SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

Ultrafly Furious and Outrage 3D Biplanes Review

Jim Walker enjoys exploring these new generation 3D full fuselage electric aerobats. He finds the Outrage to be a great sport plane with nice 3D capabilities & very capable as a 3D trainer, and the Furious to be a great 3D plane with nice sport capabilities. Don't miss the GREAT video!!!

Splash

Introduction

Ultrafly Furious 3D
Wingspan:28.3"
Wing Area:313 sq. in.
Listed Wt:10.2 oz.
As tested:11.3 oz.
Length:30"
Wing Loading:5.20 oz/sq. ft.
Servos:3 - Futaba S3108M
Transmitter:Hitec Eclipse 7
Receiver:Futaba R124F
Battery:GP Electrifly 3S 640mah 15C li-po
===============================
The B/06 outrunner and Typhoon 15 ESC were a perfect match for the Outrage and Furious 3D.
The B/06 outrunner and Typhoon 15 ESC were a perfect match for the Outrage and Furious 3D.
Ultrafly B/06/10 Motor &
Typhoon 15 ESC
KV:1000
Max Input:12 amps/180 watts
Weight:42g
Motor Diameter:32.5mm
Shaft Diameter:3.17mm
ESC Max Current:15 amps
ESC Weight:.5 oz
Programmable:Yes
===============================

Ultrafly Outrage 3D
Wingspan:28.3"
Wing Area:338 sq. in.
Listed Wt:10.2 oz.
As tested:11.3 oz.
Length:30.1"
Wing Loading:4.81 oz/sq. ft.
Servos:3 - Futaba S3108M
Transmitter:Hitec Eclipse 7
Receiver:Futaba R124F
Battery:GP Electrifly 3S 640mah 15C li-po
Manufacturer:Ultrafly
Available Online From:Tower Hobbies

With the flat foamie revolution well under way and the genre nearing full maturity, the market is starting to see a lot of duplication. There are still some new innovations to be seen, but it's not like it was -- with something new and ground-breaking on nearly a daily basis. With that in mind, I was pleasantly suprised to see Ultrafly models release two new 3D biplanes that have broken the mold. Ultrafly Models have come on the scene recently and have so far released new and innovative models that are high performance as well as quick and easy to build. Throw in very reasonable prices and they have made a recipe for success.

Ultrafly is so confident in these great flyers that they will replace damaged components for a limited time after purchase, no questions!

The new Outrage and Furious 3D biplanes were no exception to Ultrafly's track record. They have used the best concepts of the flat foamie planes and combined them with some new and revolutionary ideas. The most notable break from flat foamie tradition were scale fuselages molded from light but strong EPS foam. This addition eliminated one of the big problems with flat foamies -- tail twisting during high G maneuvers. The awesome looks that come with the full fuselages were just icing on the cake. Also new was the included guarantee. Ultrafly is so confident in these great flyers that they will replace damaged components for a limited time after purchase, no questions! These feature were just some of the many highlights of this new offering, for the rest read on!

Kit Contents

The packaging was very well done and all the important information needed was depicted on the box sides.

The Depron wings and tail feathers were cleanly cut and popped right out of their sheets. The EPS fuselages were in perfect condition and were pleasingly scale in appearance. The only prep work required was to sand the few injection dots down. What little hardware that was needed was included and very usable. Last was the generous package of carbon fiber for stengthening the model and setting up the control linkages.

A flyer was included in each of the kits introducing Ultrafly's complete line of new brushless motor offerings including outrunners, geared inrunners, and the Typhoon 15 and 25 brushless ESC's. Ultrafly was also kind enough to provide me their new brushless offerings for this review, the Ultrafly B/06 brushless outrunner and the Ultrafly Typhoon 15 brushless ESC.

