HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2005, 04:29 PM
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jan 2005
41 Posts
I can't figure out which outrunner to put on a Slow Stick

My brother has a Slow Stick with an E-Flight Park 370-4100. He is powering it with a 2 cell 720mah Li poly battery. It seems this is a popular motor for the Slow Stick. I want to get the same kind of performance but I like the Himax brushless outrunner motors. The problem is I canít figure out which one will give me the same kind of performance as my brothers.

I used an electric motor calculator to figure out that his plane should be putting out just under17oz of thrust. That was using a 6.6 gear ratio and an 11X8 prop which as best as I can tell is the set up that came with the Slow Stick 300C. Now if I am right about this the setup I am looking at is direct drive only so that would mean a different size prop too. Can anyone with a little more expertise point me in the right direction?
Ralgh is offline Find More Posts by Ralgh
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2005, 05:04 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
PJS-800

The guys over in the Aerial Photography forum are having GREAT luck with this motor on their Slow Sticks -- and they're hauling $500+ digital cameras to boot!

EDIT --> I just realized you're asking about Himax motors. I'm using the 2025-4200 on my Slow Stick. With my 5.67:1 gearbox, a 3s Lipo, and a 10x7 prop, I'm getting 20.2 ounces of thrust at 10 amps (peak amps measured with my Watts Up meter during flight). Rock on!
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Last edited by Red 61; Aug 23, 2005 at 05:09 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 05:56 PM
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jan 2005
41 Posts
Iím not married to the Himax but they do come with mounts that will fit the Slow Stick. I like the fact that Himax motors come with the stuff you need. I also have the 2025-4200 in my Shogun 400.

I have a little Westport outrunner on my GWS Cub and it is super quiet. Most of the noise from my brothers and two other buddiesí planes is from the gearbox. I was hoping by going direct drive with the outrunner I could keep the noise way down.

The All e RC website says the HC2808 is the one to replace the 280/370/400 motors. Maybe I should have said that in my first post. There is a bunch of other motor information I donít know how to apply. The concerns I have are that I want at least as much power as the planes my buddies have but I donít want to go too overboard at the expense of battery life. I actually have a Thunder Power 1320Mah 2 cell that I use in the Slow Stick right now. Additionally I have no idea how to figure out what size prop to use.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 06:04 PM
Joined Mar 2005
565 Posts
I have been asking a lot of questions about this exact thing over the past week or so. You might just do a search on my name and read some of the posts.

For a Himax, I had planned on one of the lower KV 2808 (860 or 980) because it could swing a larger prop. I was trying to keep the weight down, so didn't want to go with a larger 2812 model. Although, the 2812-0650 will turn a 12x6 prop so it was looking pretty good for me.

However, I think I may have read too many bad reports about the Himax outrunners. There are reports of them coming apart due to design flaws, poor customer service, and several recommendations to just get a better motor.

I don't want to spend too much money on it, so I've been shopping around. The main one I'm considering now is this Apache (currently out of stock though). It's supposed to be about as good as a Hacker, but less expensive. At any rate, it's supposed to better than the Himax motors, quality-wise - just what I'm picking up from forum comments.

Another one I just looked at briefly today is this one from CustomCDR. I don't know much about that one.

You might take a look at these two. I think you're probably looking for this size motor if you're planning on using 2-cell lipo. You might be underpowered if you go to a 400+ size motor.

I really like the Himax setup, with the different mounts (stick mount), and the low price. However, the quality issues have begun to concern me.

Jason
Jason Paul is offline Find More Posts by Jason Paul
Old Aug 23, 2005, 06:23 PM
Joined Jan 2005
251 Posts
I fly with the 2812-0850. It will swing a 12 x 3.8 prop and be within the max amps rated for the motor. This setup puts out 33oz of static thrust using a Kokam 2000mah 15c pack.

Mac
cmacclel is offline Find More Posts by cmacclel
Old Aug 24, 2005, 01:08 PM
Sevier County, East Tennessee
Joined Oct 2001
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgh
Iím not married to the Himax but they do come with mounts that will fit the Slow Stick...
StevensAero has aluminum mounts for the 10mm GWS stick and Hacker A20 Series outrunner motors.
CADman is offline Find More Posts by CADman
Old Aug 24, 2005, 02:09 PM
Rank Newbie
South Alabama
Joined Jul 2004
697 Posts
My brother-in-law picked up a Himax outrunner. Not sure which one (mid-size) but it seems to run good. A problem with it that we've found is that the stickmount is rather weak and bends fairly easily. The gearbox for the 2025's are much heavier duty...but, then you have the gears to deal with. Maybe they've beefed these mounts up from the original ones.

