Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:44 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,292 Posts
On mine it didn't, but I'm no expert. Mine was even shorter than the stock 1000mm length though. RR's set-up looks to have more or less the same placement of everything, though. Motor, battery, wings, servos, tail. I think it would be worth the weight to move the tail further back, or the servos way forward. I had LOTS of pitch, and very little yaw, leading to almost no banking while trying to turn. After putting mine to rest, I came to the conclusion that with my set-up, and RR's current config, what you end up with is more or less an R/C arrow. Weight way out front, and fins out back to stabilize it. That's what makes an arrow fly true. Almost exactly opposite of what most people try to build into a plane.

With your tail wheel set-up, you may also notice a benefit in turns if you do an inverted V-tail. On a normal V-tail, there is a rolling force that works counter to the yawing force. With an inverted V-tail, the twist might help to bank the plane as it yaws.
carlsoti is online now Find More Posts by carlsoti
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor_Racer View Post
Is it that crazy?? right now to get it to balance my trailing edge of the wing is about 4 inches from my v-tail
You will never solve your problem by extending the tail. That is just putting more weight in the rear on a very long momemt arm.
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:24 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,229 Posts
He needs to extend the front of the plane so that he can slide the wing further forward.

Btw, I believe the stock SS fuse length is 800mm. 600mm and 200mm (for the 2-piece) combined for a total of 800mm
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,292 Posts
My mistake. I thought it was 800 and 200. Whtever the length of the longer tube, mine was shorter than that. As far as which end to extend...

Three rights DO make a left.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:33 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,044 Posts
There is a 1000 mm one piece available. Works pretty good if ya want to hang a bunch of stuff on it.
Bill0 is offline Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
When you replaced everything on it? Lol let's face it, you didn't modify your Slow Stick NPS parts, you outright replaced them, all of 'em. What you have is simply known as an SSX, not to be confused with a GWS SS.
It does not matter yo me what you choose to call it. It is still a modified Slow Stick. If you prefer something more traditional here is another one that I just completed, It is the same build configuration except with beefed up foam wings and tail feathers.
Last edited by kaptondave; Dec 01, 2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,479 Posts
Razer_Racer: Part of your CG problem may be your custom tail wheel. It looks way heavier than the stock one. Also, what material is your V-tail made with? If you used something heavier than the stock foam tail material that would contribute to the problem.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:17 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,229 Posts
Nice one Dave. What's the length on that one's fuse? Looks kinda short coupled as well. Has it flown yet?

Razor's short coupled issue primarily stems from having the pusher motor/motor mount/prop way behind the CG, whereas traditionally that weight would be way forward of the CG.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:08 AM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,135 Posts
Don't forget that the stock control horns have backing plates that are directional like zip ties. I still secured mine with a little epoxy.
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:34 AM
Joined Jun 2008
5,292 Posts
Wow, I didn't even notice the pusher set-up on that one. I thought it was just waiting for the motor to be added.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:58 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
Nice one Dave. What's the length on that one's fuse? Looks kinda short coupled as well. Has it flown yet?

Razor's short coupled issue primarily stems from having the pusher motor/motor mount/prop way behind the CG, whereas traditionally that weight would be way forward of the CG.
The stick is the standard 800 mm, same as with the yellow one. The reason the wing is set back is that the tail feathers are heavier than stock due to being glassed and having plywood mounting plates that make it tail-heavy relative to the stock configuration.

Razor did not build a pusher.** His photos show a standard tractor without the motor. His heavy tail assembly and his aft-mounted servos add weight to the the tail, like mine. I asked earlier what the V-tail is made from but see now that it is Coroplast, which is heavy stuff compared to the stock foam. I have learned the hard way that adding weight to the tail is serious business because of the moment arm.

** On Edit: OK I was looking at the wrong photo. I see the pusher setup in he other one.
Last edited by kaptondave; Dec 01, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:08 AM
Actively makin humans obsolete
Northern Virginia
Joined Jul 2007
773 Posts
My setup is going to be a pusher (motor is mounted in those pictures), the reasoning is for a camcorder mount I'm going to laser cut and put in between the front landing gear.

But anyways, on an earlier stick I've used the same pusher mount and needed the two long booms because even if the battery is mounted far at the nose and I used the stock light tail setup, the wing was too far towards the rear. The two long booms instead of one long and one short means there's a little more weight, but a lot more space between the wing and the tail section so pitch-wise it's more stable
Razor_Racer is offline Find More Posts by Razor_Racer
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:31 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
Wow, I didn't even notice the pusher set-up on that one. I thought it was just waiting for the motor to be added.
Haha, I did too. Initially I almost inquired if he tried to balance it while the motor was off. Then I took a closer look.

Razor, do you have the camcorder already? Maybe that will make for enough nose weight to shift the wing forward a few inches.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:46 PM
ARMY Flyer
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
First Night Flight with 3 glow sticks it was sweet i cant wait too get some lights when i get home and do it
Kafie is offline Find More Posts by Kafie
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:58 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafie View Post
First Night Flight with 3 glow sticks it was sweet i cant wait too get some lights when i get home and do it
Yeah the Slow Stick is as near to the perfect night plane as you can get... time to post this again
All About LEDs for RC Night Flying (23 min 52 sec)

Making your own LEDs takes work, but the results are worth it... I think the light strips also tempt you to go overboard (the foamy bomber was so bright it made my eyes water and I couldn't fly it.)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501