Assembly

Normally I just touch on highlights and points of interest in this section when reviewing advanced models such as these. However, the order of the instructions included with the two planes didn't make sense at some points. Also, a lot was left to the imagination of the builder, especially radio installation. Finally, the instructions used mostly pictures with hardly any written instructions. With all the different equipment available for this type of model and the problem of correctly translating oriental to English, I can understand why the manufacturer chose this path. In spite of my understanding, I still have to say the instructions were a little confusing.

Ultrafly claims only 2-4 hours are needed to assemble these models. The Outrage took considerably longer than this to complete. This was true mainly because I had to stop and think things through before and after each step in the instructions. The Furious went much quicker since I knew what I was doing the second time around. Still, 8 hours for assembly would be a more accurate estimate of how much time was needed. This is not unreasonable at all, though, and a week of leisurely evenings or two intense building sessions will get either model in the air. In light of these experiences, I present a brief pictorial of the order and manner in which I assembled my two models in the hopes readers can get to the flying field sooner with either of these great bipes.

Completion

All that was left to do at this point was create the linkages, install the battery, and balance the plane. The kit came with all the materials necessary to set up two different linkage types. One for beginners that used standard piano wire, control horns, and quick links, and the other for advanced builders that employed carbon fiber and shrink tubing. Of course, sticking with modeler tradition, I used a third way that is my preferred method.

The advanced instructions showed a short piece of CF rod embedded in the control surfaces to create control horns. I used the included control horns, but cut them way down to save weight and increase the throw potential.

I started with the most rearward CG suggested in the instructions at 85mm from the leading edge of the top wing. I was pleased to find that this put the battery in a very accessible place with plenty of room for adjustment forward and aft.

Finally several APC slowflyer props were tested with a watt meter to achieve a setup that drew between 10 - 12 amps static at wide open throttle. This current reading would ensure that the motor, ESC, and battery were within operating limits when hovering. The best props turned out to be either an APC SF 9 - 4.7 or a 10 - 3.8. Your mileage may vary according to your altitude. My city is approximately 3900 asl.

Flying

First Flights

The Outrage 3D was the first of the two off the building board. It looked so good sitting there on the bench that I just couldn't wait any longer. It was late evening and the wind was 5-10 with gusts approaching 15 mph. Not the best conditions for a first flight, so I flew anyway of course. I advanced the throttle slowly and after an initial humming chirp from the outrunner, the Outrage rolled forward on the pavement.

This was my first outrunner and I was amazed at how quiet it was while really moving the plane right along. Half throttle got the Outrage moving briskly and it tracked almost perfectly straight. I can't remember if the plane needed any rudder correction, but if it did, it wasn't much. The Outrage lifted off by itself and climbed at a 45 degree angle. I brought it around, leveled off, and rolled inverted.

A few bleeps of down trim got me hands off inverted flight. I rolled back to upright and noted that I also had hands off flight in this attitude, off to a great start! The rearward CG in the instructions was apparently the sweet spot for this plane. I put the aileron stick hard over and got about 3 rolls per second with only a moderate drop of the nose.

The wind gusts knocked the Outrage around a bit, but the control authority was so positive that it didn't give me the jitters at all, even though there were plane-hungry trees all around. I'm sorry, I just have to say it, it flew like it was on rails, (I apologize again for using that old tired one, but I feel so much better now).

I tried a knife edge and as expected the Outrage performed it with minimal rudder or throttle. In the wind it was impossible to divine coupling if any. I'd tempted fate enough at this point and lined up for a landing. I chopped the throttle and the Outrage didn't even seem to notice. Speed and attitude remained the same, it just started to slowly lose altitude. As it approached the ground I kicked the nose up and poured on the coals with the throttle stick. The Outrage slowed to a crawl and then touched down softly with about a foot of roll out. What a great first flight under less than ideal conditions.

Next off the building board was the Furious. Unfortunately the first flight with it was less than stellar. I tried a hover and it was ridiculously easy, but normal flight was very twitchy and nearly impossible to control. After a few passes I got to test Ultrafly's claim of durability for these two models. My first attempt at a harrier got me a snap to inverted and a quick dive into the ground before I knew what had happened.

