HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
941 Posts
Here is a good video of putting a stock slow stick together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7CHsrHzF1M
Bill0 is offline Find More Posts by Bill0
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:55 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwizard View Post
thanks guys great info. that will get me in the ballpark.

the instructions say 95 to 105 mm for the CG so I am good to go there (yeah about 4"+ ) I just wondered where to put the wing.

I saw a website that has some pretty cool stick hop ups.. including a steering tail dragger wheel and some other plastic mounts to move the front gear forward.

With all the dihedral this thing has is it worth it to add ailerons to it?? I mean since the wing is already set up for it there must be some reason to have them LOL
Mark the wing at the CG you want then move the wing back and forth with everything installed until it balances on the marks. Sounds strange but that's how it works.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:17 PM
ARMY Flyer
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
i just added ailerons to mine it has about 6 degrees of dihedral so we will see how they do i tried my hand and night flying today with a few lights i scavenged off of broke heli's and the rear mount that had been cracked in a crash a week or so ago ( Dont Let the Apache pilots fly your plane haha any ways the glue came off and then the wing came off so it wasn't a very long flight but i think i got it fixed with a make shift mount out of foam so we will try it out tomorrow i will try to post some pics of my steerable tail wheel i made and the ailerons and mounts

Happy thanksgiving from all of us 211th guys over here in Afghanistan
and happy flying

Quote:
thanks guys great info. that will get me in the ballpark.

the instructions say 95 to 105 mm for the CG so I am good to go there (yeah about 4"+ ) I just wondered where to put the wing.

I saw a website that has some pretty cool stick hop ups.. including a steering tail dragger wheel and some other plastic mounts to move the front gear forward.

With all the dihedral this thing has is it worth it to add ailerons to it?? I mean since the wing is already set up for it there must be some reason to have them LOL
Kafie is offline Find More Posts by Kafie
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,094 Posts
Quote:
For ailerons to be effective you need to take out most or all of the dihedral. It is best to do that during the build, before you glue the aluminum tubes and fiberglass/cf wing stiffeners. It is pretty easy to bend the aluminum tubes to the desired angle. Put one side in a vise and slide a drill bit into the other side to use as a lever for bending. The stock dihedral is 12 degrees. With that if you hold one side of the completed wing flat on a table the other side will be about 4 inches off the table at he point where the straight part of the leading edge ends and the tip section begins. Therefore 6 degrees would be 2 inches, 3 degrees 1 inch, etc.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:23 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
For ailerons to be effective you need to take out most or all of the dihedral. It is best to do that during the build, before you glue the aluminum tubes and fiberglass/cf wing stiffeners. It is pretty easy to bend the aluminum tubes to the desired angle. Put one side in a vise and slide a drill bit into the other side to use as a lever for bending. The stock dihedral is 12 degrees. With that if you hold one side of the completed wing flat on a table the other side will be about 4 inches off the table at he point where the straight part of the leading edge ends and the tip section begins. Therefore 6 degrees would be 2 inches, 3 degrees 1 inch, etc.
I like my SS with ailerons on the stock dihedral wing.

However my wing is clipped back to the first rib with aileron differential set at the servo horns and some aileron/rudder mix in the Tx.

I guess all that may make some difference.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:45 PM
United States, UT, Hurricane
Joined Aug 2012
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill0 View Post
I tried ailerons with all the dihedral and they weren't that good. Flatten out the wing a little and then they are very responsive. Heads up rc, radical rc and millennium rc are great sites that carry a lot of fun stuff.
Yep I found thier websites AWESOME STUFF I love all that custom stuff.

Well I flew it up and down the street today. not too bad considering its been 15 years since I flew a fixed wing..

it seem to want to stall or climb hard whn I give it power.. other than that great flight... not to great landing.. nosed it over and busted a prop.. oh well minor setback... but I am sure this will be a lot of fun.. thanks for the help!
metalwizard is online now Find More Posts by metalwizard
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:06 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
For ailerons to be effective you need to take out most or all of the dihedral.
Wow, talk about misinformation. That is so wrong I suggest you research a bit more.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:44 AM
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
Wow, talk about misinformation. That is so wrong I suggest you research a bit more.

