Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 21, 2005, 04:56 PM
Beware the trees!
ECG
Joined Jun 2005
62 Posts
Question
Looking for next bird.

I love doing touch and go's with my planes. I currently use the estarter for my pattern work and am looking for something a little more challenging. I am leaning twords the C-130, but I do not know how it flies. Most warbirds I have seen do not like to do repeated landings, so that kind of rules them out. Hopefully someone can enlighten me with a plane I didn't know about. Thanks!
Wickett is offline Find More Posts by Wickett
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2005, 05:06 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
If you love touch and go's you would really like a Sig Kadet EP42. It is by far the best landing plane I have ever flown. Easier to assemble than any GWS plane. The only bad thing about it is they only sell it with the motor and speed control, which is okay for smooth runways but it really needs a brushless for grass field operations.

Here's a thread about mine with some pics:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334702

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Aug 21, 2005, 08:50 PM
Plane dodger
Stratford Sikorsky, Connecticut, United States
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
How bout a Stevens Aero SaSQuirt with ailerons? Nice size, easy to assemble (I have a squirt and it took all of 2hours to build and a few to cover) and can fly on a $9 ferrite slug motor. This thing will do a flatspin landing and go if you can believe it...
Another great plane is a Vermont Belle 1300, a bit more money and equipment but a beauty of a flyer, Unbelievable speed envelope and very precise flyer. On a 3s2p pack you could fly for over 25 minutes, and thats with an Axi 2820-10.
NSP also has a great looking plane called a Viking that really looks nice.
MM also has some great kits, available for upgrades as your skills increase. The Dandy is one of them.

Killer
KillerAir is offline Find More Posts by KillerAir
Old Aug 21, 2005, 10:55 PM
Gamma
Newbury Park, CA
Joined Dec 2004
296 Posts
Check out Mountain Models. There has got to be something in there line for you. The kits are good, the plans are complete, and they fly has advertised. Nice people to do buisness with, too.

Gamma
Gamma is offline Find More Posts by Gamma
Old Aug 22, 2005, 01:30 PM
Beware the trees!
ECG
Joined Jun 2005
62 Posts
Thanks, I will look into them.
Wickett is offline Find More Posts by Wickett
Old Aug 22, 2005, 05:03 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickett
I love doing touch and go's with my planes. I currently use the estarter for my pattern work and am looking for something a little more challenging. I am leaning twords the C-130, but I do not know how it flies. Most warbirds I have seen do not like to do repeated landings, so that kind of rules them out. Hopefully someone can enlighten me with a plane I didn't know about. Thanks!
I've flown the C-130... It's not a screamer and would be tough/expensive to upgrade, however, on stock power it makes it around the pattern just fine and is straightforward to fly. It's surprisingly gentle, ROG's are a non event with excellent ground manners, Touch-N-Goes tend to hang the gear up when it rubbs on the fuselage... (unless you are silky smooth) CG was just fine using a 2S 1500 Apogee LiPo. I left the paint and stickers off mine to keep the weight under 1lb worried that it wouldn't fly in our thin air. Looks like I can get away with doing the Orange/White Coast Guard theme with minimal paint and stickers so as not to over pork the airframe.

Aerobatics: All sloppy but very dooable... point rolls, slow rolls, snaps, spins, stall turns... cubans, loops, inverted with lots of power and down elevator... does a wicked little push from inverted into a parachute until it gets back up on step and flies off.

Why a C130? Flies like a big trainer. Glide is reasonably good. Looks reasonably good when you stand 10' back even better at 20' Great fun to fly around in circles shooting tng's more fun to flex the wings and make the guys at the flying field cringe. I'm modding mine to hold a cold beverage so I guess you can say it will live up to the multi roll vehicle that the gov't had it pegged for.

Biggest disappointments: 1) It's foam... so lots of little nicks, scrapes, dents, nail marks, etc.... unless handled like a fragile egg.... 2) No little jumper men on hand to funnel out the back. 3) Needs to ship with a few micro JATO (Jet-Ex) bottles.

Fix the main gear by fiddling with the foam surrounding the wheels, and keep a handful of motors on hand to replace the stock ones as they wear and I think you'll find the C130 surprisingly fun to fly.

-Bill
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Aug 22, 2005, 05:05 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,368 Posts
Oh, and of all the GWS warbirds.. the trike gear on the C-130 (while you'll be limited to smooth surfaces) has the best ground handling of the bunch.
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Last edited by arenablimp; Aug 22, 2005 at 06:59 PM.