Crash Resistance and Finding a New CG

Fearing the worst I retrieved the model. After close inspection the damage, what little there was, could be fixed in minutes. The built in wobbly adapter and o-ring setup had protected the prop, nose, and motor so no damage there. The Furious had cartwheeled after impact and the wings had sustained a good twist. The CF leading edges had done their job though. There was only a slight tear in the depron by the lower wing root and one control horn had popped off.

I really hadn't wanted to make such a test, but now that it had happened I was quite impressed with the model's crash resistance. Back at the work shop after gluing things back together I reflected on what might have caused the problem. The first thing to check was the CG. I confirmed from the instructions that the rear range was the same as the Outrage, (85mm from the top wing leading edge). I checked the plane and confirmed that I had it correct and it was indeed in the right spot.

I then thought about incidences, but the strut and fuselage design made it where there was only one way to assemble them. The signs were unmistakeable though, lots of down trim, twitchy, wants to snap roll, tucks in a dive, and finally almost hands off hover. All these were signs of a serious tail heavy condition. Fortunately there was plenty of room for adjustment and I started moving the pack forward an eighth inch at a time.

After several adjustments and subsequent test flights I achieved neutral stability with the Furious. The pack was well into the nose compartment and the CG was at 73mm from the leading edge, much further forward than the suggested range of 80 - 85mm. After more testing the best CG range was found to be between 73 - 78mm. Further aft than this and normal flight stability was nearly uncontrollable unless it was dead calm. Flight testing began in earnest after the CG issue was resolved.

