15,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar
Anyone built a Cuda ? Experiences ?

I have a kit . . .

Have flown simular S8E models - gives much better heigths than the Estes T-25

Mike
I have built 4 Cudas.

Given today's radio gear, the pod is way over sized. I also found the pod to be a bit weak, and on my last/current Cuda I did away with the pod completly. I made it a 1 piece model where the servos are in the wing root and the boom went through the wing. Rx and battery are in the engine tube with a balsa nose cone on the front.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Aug 22, 2005, 03:35 PM
Joined Mar 2004
17 Posts
Modified CUDA

Hi ,

Got any pictures of the modified CUDA ?

Comments regarding launch - trimming ?

Mike
Polar is offline Find More Posts by Polar
Old Aug 22, 2005, 03:44 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,322 Posts
I'll have to take a picture of that Cuda sometime. I call it "Cuda Ray", because I built it Stingray 1 style. It has not been flown since 2002.

Trim comments, start out with C60s for your first flights and then move up on from there. A C6 will give you a good opertunity to get the trims sorted out without such a long burn that you can get into trouble early on. Usually I have a bit of down elevator mixed in for launch. I also boost Cudas swith the tower at about a 80 or 70 degree angle.

Ryan
Old Aug 25, 2005, 05:30 PM
SCAMMERS WELCOME!!!!!!!!!
Kent, WA
Joined Dec 2003
2,796 Posts
where do you get the "cudas"???
trashmanf is offline Find More Posts by trashmanf
Old Aug 25, 2005, 05:39 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanf
where do you get the "cudas"???
The Cuda has been out of production for some time. Try Ebay. or Rocketry online.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 12:20 AM
Columbus, MS, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,291 Posts
Much Stronger 'Cuda Pods

Polar,

I just did a rebuild of my 'Cuda's pod earlier this summer for the S8E/P flyoffs near Cinncie in early Aug. I'd flown two other versions of the pod.. The stock one and a slightly downsized lightened one and found both wanting in strength (even with .6oz glass for the finish), as Ryan said. I set this one up to withstand S8E/P spot-dork landings and it has proven to be much more durable and able to take 'intentional' landings (or unintentional versions of the same) with ease while weighing just a few grams more.

Here's what I did:

1. Made the pod side from 1/20" balsa and basswood. I used the basswood for the bottom part of the fuselage sides up to even with the top of the CF boom as viewed from the side.

2. Make the pods only 1/2" wide by putting the servos one ahead of the other instead of side-by-side as in the stock Cuda. I kept one servo behind the wing mounting bulkhead and one ahead of it. This works well with modern small gear... And I'm not even using exotic expensive gear, just plain old 4.7 gr servos and small park-flier-type receivers (test for sufficient range first!).

3. Cut the fuselage sides to the full side-outline of the pod side-profile shape and glue them onto the sides of the 1/2" x 3/8" top/bottom/nose pieces instead of butt-gluing the top and bottom pieces to the top and bottom edges of the sides. This is a CRITICAL part of making the pods stronger!

4. Put a good bulkhead made of balsa ply (2 cross-grained layers of 1/20" balsa) at the LE of the wing. Bring the rear edges together as on the original pod with the elliptical cutout for the boom. After gluing in the boom, fill in between the sides of the boom and the insides of the pod with 1/8" balsa wedges.

5. Fit the rocket tube and put some balsa wedges on the front of the tube so you can fare it into the pod (since the rocket motor tube is now wider than the pod!). Then shape the pod to a rounded, streamlined shape. Cut the hatch out of the bottom instead of the top and make it as short as possible while still allowing you to fit the radio gear in. Don't cut the fuselage sides to make the hatch, just cut the 1/2" x 3/8" across the front and rear of the hatch opening and then slice between the hatch sides and the fuselage sides to cut it loose. Then after cutting out the hatch, hollow the hatch, tops, bottoms, and noses as much as possible to about 1/8" thich with a Dremel and extension through the hatch opening.

6. Finish the pods after shaping with a wrap of .75 oz glass cloth applied with foam-friendly CA... One layer on one side overlapping across the edges
to the other side, then a layer on the other side overlapping back so the top/bottom/nose have two layers of this glass cloth. When applying, use
plain tissues (Kleenex) to rub the glass cloth down onto the wood after applying the CA... This will absorb the extra CA and keep things light. Apply the CA in about 1 square inch areas at a time. Lightly sand, apply another coat of CA, sand again, then finish with a couple of coats of thinned dope... I used clear, but colored would be ok. Also I put a small doubler of unidirectional CF on the outside of the pod extending about 1" fore and aft of the wing mount bulkhead for a little more strength before applying the glass cloth.

