SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2002, 06:34 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,925 Posts
Red Baron 3D vs. Flying Corps

Has anyone used either of these flight sims of WWI?

I've recently downloaded RB3D demo and it is pretty good,... and I'm was planning on getting the full version,.. 'till I read some reviews that mentioned FC's better flight models and superior visual modeling of the different Allied and Axis planes.

So if you please, post some opines about these two sims. I'm leaning towards FC but RB3D isn't out of the running yet.

Thanks

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old May 04, 2002, 10:57 AM
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Sep 2001
21 Posts
flight Sims

Go to www.gamespot.com for reviews on both games. I've never played them but they were both considered great in their time. Have you ever tried European Air War? Thats a fine WW2 flight sim that supports Force Feedback.

-JiffySquid
JiffySquid is offline Find More Posts by JiffySquid
Old May 04, 2002, 11:24 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
My version of Flying Corps won't run in Win98.
It was a good simulator up until the upgrade.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old May 09, 2002, 09:26 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Looee,

I have both. Prefer Red Baron 3D, but Flying Corps has some benefits.

I'll see if I still have the CDROM for Flying Corps (I threw alot out a year ago). If you're interested, and I still have it I'd be glad to mail it to you.

I'll check and get back with you.

Don
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old May 10, 2002, 10:00 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Looee,

I got it. You want it? Get in touch.

Don
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Jun 08, 2003, 12:27 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,925 Posts
"bump" RB3D, some gripes, some hope on the horizon

Well I recieved Viper's copy of FCG last year, it was fun, but there is as Sparky mentioned, a CTD, (crash to desktop) that occurs whenever an enemy plane fireballs into the ground in a padlocked view mode. Some times when there are more than 5 planes rushing around in a view, and one gets hit, the game will out right lock up, requiring a reboot...(ppbbbbbtt!)

I've picked up a copy of RB3D from Ebay for 15 $ that is working fine so far, but I detest the flight modeling. The planes kinda, sorta fly like WWI fighters, yet they have way too much X and Z axis inertia, plus the dampening for the same is weird., I.E. the planes will stall, but it takes forever for the lift to reduce and the nose to drop. Say that you're at 400+ feet up in Flying Corp Gold and you stall with the spinning disabled, you get a sharp buffet with an immediate plunge with a good recovery at about ~200 feet.
Not so with RB3D, you're lucky if the tail is level with the ground when you pancake in, with no sign of recovery, most times you just slide tail first into the ground. Another beef is that the wings have way to much inertia in roll, you are constantly trying to yo-yo the wings to a steady state of bank when on someones six, also really annoying. It makes me wish there was expo for the joystick.

All is not lost though, as there seems to be a lot of RB3D fans out there that still love the game and are working towards fixing the FM and skins for the game, both in single player and online multi player mode. I don't have all the links but here is one for you to check out, http://www.swwisa.net/british.html, it's the download page for new skins and mods for RB3D, plus there is a ton of links for patches that promise to bring the game up to a better level of play. Esp. check out the Hell's Angel patch that Rens will have out soon. Go to the SWWISA home page and click on the RedBaron3d link on the left.

Just thought you'ld like to know..

Looee
Old Jul 11, 2004, 03:28 AM
CHICAGO
Joined Feb 2004
1,616 Posts
Red Baron Game Free Inside Pizza Box

check out the free version or Red Baron Game from inside the RB pizza box.
I played it just now and its a cool game + its free

here is a screen shot
supi7 is offline Find More Posts by supi7
Old Jul 14, 2004, 05:23 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,925 Posts
Hi supi7,

I'm not sure but that doesn't look like the original Sierra Dynamix game. To me at least.

Boy this thread has been well travelled..

I guess an update is due, since I'm still flying this ancient Glide based air combat sim. I found a new super patch from Promised Land, called Full Canvas Jacket. The simpatch is a redo of the original RedBaron 3D sim that adds some nice FM mods and better color corrected skins for the planes and scenery. It also has a better control panel with much more control of the nuts and bullets part of the actual flight and fighting scenarios. They say the AI for the enemy pilots in this patch is better , but the enemy Aces still seem pretty dumb sometimes.

BTW here's the website for FCJ, wich comes on a CD and just overlays the original CD, you still leave the RB3D CD in the CD-ROM, the patch loads from the hard drive. There is also a bit of support for nonglide cards and some links to websites the have some great glide emulators for free.

JTYLTK

Looee
Old Jul 17, 2004, 12:57 AM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
I've been flying RB II/3D since they came out; I think they're awsome, and about as real as it gets (especially with the community created mods).

The Promised Land is a super bit of software. I haven't bought Full Canvas Jacket, but I used to have his Promised Land patch (back when it was free) and I loved it.

The guy that created it, Kessler, was the commander of the online RB3D squad, JG1, back in the day. As you might imagine, alot of people have put alot of time into this game. If you look at what the original game was, and what it is now, it's just nuts.

It went from:

To:

That is just the graphics, the FM and other details have all had adjustments. Great piece of software
Wufnu is offline Find More Posts by Wufnu