3D / Pattern / Aerobatic Report Card

And now for the report card!<br>On a scale of 1-10,<br>1=poor 5=average 10=outstanding
And now for the report card!
On a scale of 1-10,
1=poor 5=average 10=outstanding
<big>FIRST UP IS THE OUTRAGE 3D</big>
FIRST UP IS THE OUTRAGE 3D
ManueverGrade Notes
Inside/Outside Loops 10 The Outrage performs loops in a precise manner with no tendency to roll out.
Aileron Rolls 7.5 Roll rate was 2-3 per second with some downward pitch after each roll. No tail twisting whatsoever due to full fuse!
Knife Edge 7.5 40% up elevator and 5% cross aileron compensation was required to overcome the pitch and roll coupling. This achieved close to a hands off K.E.
Inverted 10 With the correct CG hands off inverted and upright were achieved.
Uplines 9 Tracked very true with just a slight tendency to fall off.
Downlines 7 Tracked nice and straight, but the lower ailerons experienced some flutter. This could possibly be overcome by replacing the music wire connection to the upper ailerons with carbon fiber.
Spins 8 Spins were easy to enter and recover from. Flat spins were not achieved, but the slightly nose down spins were quite brisk.
Harrier 10 No wing rocking, no tip stalling during rudder turns with the nose up, a joy!
Inverted Harrier 7 Some wing rocking and tip stalling during rudder turns with the nose up.
Rolling Harrier n/a Since I am still learning this maneuver I was unable to perform the R.H. with the Outrage. However I believe that in the hands of a capable pilot it would be no problem.
High Alpha K.E. 9 The Outrage stabilizes quite a bit from standard K.E. to High Alpha K.E.
K.E. Loop 6 Some tendency to roll out during the maneuver, but possible.
K.E. Spin 7 Not enough rudder authority to keep the nose horizontal but still impressive.
Wall 7 Doesn't quite snap vertical, but doesn't fall off to either side either.
Hover 8 Fully capable, but does require some input to keep it in the groove.
Torque Roll n/a Since I'm still trying to master this maneuver, I wasn't able to perform a T.R. with the Outrage.
Waterfall 4 When waterfalls were attempted only very tight outside loops were achieved.
Blender10 Wow!! A screaming blur, very impressive to watch! The stiff tail really shines here.
OVERALL SCORE 7.93 Great all around flying machine!
Once again 1=poor 5=average 10=outstanding
Once again 1=poor 5=average 10=outstanding
<big>AND NOW THE FURIOUS 3D!
AND NOW THE FURIOUS 3D!
ManueverGrade Notes
Inside/Outside Loops 9 The Furious tracks nicely but does need an occasional correction during inside or outside loops.
Aileron Rolls 10 The Furious rolls slower than the Outrage, but it also keeps it's nose up better. In fact, in a slight breeze I could do rolling harriers with only small rudder inputs.
Knife Edge 4 There was so much coupling that I gave up trying transmitter compensations, there was just too much drag. I ended up flying the Furious through K.E.'s while it constantly hunted.
Inverted 10 With the correct CG hands off inverted and upright was achieved.
Uplines 7 The extra response from the larger control surfaces make it a little harder to keep straight, but still handled well vertically.
Downlines 9 Tracks well with no aileron flutter probably because it flies slower than the Outrage.
Spins 9 Went easily into and out of a spin. Flat spins were achieved probably due to the larger tail control surfaces.
Harrier 7 Straight lines OK with some wing rocking, rudder turns with nose up needed a fair amount of cross aileron to stop tip stalls.
Inverted Harrier 8 No wing rocking in a straight line, some tip stalling in nose high turns
Rolling Harrier 10 I'm just learning this maneuver, but I managed to do a few with the Furious in the face of a slight breeze so it must be pretty easy!
High Alpha K.E. 6 The Furious definitely starts calming down in a knife edge as the nose gets higher.
K.E. Loop 3 I was only able to complete this maneuver once without the Furious rolling or pitching out.
K.E. Spin 9 The nose wouldn't quite stay horizontal but.. Yippee!!
Wall 10 Snaps vertical and stays there! Antigravity generators ON!!
Hover 10 Torque Rollin' Hover Machine!!! Gets in the groove easily and wants to stay there. Move the CG back at the expense of normal flight stability and you get hands off hovering!
Torque Roll 10 Even though I haven't mastered the T.R. yet, I managed to pull off a couple before I knew what happened.
Waterfall 6 Would almost tumble true with but not quite. Required the CG to be back in the unstable zone.
Blender6 Spun bluringly fast, but didn't want to get the tail up for the flat spin.
OVERALL SCORE 7.94 3D master!

Adjusting CG's, Weight's and Other Stuff

The flight results discussed in the report card and seen in the video section were all recorded and based on a set of parameters to get a good comparison of both models under neutral conditions. The parameters were:

• Exact same radio gear
  • Same AUW
  • Same prop and motor
  • Same battery
  • Neutral CG

However, after I completed that section I did a little experimentation and that is what this section is about. First I tried different CG's. The Outrage was really tolerant of CG changes and didn't change it's characteristics much from neutral balancing. The Furious however changed drastically. Moving the CG aft quickly made 3D maneuvers seriously easy while at the same time making normal flight almost uncontrollable. Moving the CG forward progressively made normal flight better and high alpha harder. Trim to your taste.

Next was weight. I tried an ETEC 1200HD pack which didn't give me any more watts/lb, but doubled my flight time. The all up weight went up slightly over an ounce to 12-3/8 oz. The models still flew well, but the difference was definite. They lost much of their float and "floaty" maneuvers like harriers really suffered. I definitely preferred the lighter setup.

I was very weight conscious while building and the provided flight gear was very light, though not the lightest possible. However I still came in over the advertised weight by an ounce at 11.3oz. It is conceivable that the 10.2 ounce advertised weight could be achieved and I think it would be worth it to make it happen. It seems that the lower the wing loading the better these planes perform. Be warned though, sacrificing servo torque to save weight could have serious negative impact on flight performance because of the high G's these planes can pull! I do recommend the provided gear as it performed without a glitch throughout the flight testing for this article.