Ed
Intheswamp
intheswamp is offline Find More Posts by intheswamp
Old Aug 24, 2005, 02:12 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
FYI -- I've got over 20 hours (and 80 flights) on my Himax 2025-4200 with Cobri 20 gearbox (5.67:1 ratio), and the gears still look great.
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Aug 24, 2005, 02:39 PM
Rank Newbie
South Alabama
Joined Jul 2004
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
FYI -- I've got over 20 hours (and 80 flights) on my Himax 2025-4200 with Cobri 20 gearbox (5.67:1 ratio), and the gears still look great.
<chuckle> I have no doubt about the 2025's being good motors. I've got one and it is a strong motor that can take the heat. It was my first brushless and used the stock himax gb. This was during my initial flight learning. I had problems with the grub screws holding along with the "un-controlled landings"(reverse of controlled crash) causing gears to get smeared, etc., bent shafts, etc.,. Thankfully replacement shafts and gears are readily available.

I'm not sure where Ralgh's at in his flying abilities and guess I was thinking of a newbie. Seems an outrunner is less problematical for someone learning to fly, but there again, it's takes away the aspect of experimentation with different props and gears. Pros and cons for both types of motors.

I replaced my motor shaft a while back after in sheered off while my hayfield flying oakstick was in flight. It's ready to run, but so far haven't installed it in a plane. I replaced it with a Hacker 20-22L which doesn't have the power of the 2025-4266 but seems to be smoother running. My brother-in-law and I will be flying this weekend so I might put the 2025 back on the oakstick and give it a workout to check out the new motor-shaft.

I've heard good things about the Cobri gb's...might just have to try one. Especially since now most of my flights end in a "controlled crash" rather than the opposite.

Ed
Intheswamp
intheswamp is offline Find More Posts by intheswamp
Old Aug 24, 2005, 02:44 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Quote:
Now if I am right about this the setup I am looking at is direct drive only so that would mean a different size prop too. Can anyone with a little more expertise point me in the right direction?
you will not be able to use that motor direct drive.

I use a PJS 550e that I picked up from HL on sale for $27! Works well....
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2005, 02:58 PM
Registered Boozer
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
I use this:

Balsa Product Brushless Motor

21 oz of thrust gets my SS and my camera in the air fast!!!

Can't beat the price or the performance.

-Ralph-
www.rcairborne.com
Ralph_D is offline Find More Posts by Ralph_D
Old Aug 24, 2005, 03:05 PM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,404 Posts
Bp-21

I also use the BP-21 and it works great. Cheap too! Balsa Products is also advertising another motor besides the 21 and the 12. can't remember exactly what it is but it is listed with the other two. The specs. make it look like it might even be better. Seems like it is out of stock a lot so people must be buying them.
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
Old Aug 24, 2005, 03:34 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,848 Posts
try this combo - http://www.aero-nuts.com/product_inf...roducts_id=266 $45 shipped for an 09Y and 30A ESC. I'm using this on my slowstick now with 2C, it works great. 3C to come.
bsoder is offline Find More Posts by bsoder
Old Aug 24, 2005, 04:27 PM
Joined Mar 2005
565 Posts
I saw the new BP motor ( BP 8Y ) a week or so ago. I wasn't sure about it because of the price (cheap), but I've heard mostly good reports about the BP motors.

Since this one looks more suited to the Slow Stick, I may just save some money and go with it. Of course it's out of stock right now, but I'm in no rush.

If you're not in a hurry, you might check that one out as well.

Jason
Jason Paul is offline Find More Posts by Jason Paul
Old Aug 24, 2005, 05:38 PM
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jan 2005
41 Posts
Well I did several hours of research last night and after considering several different options I made a decision. The only reason I heard to not use the Himax motor was potential reliability. I donít dispute someone having problems with this motor but I was unable to find anything specific. I ran several different setups through Motocalc to be able to compare them.

Since I have more money than brains, I am impatient when I get an idea, and it was available locally I got the Himax HC2808-0980. I will let you guys know if I have reliability problems. Using my brotherís setup as the benchmark I was able to get an idea of where I should stand. It should have some more thrust than his and not exceed any limits of the motor, battery or ESC with the prop I am using. I have done static runups in my living room and it will gently accelerate out of my hand when I point it straight up at full throttle with the wing off. It should be respectable with the wing on. It is too windy to fly right now but I will let you know how it goes once the wind dies down.

I actually thought of taking the Hacker B20 15L out of my Fliton Jumping Jack and putting it in the Slow Stick. It would have stupid power then. I was a little disappointed in the power it has in my Jumping Jack and have been contemplating a more powerful motor for that.

Intheswamp:

I have been flying airplanes for 21 years now so hopefully I wonít have any wrecks with this thing. I have been flying the Slow Stick for about a year on the stock motor with no problems. I have the Himax 2025-4200 in my helicopter which I am new at, but it seems to be a solid motor for that application.

Pda4you:

I meant direct drive for the Himax motor not the E-flite motor. I think that was what you were referring to on my previous post. I am not always clear on what I write when I am thinking something through, reference the amount of brains I have in a previous paragraph.