SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,311 Posts
Was linked here from another thread

Thought it might be helpful to know how to reinforce a stock tail assembly in a way that is stronger, lighter, and freer than any vert stab reinforcement I've ever seen

Cut six inches off spare ss metal pushrod, on the z bend side

Drill hole through rear fuse

Insert z bend, epoxy into hole, tape rest of wire up against surface of tail

Unbelievably strong, enjoy, its all you need
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:33 PM
Actively makin humans obsolete
Northern Virginia
Joined Jul 2007
773 Posts
My coroplast tail setup! It can take quite a beating. V-tail plywood mounts from radicalrc
Razor_Racer is offline Find More Posts by Razor_Racer
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:49 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Where does it say this is only for beginners? I have been flying for several years and still consider the Slow Stick as a favorite, but mod them to the extreme. Mods are not needed but sure add to the enjoyment. Here is one of mine. Upgraded airframe with CF stick and landing gear, upgraded motor, Millennium SSX wing and tail feathers, lots of Radical RC goodies.
That contraption isn't a SlowStick. Some kind of parkflyer maybe?
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
That contraption isn't a SlowStick.
Really? It started out as a Slow Stick NPS kit. All of the mods other than the CF gear struts use parts that are designed and marketed by Millennium RC and Radical RC specifically for the purpose of modifying and upgrading the Slow Stick. At what point did it cease to be a Slow Stick? What are the rules that must be followed?
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Nov 30, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Jan 2007
563 Posts
Quote:
Really? It started out as a Slow Stick NPS kit. All of the mods other than the CF gear struts use parts that are designed and marketed by Millennium RC and Radical RC specifically for the purpose of modifying and upgrading the Slow Stick. At what point did it cease to be a Slow Stick? What are the rules that must be followed, and who makes them?
+1 Dave

I am as guilty as any of not building a "pure" slow stick.

Anton
bubbleman is offline Find More Posts by bubbleman
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:26 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,112 Posts
Whats a pure stick? I have three of them and they are all modded. Stock WAS fun, modded they are really fun.
Bill0 is online now Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:26 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Well, it does have a stick.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:25 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,308 Posts
kaptondave's plane is most certainly a "stick." It's probably not slow, though. An evolution on a design, for certain. The SSX wings can be built with dihedral, and the flapperons can be slightly cambered (think tiny bit of flap) to make them fly more like an original slow stick, and still be much more sporty than it, too.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:17 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,279 Posts
Quote:
At what point did it cease to be a Slow Stick?
When you replaced everything on it? Lol let's face it, you didn't modify your Slow Stick NPS parts, you outright replaced them, all of 'em. What you have is simply known as an SSX, not to be confused with a GWS SS.

There is a whole thread on them in the Millennium vendor forum.

I really need to get around to building my Micro SSXs I got in 2010
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:27 PM
Northern Virginia
Joined Jul 2007
773 Posts
I made landing gear today! For the tail I laser cut a tail wheel bracket. For the front gear I modified some of the same landing skids for quads.

Currently waiting for another 800mm long boom section because the stock 800+200 is too short for this beast!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:29 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,056 Posts
Quote:
Not wrong, but I should have said "as effective". Of course ailerons will work on a wing with dihedral. Look at a Piper Cherokee for example, which has a moderate amount (about 6 degrees) of dihedral. However, dihedral tends to make the wing self-leveling, which is why it is used on trainer RC airplanes such as the SS. A flat wing with ailerons tends to hold a bank angle, but dihedral works against that.

I have three SSs, one having a flat wing with ailerons and two with the standard 12 degree dihedral with no ailerons. All three fly nicely but the aileron ship is crisper.
Fair enough. metalwizard, there is no war here.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:31 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor_Racer View Post
Currently waiting for another 800mm long boom section because the stock 800+200 is too short for this beast!
You're aiming for a 1600mm total length?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:32 PM
Northern Virginia
Joined Jul 2007
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
You're aiming for a 1600mm total length?
Is it that crazy?? right now to get it to balance my trailing edge of the wing is about 4 inches from my v-tail
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:50 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,279 Posts
Ha, well, I'm not implying that it won't work, but you might not need the full length of that second 800mm fuse to get it to balance OK. Heck, maybe the full length would do a pusher some good anyway. Alternatively, you can use a heavier batt for the nose weight. Or just stick a camera on the nose.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:55 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,056 Posts
Maybe carlsoti will chime in here, but I don't think short coupling with a V- tail works very well.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H