Last were different props. Larger than a 10" diameter prop seemed to have adverse effects on stability. Probably due to too small a difference between prop diameter and wingspan. Less than 9" and I just didn't have enough punch out from a hover. Smaller props of course boosted duration which was good since flights with the 640mah packs were a lot shorter than I was used to. 4 - 8 minute flights were typical depending on prop and flying style. 9 - 10 inch props with appropriate low pitch seemed to be best.

Are These For Beginners?

The Outrage 3D would make a great first 3D ship for the seasoned sport pilot. The Furious 3D could also be a first 3D plane, but is not quite as easy to fly as the Outrage. They are both very stable with no nasty surprises and you even get a limited time guarantee on crashed parts no less. A first in the industry!

Comparison... Which One Is Better?

So many great models, so little time and money! You say you can't afford to buy both and/or don't have the time? Which one to buy? This part of the article should help you decide.

Physical Differences

Both the Ultrafly Bipes are truly awesome looking models you'll be proud to own and fly, but there are some differences. The Outrage 3D really reminds of an Ultimate or other competition class 3D biplane. With its larger scale fuselage, traditional outline tail feathers, and rearward swept upper wing it looks just as great sitting on the ground as in the air. I have to give the Outrage 3D the nod on looks alone, but it was a tough call.

The Furious 3D on the other hand leans a little more toward "form follows function". The fuselage is quite a bit narrower with just enough room for flight gear. Wing area is down slightly, but control surfaces are much larger for that little extra during high alpha maneuvers. The smaller Furious fuselage does require a little more planning on gear placement during assembly than the roomy Outrage.

Flight Differences

The Outrage 3D really sliced through the air with pattern like performance. Maneuvers were crisp and precise with a feeling of exacting control. The Outrage definitely handled the wind quite well. Some bouncing about did occur as you would expect of 10-12 ounce plane, but this didn't lessen the feeling of control or cause the flying session to end.

The Furious 3D on the other hand was definitely the more 3D inclined of the two. It had more of a floaty anti-gravity feel in spite of having slightly less wing area at the same weight. Control response was up during all aspects of flight which was expected with the larger control surfaces. These attributes were great for 3D but made for liabilities when the wind kicked up. The Furious was not nearly as tolerant of the wind as the Outrage.

So which one is the plane for you? They are both excellent fliers and fully 3D capable, but if looks, patterns, and windy day flying are important to you, get the Outrage 3D. If high alpha is what you crave over all else, the Furious 3D is your plane. Either one will not disappoint.

Flight Video

Downloads

Evaluating the B/06 Outrunner and Typhoon Brushless Esc

The B/06 was my first outrunner and I'm sold! Leaving the gearboxes behind did not bring any tears to my eyes. The B/06 was quiet and powerful and performed flawlessly throughout the flight testing. Even though they are very light-weight, they are sturdily built and able to withstand hard nose ins, (I speak from personal experience!) The huge openings in the face of the spinning can made the B/06 dissipate heat efficiently. In fact the motor was never more than warm to the touch even at ambient temperatures of 100+ and drawing 80% of the max advertised current. I highly recommend this motor!

The Typhoon brushless ESC did an adequate job, but there were some problems. First was the fact there is no programmable LVC for lipoly cell counts. It automatically detects for nicad and nimh chemistry only. This made it necessary to be very careful not to overdischarge the 640mah lipoly's I was using. Since the LVC software in the Typhoon mistook the 3S pack for a 10 cell conventional pack, the cut off was well below the safe limit for lipoly's. The other problem was heat. The Typhoon grew seriously hot during flight testing. This was in spite of having the ESC in ample airflow at all times and being well under the advertised continuous current limit of 15amps. They never shut down or failed, but I was concerned. A mitigating factor though was that the ambient temperature was between 90 - 100 degrees during testing.

Conclusion

These new offerings from Ultrafly have raised the bar on value, performance, and looks. The full fuse looks great and eliminates tail twisting which opens the door to high G maneuvers. Two different planes that are each customizable means that any pilot can get exactly the flight performance they're looking for. And don't forget the price and guarantee. Buy with confidence knowing that your small investment is covered by a great replacement warranty!

