HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2001, 01:27 AM
Mountain View, CA
Joined Sep 2000
109 Posts
Night flying- What a Hoot!

Did some night flying tonight with my lil meat flyer. I used 3 LED's wired in serries with one resistor. Power is supplied by the battery by way of a "Y" off the ESC power in lead. The LED's were not as bright as I would have liked but considering I was flying on the street in front of my house in an area 40' x 80' it worked great. Orintation was no problem. The only drawback to flying at night on the street is you cant judge where the trees are too well

The whole system weighs 5 grams. Have a look

www.another-fine-mess.com/images/RC/Slowfly/sf005.JPG

www.another-fine-mess.com/images/RC/Slowfly/sf006.JPG

www.another-fine-mess.com/images/RC/Slowfly/sf007.JPG
J.Critchfield is offline Find More Posts by J.Critchfield
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2001, 10:21 AM
3 years crash free!
Hudson, WI
Joined Jun 2001
58 Posts
I've flown at night, but didn't add any lights to the plane, just picked a well lit parking lot after closing time. There was enough light to see, no wind, and no cars to avoid.
Karl is offline Find More Posts by Karl
Old Jul 04, 2001, 11:26 AM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Jan 2001
237 Posts
I was out last night with my Litestick and Glowire for the first time. The Glowire was purchased for a big wing and is way too long for the Litestickso I had to go around the wing perimeter, down the fuse and around the tail. There was enough weight on the wings to give them anhedral! But it took off and climbed just fine. It was easily controllable at any distance or attitude.
Night flying is a blast! I can't wait 'till winter when I don't have to stay up so late!
Charley
CharleyRexom is offline Find More Posts by CharleyRexom
Old Jul 04, 2001, 09:16 PM
Napoleon, Ohio
Joined Dec 1996
727 Posts
You're right, it's a blast! I used 1.5" glow sticks taped on. The thing looks like it moves twice as fast and twice as touchy. Winter flying with a full moon should be neat.

Keep 'em hummin'

Ray
Ray Lowinski is offline Find More Posts by Ray Lowinski
Old Jul 05, 2001, 01:35 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,465 Posts
I used the 1.5" glow sticks for a test flight of a litestik, the night before an event, it was lots of fun,

I plan to put lights on planes in the future, like the LED setup, there was an article in Model Aviation a couple months back on how to do it.
Paul Susbauer is online now Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 05, 2001, 01:48 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Night flying IS great fun.

Off the water it is also very pretty.....
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jul 05, 2001, 07:55 AM
Crest Hill,Il
Joined Oct 1999
200 Posts
Use a 25-365 blue led from Hosfelt Electronics. These are very bright. At night if I stand in the street with my plane I can put a blue spot on my house that is about 40 feet away. If I set it in the yard I can go blocks away and still see it. I also used a bright red one.
ckoerner is offline Find More Posts by ckoerner
Old Oct 02, 2001, 12:45 AM
United States, WA, Kent
Joined Sep 2001
718 Posts
ckoerner,
Thats exactly what Im looking to do, just ordered glo wire for the outline, but would like two different colored LEDs on the wings.
Did you run this off your main battery?
I use 7.2V 1600Mah packs on my Soarstar, I guess I will have to read up on how to change the voltage to support the 25-365 blue led you used.
joemi is offline Find More Posts by joemi