throttled up with no propeller installed. There isn't much I can do about it, so I guess I'll just leave it alone and see how things go.

Assuming 2.9 volts per A123 cell (8.7 total) and 75% motor efficiency, WebOCalc says 33 amps current draw with a 11x8 "E" prop, along with about 46 oz thrust and 58 mph pitch speed. That should be plenty.

If all goes well I hope to fly the beastie tomorrow evening after work. We'll see how it goes!

Oh, ready to fly weight is 44 ounces now, with the 3S A123 and slightly smaller Turnigy motor. I must either have been mistaken or misremembered - I thought I was at 42 oz with the lipo setup - or maybe that was with the small 2100 mAh 4S lipo pack that I was using at one point.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 06:19 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Beagle:

How does one measue the actual kv of a motor?
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 06:37 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
danny.act's Avatar
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,001 Posts
Axi 2820-10 interesting deal!

Esprit model : 30% off on price of the Blue anodised Axi motors including 2820-10 !
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=6570

regards,
Danny.
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 09:27 AM
heli test pilot
nileinstaller's Avatar
southern England
Joined Aug 2007
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
Got the new motor (Turnigy 3542-1100) swapped in to the 'Spit , did one rough Kv measurement and got 1085 rpm/V - maybe this one is actually close to the advertised value - that will be a first for this manufacturer!

On the minus side, this is the first XYH/ HXT / Turnigy motor I've bought that is noticeably out of balance - it vibrates when throttled up with no propeller installed. There isn't much I can do about it, so I guess I'll just leave it alone and see how things go.

Assuming 2.9 volts per A123 cell (8.7 total) and 75% motor efficiency, WebOCalc says 33 amps current draw with a 11x8 "E" prop, along with about 46 oz thrust and 58 mph pitch speed. That should be plenty.

If all goes well I hope to fly the beastie tomorrow evening after work. We'll see how it goes!

Oh, ready to fly weight is 44 ounces now, with the 3S A123 and slightly smaller Turnigy motor. I must either have been mistaken or misremembered - I thought I was at 42 oz with the lipo setup - or maybe that was with the small 2100 mAh 4S lipo pack that I was using at one point.

-Flieslikeabeagle
me thinks you will be better off with the 3548 1100 kv motor ,,, if only to get the cg right without adding balast, Im shocked to hear your 3542 is out of balance ,, I just sold 5 of them hope its a one off having siad that FLB I sent a watts meter back to Hobby city and they did replace it within 14 days, so id send it back if your not happy

Doug

PS just finished the supermiss maidden asap and the beaufighter wing is complete
nileinstaller is offline Find More Posts by nileinstaller
Last edited by nileinstaller; Mar 17, 2008 at 09:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion what do ya think about this video? furyflyer2 Foamies (Kits) 2 May 05, 2006 05:19 PM
Discussion What do ya think, JR 10x heli or JR 9303? Bunyan Radios 2 Apr 24, 2006 04:20 PM
Discussion brushless pcw, going lipo 1stimer, what do ya think? snowcrash75 Flying Wings 1 Dec 31, 2005 02:36 AM
What do ya think about that? dad57c Engines 2 Dec 15, 2005 09:15 AM
Mini-Falcon,..What do ya think?,. wackyd Slope 19 Jan 29, 2005 09:41 PM