Outrage 3D Hits

• Great Price
  • Part Replacement Warranty
  • Quick assembly
  • Excellent All Around Flyer
  • Awesome Looks with Full Fuselage
  • Durable!
  • High G Maneuvers Possible - No Tail Twisting

Misses

• Instructions Confusing
  • Some Extra CF Reinforcement necessary

Furious 3D Hits

• Great Price
  • Part Replacement Warranty
  • Quick assembly
  • 3D Machine
  • Good Looks with Full Fuselage
  • Durable!
  • High G Maneuvers Possible - No Tail Twisting
  • Customizable Flight Performance by Moving CG

Misses

• Instructions Confusing
  • Suggested CG Range Unflyable
  • Some Extra CF Reinforcement necessary
  • Battery Access not Explained

Discussion

Old Aug 22, 2005, 03:58 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
Good review. I have the Furious. A couple of things I did differently with the build:
Didn't run the aileron servo lead inside the wing support. Ran it outside and cut a small slot in the fuse to run the connector through. This will allow removing/replacing the aileron without destroying the wing support.
Installed all my electronics after gluing the fuse together. Wasn't that difficult, just means you have to put the RX near the opening in the bottom of the fuse.
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
Old Aug 23, 2005, 04:37 AM
Taipei Sung Shan, Taiwan
Joined Feb 2004
686 Posts
Hi Folks,

A little update on these 2 models. Originally, these 2 models are desinged for very experienced pilot. We don't want to desinate a servo location on the foam fuse of these birds because we don't know what power system you are going to use. Experienced pilot would know how to balance the model with the servo location. We are reworking the manual and will add in more explaination on how to balance the model with the servo.

We have received some feed back about certain possible errors! We will verify all those feed back and make update in the new manual.

Some people asked how the 10.2 oz is reached. That is not so difficult. follow this:
1. Don't put on those decals
2. Use 6g or less servo
3. Use light weight receiver that is less than 6g as well
4. Use 3S 650mAh 10-12C Lipo. Hovering only require 4.2-5.5amp which is about 50-55watt. maneuver requires 7 plus amp.
5. Use light weight wire on all ESC and motor
6. Use 42g or less motor!!
You will have a 10oz if you follows the above!

Another thing is the carbon structure enhancement around the wing area. Ultrafly provide parts guarantee because the model has a lot flexibility on the wing structure. We want to do it on purpose! It is not what we forgot to do or we want to lower down the cost. We don't put on those carbon structure becuase this will make the entire wing become flexible and be able to absorb impact when you crash it. If you put those carbon spar on, it would make the model very rigid. In most crashes, the carbon will penetrate the wing or fuselage. I would ask you guys to trust our design and this design is really strong enough to fly indoors and outdoors. When you feel that is not enough then add those spar on! Don't put them on that soon!

Sincerely,

Charlie
charlie2020 is offline Find More Posts by charlie2020
Old Aug 23, 2005, 08:20 AM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the input on the your great models. I was curious on how you got the models down to 10oz so I appreciate your input here. I did almost everything you suggested to keep the models light. What was different on mine were:

I used the decals

my servos were 8 gram instead of 6

my receiver was 8 grams

the Ultrafly ESC wires were way heavier than needed, but I wasn't going modify them from factory.

These things probably would have saved half an ounce so that's getting closer. I have to agree with you that these biplanes are very crash resistant! I slammed the Furious in several times trying to dial in the CG. The fuselage was super tough, the propsaver setup saved the prop and motor every time, and the wings twisted and sprung back instead of breaking. The only places I felt needed extra support were the horizontal stabilizer and the wing struts.