Ok Ron,
We're all here to share - please let us know your experience.
I'm getting close to putting ailerons on and every piece of knowledge/opinion is great.

Thanks,
Peter
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:13 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
ailerons

my first slow stick had ailerons and the diehedral was as per the manual. I found them to be effective.
my second (and current) model has no ailerons (recommended dihedral) and i have not missed them. this (along with the Super Cub brushless) is my low stress fun flier for boring holes in the sky and shooting lots of touch and goes.

i position the front wing saddle 5 3/4" (manual recommends 145mm, about 5 11/16") from the fuse tube front. then adjust battery position to get a cg of about 4 1/4".

my first stick had the 4 - led setup RadicalRC sells. the super cub has the leds on it and i enjoy flying a battery or 2 after work. have another set of lights, should put it on the slow stick
allelectrik is online now Find More Posts by allelectrik
Last edited by allelectrik; Nov 24, 2012 at 02:23 AM. Reason: correct distances
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:36 AM
ARMY Flyer
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
so the ailerons worked out pretty good not super high roll rate but it will do a 360d Roll with a little speed i Have noticed the wing flutter at higher speeds im going to try to tape them up to make them a little stronger and see how it does i have noticed it is alot easier fly in the wind with them and here on my FOB we have at least 5-10 mph wind 90 % of the time if not all the time seems like the only time its calm is right after the sun goes down haha go figure
Kafie is offline Find More Posts by Kafie
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:03 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
Not wrong, but I should have said "as effective". Of course ailerons will work on a wing with dihedral. Look at a Piper Cherokee for example, which has a moderate amount (about 6 degrees) of dihedral. However, dihedral tends to make the wing self-leveling, which is why it is used on trainer RC airplanes such as the SS. A flat wing with ailerons tends to hold a bank angle, but dihedral works against that.

I have three SSs, one having a flat wing with ailerons and two with the standard 12 degree dihedral with no ailerons. All three fly nicely but the aileron ship is crisper.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Nov 24, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:03 AM
United States, UT, Hurricane
Joined Aug 2012
474 Posts
wow I didnt mean to start a war LOL

thanks for the input guys.. after flying it without ailerons I am happy wit hthe way it flies. so for now it stays the way it is.. maybe if I bust this wing I will think about flattening out a new wing and adding them!
metalwizard is online now Find More Posts by metalwizard
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:15 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
3,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafie View Post
so the ailerons worked out pretty good not super high roll rate but it will do a 360d Roll with a little speed i Have noticed the wing flutter at higher speeds im going to try to tape them up to make them a little stronger and see how it does i have noticed it is alot easier fly in the wind with them and here on my FOB we have at least 5-10 mph wind 90 % of the time if not all the time seems like the only time its calm is right after the sun goes down haha go figure
You've got new stuff headed your way in about two days. So crash all you want til then!

Between 5 hobby shops and 15-20 of our club members, here's what's coming to you guys for Christmas (a list from today's email to those involved):

As of November 25th:
We're almost ready to send this thing off! Just picked up the last donations from the field today, and there's a lot of great stuff for our troops! The only thing we're short on for completing the Slow Sticks is 1 (maybe 2), motors, 4 motor mounts, and 8 servos. We have $100 left over to use for more stuff, but that depends on shipping costs, unless Grayson handles that part. Here's what we have:
(Confirmed Items in my Basement Shop)
4- Slow Sticks.
1- Parkzone T-28.
1- Micro P-51 (w/ Tx, charger & lipos).
1- Micro J3 Cub (w/ Tx, charger & lipos).
1- Blade CX2 (w/ Tx, spare blades & lipo).
1- Blade CP Pro (w/ Tx, lipo, and lots of spare parts).
1- TopFire 2.4ghz Tx & Rx (powered by AAs).
1- Futaba 6EX PCM Tx w/ 2 Rx's, and charger.
1- JR Pro S400 Tx & Rx w/ charger.
1- Spektrum DX5e Tx.
1- Dynamite Passport Ultrapower lipo charger.
2- Motor/ESC combos.
2- "other" ESCs (30amp).
15- used but decent lipos.
LOTS of various size props, an Orange Rx, an AR500 Rx, 15 minute epoxy, bunch of CA, uh....... 1- Nerf Football.

