HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2005, 04:31 PM
Great Lakes Guy
United States, MI, Farmington Hills
Joined Feb 2005
124 Posts
Model Boat Trailer! Transporting Models!

I might just get to build my model boat trailer this winter, and was wondering what some of you folks have come up with to haul your models around?

I have several large models that will be ridding in a modified 14’ aluminum boat trailer. I plan to build a 13.5’ x 3’ x 4’ box, with 4 gall wing doors and rear door. All models either slid in the back or placed in the side through the gall wing doors. Goal is to make it light and as cheap as possible without compromising strength. All this is sure to change after seeing some idea’s from you. Thanks a bunch!!
Jeff_Churill is offline Find More Posts by Jeff_Churill
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2005, 05:04 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,050 Posts
I thought you were going to need a trailor for your Lakers! Rather than modifying a boat trailer, why not start from a kit trailer like habror freight carries? Could be a lot cheaper! The spring rates on the 'light duty' type trailers could provide a softer ride than a boat trailer that was designed for 300+ pounds of load... Here in CA, it is a fairly straightforward process getting home-made trailers approved for road use...
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Aug 22, 2005, 05:04 PM
Star Line Hydro-Jet Ferry
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
Joined Feb 2005
234 Posts
Since I only bring a small one each time I move it (usually) I hold it while someone else drives, the trips are never long.
Jeff G is offline Find More Posts by Jeff G
Old Aug 22, 2005, 05:06 PM
Joined Feb 2005
234 Posts
Aerominded, if youve never been to Michigan, we need very easy riding trailers, we have some of the worst roads in the country!
Old Aug 22, 2005, 05:15 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G
Aerominded, if youve never been to Michigan, we need very easy riding trailers, we have some of the worst roads in the country!
That's because Lower Michigan has 6 months of winter and 6 months of road construction. Da UP has 9 months of winter and 3 months of road construction.

I spent 5 years in DA UP at da Soo - sorta makes me a "common law Yooper", eh?
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Aug 22, 2005, 05:32 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
to transport my MV Gemini around, I have a pine crate, 1/2" thick pine.

having 4 compartments, 1 holds the batteries, 1 holds a Tx, (the one in the picture is a Futaba 2ER, which was the TX that I was using when the case was built, the 6EXA does not fit), and a charger takes up the centre compartment. with the long one holding the ship

the crate usually goes in the car with the 3 compartments facing the boot cil, putting Gemini up against the seat.

weight: YOU DONT WANNA KNOW, its somewhere around 10 to 15 kilos fully loaded, the boat weighs less than 2 with batteries in her!
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Aug 22, 2005, 05:37 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,050 Posts
Hee hee, I have some friends in Wisc. who tell interesting stories about UPs!

Your heavy winters in Michigan don't do half the damage the neglect and poor planning do to our roads here in CA!

Soft spings all around!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Aug 22, 2005, 10:31 PM
Joined Feb 2005
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Bob
That's because Lower Michigan has 6 months of winter and 6 months of road construction. Da UP has 9 months of winter and 3 months of road construction.

I spent 5 years in DA UP at da Soo - sorta makes me a "common law Yooper", eh?

Also, Michigan has higher axle load limits in trucks, making the load/weight on the road at a given point higher than other states. More pressure is exerted on the road.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 10:34 PM
Joined Feb 2005
234 Posts
Being a troll myself (live under the Mackinac Bridge in the Lower peninsula) yoopers have a totall different s ound to a lot of us.Though they say Michiganders/Michiganians have an accent. example: Your (yor) we say (yer)
Old Aug 24, 2005, 06:03 AM
Great Lakes Guy
Joined Feb 2005
124 Posts
The roads here in lower Michigan are real bad. Very poor planning. Some road workers can care less about fixing them RIGHT! The joke out here is, The pot holes here have there own exit and on ramps.

I looked at a few utility trailers, but they where either to wide or not long enough. I don't have access to a welder so I'm limited thier to. Then I found a used boat trailer for $150.00

The springs are a bit hard. So I'll cut out a few of the leafs. Maybe find some small shocks.

I'd like to see how some of you built crates like Ghost did, very nice! Some ideas on how to secure a model down?
Old Aug 24, 2005, 11:12 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,318 Posts
I will Photograph trailers this weekend and report back.

Umi
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Aug 27, 2005, 12:49 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,318 Posts
Ok, the trailers are in...

Three of these carry huge deep cycle batteries and inverters for charging the boat batteries, and for running lights before and after night battles.

Besides the boats, tables, buoys, harbor gates, islands and all sorts of accessories come out of these "boat carts". I have seen scroll saws, dremels, and even a 115v arc welder come out of these trailers and put to use at the pond.

This club could build and sail a boat without leaving the pond.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 11:46 AM
Great Lakes Guy
Joined Feb 2005
124 Posts
Thats what I'm talking about Really gives me some ideas! Thanks a bunch!

WOW!
Old Aug 27, 2005, 01:51 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,438 Posts
Those are very interesting trailer designs. How are the ships secured when under way?
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 28, 2005, 12:57 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,318 Posts
The work bench surfaces slide, or lift up and the boats are stowed down inside a foam lined space below the bench top. The opposite(low) half of the trailer is also ship stowage, and the top is a shared bench for other ship captains. The bottom eight inches is accessable from the back of the trailer and an eight foot table and tent poles for canvas/tarp raincover or shades are stowed underneath. The front sections carry the batteries, co2 tanks and other large tools/toolboxes and model parifinalia.

These trailers can transport up to four 1/72nd scale (56"-68") destroyers, or two destroyers and one heavy cruiser.