HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2005, 09:11 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
I really like this Extra...

Just showed up today! I've been looking at it for a while and finally pulled the trigger. It's built solid, for .25 glow. Little heavy but I'll live. It's going to be way overpowered. They have a lighter "E" version but I think this one definitely looks more scale. Price is right too!

I have two motors available. Axi 2814/12 or Python 200. Hopefully one will be good enough.

http://www.ak-models.com/extra300s25.htm

matt
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2005, 09:20 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
I have noticed that one too. It needs some curved gear but looks pretty good otherwise. The weight is a bit scary when you see the span and wing area but hopefully it will come out a bit lighter with lipos and brushless. The 2814 would easily fly it. I have the same motor in my 48" super sportster and it yanks it around like a rag doll. Keep us posted.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Aug 25, 2005, 09:43 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Can't wait to see it fly off the baseball diamond!!!
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Aug 31, 2005, 01:57 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattalbr
Just showed up today! I've been looking at it for a while and finally pulled the trigger. It's built solid, for .25 glow. Little heavy but I'll live. It's going to be way overpowered. They have a lighter "E" version but I think this one definitely looks more scale. Price is right too!

I have two motors available. Axi 2814/12 or Python 200. Hopefully one will be good enough.

http://www.ak-models.com/extra300s25.htm

matt

Matt,

I myself have been looking (salivating really) at that plane and was sorta shocked to read the weight listed! I then emailed the guys at raidentech these questions:

-----------------------------------------------------------
1. Your Flying weight is listed at 2.38 lb or 38 ounces, however
what is the kit weight for this plane? (In other words what's the
weight BEFORE I add in all my electrical components and radio
gear etc)

Their answer: No stats on that one

2. Since it is advertised as being able to be either nitro or
electric ... does it have a battery bay area built in already for
electric use or do I have to build one?

Their answer: You have to build it
-------------------------------------------------------

Really glad someone else has gotten it so I can get some details!

Two questions:

1. What is the weight of it without any motor, radio gear, battery etc. In other words ... JUST the parts. That way I can know what its AUW would be when I add MY motor and radio components etc.

2. In your opinion, (based on its current setup/construction) how easy/difficult would it be to add a battery bay/tray?

Thanks,

Colin.
wollins is offline Find More Posts by wollins
Old Aug 31, 2005, 02:13 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Very very nice and great price. Weight is a tad high, but nothing too alarming (probably). Keep us updated especially on the weights.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2005, 06:11 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
Get the hyperion curved gear or make your own and it would look really nice.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:47 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
Hadn't seen this thread lately so I didn't know their were new posts and questions. Mine is still in the box so obviously I don't have an AUW. I did pull all the pieces out of their bags and weighed them. Thank Collin for getting me to do this. I needed to do it but was too lazy. Everything weighed in grams and converted to ounces (Google is great for conversions!). Here are the weights:
  • Fuse: 180g/6.3oz
  • Wings: 172g/6.0oz
  • Cowl: 35g/1.2oz
  • Canopy: 52g/1.8oz
  • Tailfeathers: 40g/1.4oz
  • Accesories: 181g/6.4oz

Total weight: 660g/23.28oz

Note that the accesories did not include the fuel tank and motor mount but did include all other stuff (landing gear, wheels, wheelpants, linkages, connectors, etc) and all the small accesories I left in their little bag. It can't weigh that much. Also note the canopy weight will be reduced by appx. 25-40% depending on how much I cut away.

It is very well built and covered (has to stand up to the nasty glow fuel). Seems like there's plenty of space for battery tray above the wing in the fuse. I anticipate having to shove the batteries pretty far forward. Seems to be the case in glow2electric conversions I've seen.

matt
Last edited by mattalbr; Sep 21, 2005 at 01:07 PM. Reason: bad grammar bothers me alot!
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:53 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
That is a tad heavy, but might make a good windy day flyer. 200w should do nicely and give an AUW around 31-33oz....

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2005, 01:04 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
With my AXI 2814/12 and 3s2p tanic 4400, I'm ballparking my watts to be at 300-350. That's using an average voltage of 10V and 30-35 amp draw. I figure that's close enough for the girls I hang out with!

Let me know if I've erred in my logic. It happens often .

matt
Old Sep 21, 2005, 01:23 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
That should get off the ground..........

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2005, 07:27 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,231 Posts
Any update? I'm considering getting this beauty.
Malves is offline Find More Posts by Malves
Old Oct 16, 2005, 07:42 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
I just got the hardware today for mounting the AXI. It will be the first work I do on the model. It is a very nicely built model but keep in mind it's built for glow so is a little heavy. I forsee no problems though because of the power system I intend to use. I purshased the Hyperion curved landing gear as it looks more scale. I forget who suggested that, but thanks! I'll post some progress reports as I go. Right now I must finish the HET-RC Tucano before starting the Extra. Will probably start on it in a week or so.

I also have the P51 electric that Alex (AK Models) sells and it is a superb flyer.

matt
Last edited by mattalbr; Oct 16, 2005 at 07:48 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 07:59 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,231 Posts
Thank you, bro. I think I won't make it to Friday before I buy it. I really like it and by what you said before, it should be a nice plane for sport flying and to start practcing precision aerobatics.
Malves is offline Find More Posts by Malves
Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:50 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,429 Posts
Why not start with the electric version that they offer? Same wing area with far less wieght.

Just wondering if I am missing something?
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 03:53 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
IMO, this one looks more scale and a little nicer. You know about opinions though, they're like , everbody has one!

matt