Derik "Moonbeam"

(NOTE): "Aireck" from this very thread donated money. That was a huge help Aireck!! THANKS!!!
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Last edited by Moonbeam; Nov 25, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:53 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
I'm in the process of building my first slow stick and I have a few questions. Thank you in advance for your help.

1. Flight control horns - What are you guys using to glue the horns to the control surfaces? I used gorilla glue on mine, but it has a tendency to expand and looks bad. Are you guys using epoxy or what other types of glues are used for securing horns to flight controls?

2. Attaching elevator - is the supplied white plastic plates and bolts enough to hold the elevator? I was just curious if anybody was also adding epoxy along the fuselage before tighten the bolts down. I was thinking of just using the supplied bolts and plastic plates and add a bit of loctite. That way removal of a damaged tail would be quick and easy.

3. Attaching rudder - per the instructions it seems you just glue it on the side of the fuselage. I was planning on attaching the rudder the same way as the elevator is done and just drill some holes and attach without using glue so that replacing damaged tail would be simple.

4. I am going to add ailerons to my bird so I plan to make the wing with 0 dihedral. When making a flat wing there is a large gap between the two wing half's. Is this something I should be concerned with?

5. I am going to glass the bottom of the wing using 1.5-2.0 Fiber glass cloth and Miniwax Polycrylic. My question is... before I glass the bottom of the wing, should I secure the two wing halfs using fiber glass tape and epoxy? Do I have to use expoxy when joining the two wing halfs or would the miniwax polycrylic be strong enough?
SOOFLY is offline Find More Posts by SOOFLY
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Sep 2008
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOOFLY View Post
I'm in the process of building my first slow stick and I have a few questions. Thank you in advance for your help.

1. Flight control horns - What are you guys using to glue the horns to the control surfaces? I used gorilla glue on mine, but it has a tendency to expand and looks bad. Are you guys using epoxy or what other types of glues are used for securing horns to flight controls?

2. Attaching elevator - is the supplied white plastic plates and bolts enough to hold the elevator? I was just curious if anybody was also adding epoxy along the fuselage before tighten the bolts down. I was thinking of just using the supplied bolts and plastic plates and add a bit of loctite. That way removal of a damaged tail would be quick and easy.

3. Attaching rudder - per the instructions it seems you just glue it on the side of the fuselage. I was planning on attaching the rudder the same way as the elevator is done and just drill some holes and attach without using glue so that replacing damaged tail would be simple.

4. I am going to add ailerons to my bird so I plan to make the wing with 0 dihedral. When making a flat wing there is a large gap between the two wing half's. Is this something I should be concerned with?

5. I am going to glass the bottom of the wing using 1.5-2.0 Fiber glass cloth and Miniwax Polycrylic. My question is... before I glass the bottom of the wing, should I secure the two wing halfs using fiber glass tape and epoxy? Do I have to use expoxy when joining the two wing halfs or would the miniwax polycrylic be strong enough?
1. Foam safe CA
2. Elevator is fine the way described in the instructions
3. Yes, anything you can do to reinforce or attach the rudder better is good. The rudder is a weak point, if it falls over in flight you get to see a nice flat spin. Don't ask how I know that.
4. I lay the wing flat, and then epoxy the plastic insert on it. So that the plastic insert is now holding the wing flat instead of with dihedral. Then tape it down for good measure with clear packing tape. Then the top of the wing will not have a big v shaped gap in it.
5. I have no idea, never done that. I just fly them with the foam wings.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae