HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:38 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
I thought I had read up enough to build my slow stick wing with zero dihedral but I guess not.... I should have inserted the carbon rods into the aluminum sleeves before bending them straight in my vice. I didn't and those sleeves with very little vice pressure are now no longer usable. I guess it's a rookie mistake.

Any other options to building the wing with zero dihedral and supplement the aluminum sleeves? I see sites selling after market sleeves that are straight bit any ideas I can make my self? I'm sick of waiting.... I tried drilling the center out if wooden dowels with my drill press but it seems impossible to drill a straight line through the center without getting off a bit. These kind of dumb mistakes really test my patience
SOOFLY is offline Find More Posts by SOOFLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:55 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,092 Posts
Local hobby shops sell the tubing. It's straight comes in a foot long piece, if I remember. I have some laying in the garage. I think 2 pieces were maybe a buck.
Bill0 is online now Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:04 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
Billo - thanks ill give my local hobby shop a call tomorrow... I'm not gonna get my hopes up though, I went today and they didn't even carry fiber glass cloth of any kind.

Do you think any of the larger home improvement stores would carry hollowed aluminum tubing?
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:51 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
I think I bought brass tubing that fit. I likely got it from Ace hardware.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:59 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
Carlosti - thanks! Ace is right by my house I'll go see what they got.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:01 AM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
Anybody found fiberglass cloth in a lite enough type to use on RC wings at a craft store or home improvement store? Home Depot and Lowes sale fiberglass cloth but it says its for automotive and doesn't list a weight. Plus it feels heavy. I'm trying to look around town before I purchase online. Thank you for everyone's help. This site is great
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:34 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOOFLY View Post
Any other options to building the wing with zero dihedral and supplement the aluminum sleeves?
If I were in your position, I'd ditch the aluminum sleeves altogether, and the stock fiberglass rods. You'd be better off running a 3mm or 4mm carbon fiber tube the full length of the LE and another 1-piece CF spar at the TE. A wing without dihedral no longer needs that center joint. The CF tubes will provide more rigidity than the stock rods, too. For extra insurance, tape a similar spar on bottom of wing at the CG.

Your LHS should have the CF tubes, and they often stock lightweight fiberglass cloth so check the next nearest hobby shop for that. But lightweight cloth is readily available online.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Last edited by phoam; Dec 02, 2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:30 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,184 Posts
Quote:
I thought I had read up enough to build my slow stick wing with zero dihedral but I guess not.... I should have inserted the carbon rods into the aluminum sleeves before bending them straight in my vice. I didn't and those sleeves with very little vice pressure are now no longer usable. I guess it's a rookie mistake.

Any other options to building the wing with zero dihedral and supplement the aluminum sleeves? I see sites selling after market sleeves that are straight bit any ideas I can make my self? I'm sick of waiting.... I tried drilling the center out if wooden dowels with my drill press but it seems impossible to drill a straight line through the center without getting off a bit. These kind of dumb mistakes really test my patience
Unless I'm missing something here, if you're making the wing to have zero dihedral, then why do you need sleeves at all? Just afix a long CF rod the length of the wing's LE and TE. Since you're going to have to spend money replacing the sleeves, instead, spend it of CF rods and you'll be golden!
Moonbeam is online now Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:50 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Unless I'm missing something here, if you're making the wing to have zero dihedral, then why do you need sleeves at all? Just afix a long CF rod the length of the wing's LE and TE. Since you're going to have to spend money replacing the sleeves, instead, spend it of CF rods and you'll be golden!
No reason to do that unless one wants to use the existing rods, a brass tube is cheaper than the carbon rods.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:54 AM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
I hadn't thought of buying a new full length carbon rod for the wing. Really I guess i only need one new rod for the leading edge because the stock carbon rods that were originally intended for one side of the LE could be used for the full length of the TE.

Since I'm taking the extra time to add ailerons and to glass the wing, i guess it makes sense to eliminate the aluminum joiner while I'm at it.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
No reason to do that unless one wants to use the existing rods, a brass tube is cheaper than the carbon rods.
Also gives the rubber bands something to ride on other than the wing and carbon fiber rod.
Bill0 is online now Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:53 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,260 Posts
Quote:
I hadn't thought of buying a new full length carbon rod for the wing.
I guess it really depends how you fly your Stick, but I've read reports that some folks get "wing flutter" using the stock fiberglass rods, so I just never used them.

CF tubes resist flexing even more than solid CF rods so they're great for wing spars.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:40 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
I guess it really depends how you fly your Stick, but I've read reports that some folks get "wing flutter" using the stock fiberglass rods, so I just never used them.
Only at ludicrous speed... it's a SLOW Stick. The wings will flutter when you get going too fast, and that's just the plane telling you it's going too fast. It isn't a problem, just slow down
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:25 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,260 Posts
For the most part, you're right, but some of us like to hot rod our Slow Sticks. and it sounds like he might too, with the flat wing and ailerons.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:33 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
some of us like to hot rod our Slow Sticks.
Yeah I know... drives me nuts... blasphemers!
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501