HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2005, 11:03 PM
Generally R/C Insane!!!
Newton Iowa USA
Joined Oct 2003
82 Posts
Question
Top Flight Stinson Reliant SR-9 Kit

I just aquired a Top Flight Gold Edition Stinson Reliant Kit NIB. I want to build this but I think it is above my capabilities. Are there any custom builders that are reputable that wouldn't break my bank that could build this plane to an ARC state? Hope to hear back soon!
rceagle1a is offline Find More Posts by rceagle1a
Last edited by rceagle1a; Aug 26, 2005 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Misspelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2005, 11:02 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,180 Posts
have you ever built a large kit? I can tell you that its going to be a bit expensive... if you have not aqquired the skills, go and buy a Dumas SR-10 Reliant.. its a nice kit, will help you with the wing build ( hardest part).. if you have a few builds under your belt, I would suggest you start with the tail feathers .. easiest, goes quick and gets your hands dirty will little fuss...
gearup is offline Find More Posts by gearup
Old Aug 27, 2005, 11:14 PM
In Massive Debt
Northampton Massachussetts
Joined Jun 2005
2,001 Posts
I would build it for you, but im not guarnateeing anything lol, cause that will be the day i mess everything up
blizzardwarrior7 is offline Find More Posts by blizzardwarrior7
Old Sep 07, 2006, 10:06 AM
Joined Sep 2006
1 Posts
top flight stinson reliant

I'm building the stinson reliant by top flight and would like to know the requirements for a top gun level scale build. things like how to install the control hardware to scale competition standards. the model is turning out very nicely and thought it would look great with as much detail as possible. the plans do not give any detail as such. also would like to find a photo pac to see other details. any help would be appreciated.
rom324 is offline Find More Posts by rom324
Old Sep 07, 2006, 11:56 PM
It crashed in to what?
Joined Apr 2006
58 Posts
TopFlite Reliant SR9

I'm building a TopFlite Reliant SR 9. Its my first giant scale plane. It's no more difficult to build then a smaler scale plane. When things get hairy just leave it or work on another section. Take your time don't rush. I only work on mine when it rains. I find that mistakes are easyer to correct on the large scale. After all the parts are all bigger and easyer to work with. I just hate useing epoxy. Is there something better?
Ground Hugger is offline Find More Posts by Ground Hugger
Old Sep 10, 2006, 01:51 PM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
I have never built that kit ( Stinson Reliant). I know someone who is, and it is labor intensive, built very much like the real thing.
You just have to be patient, and take your time.
I think you should be able to use CA glue in place of epoxy for some of the assembly, but some things are best done with epoxy.
I keep a supply of 5 minute, 30 minute, and 2 hour epoxy on hand , plus I also use several thicnesses of CA, and also Elmers wood glue.

I have a SIG 1/3 scale Spacewalker I haven't started on yet, but it will take a lot of time to do it right.
It is built exactly like the full scale version.
Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed
Old Sep 13, 2006, 08:50 AM
It crashed in to what?
Joined Apr 2006
58 Posts
I have done the same with the same with the CA in places layering it. I use the thick CA in places that I feel I need a little more strength. The only problem I have with epox is that there are places you are suposed to use it and the only way to get it on these spots is to pour it on as you cant get at them like you can with CA.
Ground Hugger is offline Find More Posts by Ground Hugger
Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:47 AM
Joined Nov 2007
3 Posts
I have a completed one I'm looking to sell w/1.80 engine. It's the reason I'm looking into this web site but not sure how to place it on here..yet.
kf9tl is offline Find More Posts by kf9tl
Old Nov 23, 2007, 09:41 AM
Aberdeen, WA
Joined Sep 2001
315 Posts
put it in "FUEL PLANES FOR SALE".

Ben
benlo2d is offline Find More Posts by benlo2d