HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2005, 02:37 AM
Rat Dude
AZ
Joined Jun 2004
596 Posts
AutoCAD for sale - $99.95 Too good to be true???

I'll admit it, I'm not sure about this site. They are offering full, operating versions of AutoCAD 2004 for $29.95, and AutoCAD 2005 for $99.95. You don't get a box, manual or other stuff...just the ability to download the program from their site.

http://www.blyapal.com/category.php?category=9

I thought I'd run it by everybody here and see what they think about this. Is it some sort of scam to get my credit card number, or a legit thing. I find it hard to believe that a $3700 program could be sold for $99.95...and I usually believe "if it sounds too good to be true...". Has anyone done business with this operation???

If I get brave enough to try it with my Credit Card I'll let you all know. It would be nice to get something that powerful for such a low price...and they have a lot of good software.

Anybody else????
mwraight is offline Find More Posts by mwraight
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2005, 03:52 AM
UK, Coventry
Joined Aug 2005
528 Posts
Assuminf they are not illegal they are probably OEM versions. You only have to look at Microsoft Office bundles with new computers to see what cuts they can make in software. You can buy a computer with MS office on it for similar prices to buying MS office brand new.

With no production overheads in creating disks, boxes etc they can cut the price even further.

You might be better trying some of the computer forums if you want to find out about the company.
mhodgson is offline Find More Posts by mhodgson
Old Aug 27, 2005, 09:26 AM
Joined Feb 2005
7 Posts
This is pirated or warez software, the web site is registered in tahiti and hosted by Rogers in CA. The software is downloaded with cracks or pirated passwords with all that entails. If you're comfortable with that you can download it for free from the nntp newsgroups but don't be upset if you try to register it and the vendor comes calling.
jerryjerry is offline Find More Posts by jerryjerry
Old Aug 27, 2005, 09:26 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,379 Posts
There is a version of Autocad 2004 that is a 30 day time limit demo. Could that be what they are selling??

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Aug 27, 2005, 10:06 AM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Could be a retail CD. Doesn't take long for the Warez groups to crack the serial number sequence and create a key generator or you may get a real registered serial.

Most retailers keep a database of registered keys. You try to update your "free" or discounted copy and the retailer sends you a nuke that disables it or completely wipes it out. Microsoft is doing that now with their OS's.

Autodesk is sending out version 2006 demos. Just go to their website and ask for a CD.
SoCalGliderFlyr is offline Find More Posts by SoCalGliderFlyr
Old Aug 27, 2005, 10:32 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjerry
This is pirated or warez software, the web site is registered in tahiti and hosted by Rogers in CA. The software is downloaded with cracks or pirated passwords with all that entails. If you're comfortable with that you can download it for free from the nntp newsgroups but don't be upset if you try to register it and the vendor comes calling.
jerryjerry is exactly right. If you want to use pirated software learn how to use usenet/nntp news services. Don't pay these goons money that can then be traced back to you. Best way to get cheap software legitimately???? Signup for a class at the local community college and use student pricing or get a student to buy the software for you. All scenarios are ethically challenging, let your conscience be your guide...
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Aug 27, 2005, 10:57 AM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
What is a "crack" and what is done with it?
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old Aug 27, 2005, 11:07 AM
iankraus.com/rcvideo
Joined Jun 2001
450 Posts
a crack is a way around the copy protection of the software. eg. a serial number and instructions, a piece of software that generates a challenge response number etc.
iankraus is offline Find More Posts by iankraus
Old Aug 27, 2005, 11:32 AM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Also some "crackz" will disable the search for CD feature on games. This is actually a patch -- "challenge response". Null bit.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 12:05 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Autocad isn't "sold".
You purchase a license to use.
It's a multi-thousand dollar product, no one legitimate could sell it at $99.95.
And Autocad is "vigorous" about abuses such as this.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Aug 27, 2005, 02:47 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Only when pissed off ex-employees turn in their ex-company. Then the clandestine copies are usually the ones the ex-employee loaded on the computers. Still costs more to prosecute than they collect.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 05:37 PM
Rat Dude
AZ
Joined Jun 2004
596 Posts
So it seems the consensus is that this is basically a sham. It did sound a little too good to be true!

I did a little more search and found that website in the directory of a spam blacklist, and also in a google search their name "downloadable software inc." links to about 20 websites with different names that all go to the same place.

I'd love to be able to get software like I did when I was in college. I paid $5 for Windows XP Pro and another $5 for MS Office. But it was all legitimate, supplied by Microsoft, and I have the license.

Hopefully this thread will help others avoid a mistake. I know it did for me. I have no interest in pirated software or cracked codes! I prefer to run an honest ship here!

Thanks everybody!
mwraight is offline Find More Posts by mwraight
Old Sep 10, 2005, 09:01 AM
Joined Sep 2005
4 Posts
As to Autodesk proscuting they certainly will, unfortunately most of the time they can only proscute in the US and some offshore places. However there are many locations where a distributor will buy a legimate copy of AutoCAD and then "crack the code" and redistribute the software offshore at riduclas prices. The problem being that you lose support for these copies however some distributors do thier own support. They can do this for two reasons, first they can get all the patches, etc from Autodesk because they do own a legal copy, remeber! And secondly they have lured Autodesk employees to thier locations with riduculas salaries and benifits.

However using a copy of that software in the US is illegal and you could end up going to court.

As far as the education version of AutoCAD is concerned the price is about 1/3 of the retail price when I first purchased it (I'm going to date mayself the first version I bought was AutoCAD 9.) I updated the educational version through AutoCAD 13, then I went into a home based minor busness and updated to the Commerical version, which basically cost me the difference between the educational version and the comerical version. As I recall the last educational version I had also maked in light letters across the output document "EDUCATIONAL VERSION" or words to that effect. I'm not sure that still happens or not. I am not mostly retired so I only maintaion AutoCAD R14 and AutoCAD 2002. I do new work in 2002 however a lot of drawings on the internet (not only model plans) will only load into R14, which is why I keep it on the system.
roy123 is offline Find More Posts by roy123
Old Sep 11, 2005, 08:02 PM
Joined Jul 2005
13 Posts
Paid me 20 dollars and Iíll get you a copy of autodesk 2006. Iím an architect so I get the latest version of autocad.
CABJ21 is offline Find More Posts by CABJ21
Old Sep 11, 2005, 08:36 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Don't forget your serial number and registration codes.