HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:32 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
EPP 3D foamy type, Best on a windy day?

For flying on the real windy days, a plane needs lots of excess power, lots of control surface, some sort of stability and crash survive ability. What do you guys think is the best design for a 3D style EPP plane on a Real windy day?? Something that could just float there in 15 to 20 mph winds like a seagull!! Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:55 AM
USA, IN, Greenwood
Joined May 2002
342 Posts
I fly my FFF Edge( by GeneBond) with a cheap HiMaxx set up with out any concern about wind at all, never disappointed with it.
Mark
mcrabby311 is offline Find More Posts by mcrabby311
Old Aug 21, 2005, 11:37 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Yup, just make sure the top speed is about 1.5x the wind speed and have at it. On windy days, I set the cg farther forward for better penetration...

It's fun to harrier standing still and work on rolling harriers and such on steady-wind days...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Aug 21, 2005, 04:21 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,374 Posts
IMHO, it's not possible to do 'real' 3D in a 15-20 mph wind unless your stall speed is somewhere near the wind speed. Othwise as soon as you slow down to get the nose in the air, the plane is going to disappear downwind; so you end up flying more like a normal plane.
Hovering in place (like a seagull) isn't 'real' hovering as the wing is generating a lot of the lift. It's a lot of fun though (good for practicing inverted flight) and really shows up if your rolls aren't perfectly straight.

I'd suggest any of the popular 3D designs, built from thicker EPP than normal for extra strength and with more power than normal. If you can afford it, go bigger too (and more power!) If you can't afford to buy a new, larger power system, scale the design down a bit.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Aug 21, 2005, 05:48 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
I'm not trying to do any fancy 3D work on the real windy days. I'm just trying to find or make a plane that can be flown on real windy days. Like I said, lots of excess power and controlability. And I know I'm going to crash, I've had planes drop right out of the sky in half a second! Its just windy here almost all the time, so I've got to build stuff that deals with it. Thanks Guys, Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Aug 21, 2005, 10:45 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
For real wind, nothing beats a flying wing or a pocket rocket, like a pylon plane... Even sailplanes are fun!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond