HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2002, 03:45 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,063 Posts
Great Planes F4 Phantom

What was the deal with this kit? It seems it has been discontinued.

Was this due to lack of interest, or lack of good flying qualities or a bad kit that led to lack of interest? Does anyone have one, and what do you think?

Mostly just curious, at one point I was thinking about building one as a sport flyer.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2002, 10:51 PM
Joined Jun 2002
8 Posts
I HAVE ONE!
im in the middle of construction now, so i cant tell you how well it flies, but it is faily easy contruction, and i have been impressed with it so far, fairly big too!
If you want to know anything more specific ill do my best!
binx is offline Find More Posts by binx
Old Aug 30, 2002, 04:57 AM
My cat up close
England
Joined Feb 2001
4,021 Posts
I had one in Vietnam camo,powered by an OS 61 (tractor) with retracts.
Model flies great,tracks very straight,responive to control inputs,landings are so easy,comes in nose high,you can use the throttle to control speed/descent,I managed to spot land it on our short tarmac strip every time.
Will roll ok,and loop with an inertial build up.Flies great inverted too.
Great flying model,but I think a .91 motor would give it that extra zap it needs.

Matt.
bipeflyer is offline Find More Posts by bipeflyer
Old Nov 03, 2002, 08:16 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,063 Posts
Sure is a cool looking kit. I think sales must not have done well here in the states because I can't find it anywhere. It used to be all over the place. The spot landings sound like a lot of fun!
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2002, 11:41 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,591 Posts
eddie: i'm guessing that g.p. has to sell a certain quantity or it discontinues the line. in the last 10 years i've seen one being built. none flying in the so cal area...........gregg
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Jan 14, 2003, 03:04 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
British Company

If I remember rightly there was a brittish fellow who makes a pretty scale F-4 out of glass that was really reasonable. It was intended for fans I think but you could convert it. Another really cheap alternative is J.D enterprises. they have a balsa F-4 for duct fans that could be converted also. It's about $160 pretty cheap for a Fan.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Feb 24, 2010, 04:28 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1 Posts
what are these worth?

I have one of these NIB, what is it worth? How much did they sell for new?
jservis17 is offline Find More Posts by jservis17
Old Aug 20, 2010, 09:47 AM
Joined Apr 2006
2 Posts
I got one

I bought one around 2007, i got it from ABC Hobbies in Laredo Texas, it cost me $120 , Ilive in Monterrey Mexico, but i have not build it because i have 2 childrens that they would be very happy to destroy what ever i have.
nightman2000_mx is offline Find More Posts by nightman2000_mx
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:15 AM
Lawrence, KS
Joined Apr 2003
196 Posts
Gp f-4

It is a pretty time consuming build if you glass it like I did. The first kits out, about 1999, had abs sides that were 1/2" too short, and it took a while for GP to admit it and produce the correct size pieces. Mine was underpowered with the OS 61. I went to a 91 after first flight.
wocketman is offline Find More Posts by wocketman