All of the pods that I built this way have withstood nose-in landings (some arrivals) that would have shattered my stock Cuda pod. I felt comfortable
enough in the strength of the construction to let several non-expert pilots fly them (and land/arrival them) at the RC-RG/BG champs... And they survived
with no damage, even after a few rough arrivals.

Also, I prefer this setup for a sport or mild competition model to the 'build-the-longer-CF-tube-into-the-wing-center-section' of the Stingrays because they come apart more for easier transport and storage. Also the RC gear is more accessable in the pod than when you build the servos into the wing roots as in most of the Stingrays.

Here’s a couple of pix of a pod using that same construction for a slightly smaller RCRG. I'll try to get pix of my 'Cuda pod later this week.

Greg in Minneapolis
gstew is offline Find More Posts by gstew
Last edited by gstew; Sep 20, 2005 at 03:26 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 03:00 AM
Joined Mar 2004
17 Posts
Good tip for modfications to the CUDA

Hi ,

Still got one CUDA NIB - Actually I was thinking of just let it go as I have got hold of a couple of newer S8E models from E-Europe.

Your modifications seems to make the CUDA a good training / leisure plane.

I see that you find ordinary 4.7 gr servos good enough - have always spendt a lot of $$$$ because i thought they was not good enough ......

Seems that I have to open my CUDA kit and build it

What kind of bty do you use ?
Old Sep 20, 2005, 03:24 AM
Columbus, MS, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,291 Posts
I'm glad to be of service!

I haven't tried a lot of different 4.7gr servos, but the Dymond D47's worked well on several of my ships and some others at the flyoffs. These are also used in the TabooGT DLG... it's a serious competition DLG, they can't be too bad if they are used there. I can recommend these... you're on your own with any others.

I'm using 2s1p packs of small Kokam LiPos with a really tiny regulator from Balsa Products in my more-serious ships ('Cuda, Stingrays, RaveNines/Teen Angel 9RCs). On my less serious ships, I use small NiMH the same size as 50MaH NiCds.

You gotta share too... tell about the newer S8E models from E-Europe. Specs, Pix, Manufacturer, website, source, cost!

TIA!

Greg in Minneapolis
Old Sep 20, 2005, 04:18 PM
Joined Mar 2004
17 Posts
European S8E models

Hi ,

I am currently on vacation , but I'll provide some pictures and data from Europe when I return.

Mike

Oslo , Norway
Old Sep 20, 2005, 04:23 PM
Joined Mar 2004
17 Posts
RaveNines/Teen Angel 9RCs

RaveNines/Teen Angel 9RCs are these american produced ships ?

Any web page - pictures ?

Mike
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:49 PM
Columbus, MS, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,291 Posts
The RaveNine is a prototype of a group S8E project glider designed by Bob Parks. It's not in finished form yet... more to come.

The Teen Angel 9RC is my S8E/P that uses the wing from RaveNine, but with a different tail/pod/wing mount setup. I'll post pix of my fleet in one of the other threads later this week and you'll see the Teen Angel 9RC in that.

No official website pix on either, but if you go to here http://www.naramlive.com/ and look on day 2, there are several pix of RaveNine variant and of my Teen Angel 9RC. You can see them in rows 11-19. My Teen Angel 9RC is shown boosting in row 12 and I'm shown prepping it in row 14. The straight-winged gliders in these other rows are variants of the RaveNine. Bob's official versions have slightly different vertical tails, but otherwise look very similar to the ones shown.

The status of the RaveNine project is a bit hazy right now. I'm going to try to get it moving again... I'll keep you informed.

When it happens, if I do a Teen Angel variant, I'll publish details then.

Greg in Minneapolis

P.S. If you go to the videos for day 3 on the above website, the one taken from an aerobatic model plane is from my Cermark Banchee! A wild ride it was!
Last edited by gstew; Sep 21, 2005 at 12:24 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:15 PM
Columbus, MS, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,291 Posts
Here's the pix of my 'Cuda pod. Some I differences I noticed from what I wrote above:

1. The Uni-D CF patches are longer and wider than I indicated.

2. I also put a 2nd layer of .6oz glass cloth over the center 1/2 of the pod... you can just see the front edge of it in the side picture.

The two bottom pictures are angled to give a view of the front servo and the rear servo.

You can see the receiver through the bottom views. The dangling piece is the Balsa Products regulator. The LiPo fits just ahead of the receiver... I have to pull out the receiver to insert the battery.

I had to add about 3 grams of lead in the nose to balance it.

That's it!

Greg in Minneapolis
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:52 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
Ryan - I too would like to see pics of your modified Cuda.

And Greg, Looks good.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Oct 09, 2005, 11:12 AM
Columbus, MS, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,291 Posts
Polar...

Any info on those Eastern European kits?

Greg in Minneapolis