HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2005, 03:15 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
284 Posts
Home made Depron SU-27 Flanker twin EDF

Hi there!

After having built Thomas Nelson's pusher flanker (and crashed it after a few dozen of flights...) I decided to rebuild this plane but with two ducted fans. The WemoTec minifan 480 seemed to be the first in size that produces acceptable performance. This also meant that I had to upscale the original plans to fit the fans. I think I succeeded by upscaling the plans with 50% and made the wings just fit on A0 paper format (i.e. 83cm).

There is still a lot to figure out so I just hope there is nothing to regret when a parth has just been glued in place.

Original plans can be found at http://www.foamyfactory.com/jets.htm
My intermediate plans can be found here http://www.xs4all.nl/~mbolier/RC/su27_150b_dxf.rar (sorry, only dxf for the moment).

For those who are interested: a video of the pusher Su-27 http://www.wxs.nl/~mbolier/media/Flankie1.wmv

Specs:
Material Glassed Depron
Wingspan approx. 83cm
Length approx: 110cm
Fans 2*WemoTec 480
Motor 2*Mega 16/15/2
ESC Probably 2*ASSAN
No landing gear but bungee with dolly.

I just hope I can give a nice contribution to this forum.

Marc.
allintheair is offline Find More Posts by allintheair
Last edited by allintheair; Aug 29, 2005 at 05:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2005, 03:26 PM
France
Joined Aug 2005
223 Posts
Just saw your plans. Good job
Tanguy&Laverdure is offline Find More Posts by Tanguy&Laverdure
Last edited by Tanguy&Laverdure; Aug 25, 2005 at 03:33 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 03:32 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
284 Posts
Some pictures, more will follow as soon as camera wants to cooperate with me again.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 10:16 AM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,900 Posts
Very cool, Marc - and keep the progress pictures coming! What do you figure for an AUW?
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Old Aug 26, 2005, 10:38 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
This should be a great jet when completed

The DXF file won't open for me I'll have to wait for a PDF
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Aug 28, 2005, 01:50 PM
Jevgenij Ka-
Ireland,Dubin
Joined Apr 2005
26 Posts
my Su-30
Jevgenij is offline Find More Posts by Jevgenij
Old Aug 29, 2005, 05:25 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
284 Posts
Wing profile

Thanks for the encouraging words!

@Jevgenij: nice bird! How is your taileron construction? When I get to that point I'll see how to fix them, probably I'll use a cf rod right through the trust tube.

@Thomas: I have not made an estimation of AUW yet. It will mostly depend on the batteries (low weigh (2s lipo or nicd) v.s. high power setup 3s lipo).

I am really struggling with the question "Should I add a wing profile or keep the flat depron profle (just rounded leading edge and sharp tail)".

Unless somebody has a good reason to drop the flat profile I will keep it. The alternative will be using MH43 and involves some work such as cutting the wings from the plane, create wood templates, cut, sand, .... and finding the new C.G. for the modified wing

Is it worth the trouble?

Thanks,
Marc
Last edited by allintheair; Aug 29, 2005 at 06:07 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 05:52 AM
France
Joined Aug 2005
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevgenij
my Su-30
OMG! so L O V E L Y!!

Can you tell us more about your Su-30? Thanks
Old Aug 29, 2005, 06:08 AM
France
Joined Aug 2005
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allintheair
and finding the new C.G. for the modified wing
http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/printer_288.shtml

Quote:
The Su-27 on the other hand cannot achieve full AOA and G ratings until internal fuel has been reduced to 60% ( (assuming that the maximum fuel load has been carried), meaning that a long range mission must account for not being cappable of efficent close-range combat until 40% of the fuel has been used. The technical reasons behind this limitation are simple; when fuel is reduced to by 40% the No.1 fuel tank, located behind the cockpit, and the No.4 tanks, located in the wings, are emptied. The importance of this lies in the No.1 tank which when full has an adverse affect on the plane’s center of gravity, moving it forward of the optimal balance. Thus when it is emptied the plane’s manvering cappabilities rise sharply. This fact means that the mission planning has to be very precise when it comes to the fuel – which is easy during training, but something almost impossible under real combat circumstances. In the case of any kind of unplanned engagements the plane has to get rid of fuel overload; jettisoning BVR missiles is also a very real possibility as they constitute a weight and aerodynamic penalty. Only once the Flanker is lightened to a certain extent it is highly maneuverable. However the Su-27 does possess an analog fly-by-wire system, something not employed by the MiG-29.
Old Jan 04, 2006, 02:46 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllInTheAir
My intermediate plans can be found here http://www.xs4all.nl/~mbolier/RC/su27_150b_dxf.rar (sorry, only dxf for the moment).
Hi allintheair,

I am having a very difficult time with your dxf file listed above. I cannot open it into something usefull. I have tried to re-name the file, changing it to a .dxf filetype, but nothing shows up on the CAD screen. If you can up-load the file directly to the thread, or maybe e-mail it to me at rcparkflyer@yahoo.com that might be better.

Thank you,
Tom - Milwaukee

I'd like to add this file to Thomas Nelson's SU-27 Page on my website www.parkjets.com once I have something that is correct.
Thanks!!
Old Jan 04, 2006, 07:10 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,926 Posts
it's a rar file and needs to be decompressed using winrar . i've recompressed it using the zip format and attached it, hopefully this is ok allintheair?

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old Jan 04, 2006, 08:44 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Dxf

Is this what I am supposed to be seeing?
Old Jan 04, 2006, 10:10 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
284 Posts
Ik looks like you are missing some layers. Please Google for a freeware version of Voloview. I cannot place a direct link here because it is copyrighted. Mail me if you keep having trouble....

These plans are only upscaled and modiefied to fit on A0 format. Some sections cross so at least two prints should be made (or tape after cutting...). I hope to continue within a few weeks and will update the plans when the major building has completed.

There is one essential modification that is not in the current plan: the rear part is made a bit wider to fit the EDF's.

All plans are free to modify & distribute.

Currently I am still deciding if I should cut off the wings and add some MH43. That means that I also have to make a foam cutter.
Old Jan 04, 2006, 04:39 PM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,926 Posts
i've attached what i see in acad05 and i've also saved it in acad2000 dwg format and attached it too to see if that will open any better in your cad program

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Last edited by Happy|Harry; Jan 04, 2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2006, 05:19 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
No Joy I think it only opens DXF files I'll wait till the PDF Template file gets made, Thanks for all of your help!!