Great models for sure!
Jim Walker is offline Find More Posts by Jim Walker
Old Aug 23, 2005, 11:34 AM
Taipei Sung Shan, Taiwan
Joined Feb 2004
686 Posts
Hi Jim,

I should thank you for your great review in my first post! Forgive me for not doing that in time. I am very happy to see your review and know you really have fun with these birds. We also welcome your feed back and all comments. As I have said in other thread, we really appreciate your feed back because:
[1] We are so far from your market. We can hardly pitch the right design without your feed back. All the like and dislike will help us choose the right model and right design to satisfy all the customers.
[2] We are not God and just normal human to create these models. There are always mistakes in the production and R&D process. Believe me, we have do our best to correct those problems before we put it into the market but... we always found new errors after it is in the market. Frustrated! But those errors are getting less and less. All these changes have to contribute to every RC lovers that help us know what is wrong with the kit.
[3] We truely believe a review from a third party should point out the fun and advantage of the product as well as the problem and weakness. Or it would loose the trust and confidence of its readers. Please keep doing this! We welcome this kind of review and fully support it!!

At last, I wish you a very happy flying season with all those flying models around you and your family! God I love this Hobby and wish every single one in the world share the same passion and enjoyment with RC model like I do!

I think you must be sharing the same happy thought as I do!

Charlie

PS. I didn't use Ultrafly's ESC on these 2 birds because they are too heavy! I will forgive myself on not supporting my own brand stuff! Tell you a secret : A new light weight stuff is coming very soon!
charlie2020 is offline Find More Posts by charlie2020
Old Aug 24, 2005, 02:02 PM
Pampa Texas
Joined Feb 2005
123 Posts
Hey Charlie,
I have both the Furious and the Outrage and I love these planes!!! I also have the B/06/10 outrunner. Great little outrunner. I have two other outrunners from other manufacturers and I must say that yours is the quietest and strongest, (I know this because I crashed my Outrage NOSE FIRST into the asphalt and the motor survived). By crashing my Outrage I also tested your "No Worries" guarantee.I sent the plane via UPS to Hobby Services right before I went on vacation and almost as soon as I got back I had a new one!!! Thanks for a great looking and flying plane that I don't have to worry about being fragile.
Thank you,
Steve
WWI Ace is offline Find More Posts by WWI Ace
Old Aug 14, 2006, 09:28 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2 Posts
It will take a beating!

I was just out flying my Furious 3D for only the second time and I drove it in to the ground. (Pulled instead of pushed while inverted!) 2 small cracks in the wing and a stressed prop. That was it! Quite the design! There are a few things that confused me in the assembly instructions and I have to admit that I thought the recommended +50 expo settings were a typo. I gradually went from -40 to +50 and was amazed that I could still fly this thing and how incredibly responsive it was. I am grateful for this web site and for Charlie's personal touch on this site showing me that he really cares about his customers! Thanks Charlie! You have made me an Ultrafly junkie! Please keep up the great work!
MukRadio is offline Find More Posts by MukRadio
Old Mar 04, 2007, 02:51 PM
Foamphobic
Laguna Beach, Ca
Joined Dec 2003
416 Posts
Hi all,
Will the Furious work still OK with the following:

Rimfire 22M 1000kv Outrunner
CC 18 amp ESC
3 TP 9 gms servos
1000 amp 3s lipos
GWS 4 ch receiver

I know it's not the idea setup but it's all I have for it right now.

Thanks
doublesixes is offline Find More Posts by doublesixes
Old Mar 24, 2007, 12:40 PM
Garden Grove, California, United States
Joined Apr 2004
552 Posts
I have the Outrage myself.
I had an in flight ejection of the top wing during a high-G manuver. At first I thought of adding struts to stiffen things up, but instesd opted to add a couple of short pieces of carbon from the top of the fuse up to the leading edge - kind of like on a real Pitts Bi-plane. That way I kept the flexibilty of the wing structure, and didn't add too much extra weight.
This is a wonderful Bipe!

(3) D4.7 servos
Berg microstamp receiver
CC P10 ESC
Etec 700ma 3-cell
AXI 2208-34
APC 10x3.8
Carbon control rods

AUW 10.3 oz
My dog chases it for about 14 - minutes
cham is offline Find More Posts by cham
Old Apr 06, 2007, 09:19 AM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,162 Posts
Hextronic 24g motor?

Has anybody tried using "Hextronic' 24g wonder " (https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=2069) in Furious 3D?

(Update: I guess I was the first..)

Hextronic 24 g. "blue wonder" on a stick mount, APS SF 9x4.7
Thunderbird 9A
2 Hextronic 500 servos (elevator, rudder)
1 Hitec HS55 (ailerons)
Polyquest "20" 400 mah
Berg 4 channel

All stickers, 3x1 mm carbon fibre along both edges, both wings, 5x0.5 carbon fibre along struts, slightly larger wheels.

10 oz AUW. Could get down to 9.5 oz off easily (solder motor wires to ESC directly, shorten some wires, thinner wires on HXT servos, no stickers). Could probably go down to 9oz with some effort (lighter servos, thin CF control rods). The motor pulls about 15 oz with 9x4.7. I may go down to GWS 8x4 (13 oz trust @6-7A) to increase flight time.
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg
Last edited by nsg; Apr 22, 2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old May 09, 2007, 01:04 PM
Joined Dec 2002
434 Posts
Just curious if anybody has tried the eflite park 370 outrunner on one of these, and if so, how did it work?
Dadzilla-5 is offline Find More Posts by Dadzilla-5
Old Aug 03, 2007, 08:42 AM
Joined Jul 2007
1 Posts
Charlie 2020, are you still out there? Have a few questions for anyone that can answer them. How can I get an an outrage, its 08-2007 USA and everyone shows it as "discontinued". Called the number Tower Hobbies gave me and they said its a distributor change problem and the plane is not discontinued. So, where and when can I get one? Or, what is a good replacement? Their new Vivi is too big for area, need bipe under 30". Looked at the Flatouts though heard too many bad stories. Thanks for any help.
The Whip is offline Find More Posts by The Whip
Old Oct 03, 2007, 07:37 PM
It's just a speck in the air.
Joined Feb 2007
24 Posts
where to find outrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Whip
Charlie 2020, are you still out there? Have a few questions for anyone that can answer them. How can I get an an outrage, its 08-2007 USA and everyone shows it as "discontinued". Called the number Tower Hobbies gave me and they said its a distributor change problem and the plane is not discontinued. So, where and when can I get one? Or, what is a good replacement? Their new Vivi is too big for area, need bipe under 30". Looked at the Flatouts though heard too many bad stories. Thanks for any help.

There are two hobby shops in florence, KY that still have this model in stock. Email for location if interested.
JB Slick is offline Find More Posts by JB Slick
Old Sep 03, 2008, 04:39 AM
Joined May 2008
3 Posts
I'm a proud owner of the Outrage 3D and think it's a great machine. I just want to add some of my own experience of this plane. As I can judge from the above discussion, my setup for this plane came out a bit to heavy, but I can still perform all the different manouvers and get appr. 10-15 min of flying. The heaviest LiPO I use weighs in at 116 grams (1500mah). The effects of this is that, as Jim mentioned, you loose that "floaty" feeling and straight flight needs more throttle (I recommend being outdoor flying).
In addition, I used the standard piano wire for all the linkage. And a tip for future winter flying. I've made skiis out of a plastic bottle for soda drinks. Use the bottle neck as the front of the ski. Then you put two ribs of depron on each side of the landing rod.

My setup

Frio 10 64g
3x servos 9g
Receiver 10g
ESC 22g
Prop 10x4.7 (flies a lot better with this one than a 9x6)
petrosask is offline Find More Posts by petrosask
Old Jan 05, 2009, 07:02 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Just curious - anyone have the CG location for this bird? Just wound up with one and I'm trying to find the CG..

Thanks..

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram