HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:29 AM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
Soooo... That light-weight slow stick I've been threatening to build... yeah... didn't work out so well. I moved everything as far as I could to get the CG right, and ended up having to move the wing WAY back.

Despite tons of throw, I couldn't get it to turn, but it had TONS of elevator throw.

It went splat.

Back to building planes that might actually fly!
You need tons of dihedral to get sharp turns. 30 degrees works well for me.

How much dihedral did you use? Longer fuse helps also. No such thing as too long.
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:21 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,297 Posts
More than stock, but not as much as 30*

I'm not too worried about it. Most, if not all the parts can be re-purposed, so the only thing I'm out is the time spent fiddling around with it all.
carlsoti is online now Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:12 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,136 Posts
If you're building a lightweight Slow Stick, Gohmer is your man. His is better than good, it's ELEGANT. So if he says 30, even though that's a LOT of dihedral, you gotta treat it seriously. Light Slow Sticks need to be nimble.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:39 PM
ARMY Flyer
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
i built my slow stick with i swear less than 10 maybe closer to 5 and it still turns great and sharp turns with a little up elevator
Kafie is offline Find More Posts by Kafie
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:16 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
If you're building a lightweight Slow Stick, Gohmer is your man. His is better than good, it's ELEGANT. So if he says 30, even though that's a LOT of dihedral, you gotta treat it seriously. Light Slow Sticks need to be nimble.
I guess my post doesn't "read" the same way I intended it when it was wrote. What I meant to say was that MY Slow Stick doesn't HAVE 30*, not that it doesn't need that much.

I might fiddle with it at a later time. Likely extending the boom to be closer to stock specs, as well as moving the servo's forward, and trimming a little extra weight off the v-tail stabs.

I recently took the "super-duper amp-miser" set-up off my regular slow stick, and replaced it with the big-honking motor and 2S set-up I got it with.

It was neat to build a plane with an efficient inrunner/ deep gearbox set-up that would fly for over 30 minutes on a 3S 1000mah pack, but it wasn't exactly a lot a fun to fly. Even turning a 13x9 slow fly prop, it seemed it could barely manage getting above stall speed, but once it was flying, I could dial the throttle way back to just a few clicks above "idle", and putt around the field until long after I was bored.

With the 2S set-up, I spin a 10x6 GWS prop, pulling just under 18A, and I've got enough juice to make it fun to fly again.

The motor I pulled from the gearbox set-up might eventually make it's way onto a NOS Multiplex Microjet. That's the plan anyway. Once that's done, I'll look at making the lightweight SLow Stick work.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:39 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,136 Posts
There you go! Don't give up on the lightweight SS project! Keep at it and you'll get it right.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:32 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
I guess my post doesn't "read" the same way I intended it when it was wrote. What I meant to say was that MY Slow Stick doesn't HAVE 30*, not that it doesn't need that much.

I might fiddle with it at a later time. Likely extending the boom to be closer to stock specs, as well as moving the servo's forward, and trimming a little extra weight off the v-tail stabs.

I recently took the "super-duper amp-miser" set-up off my regular slow stick, and replaced it with the big-honking motor and 2S set-up I got it with.

It was neat to build a plane with an efficient inrunner/ deep gearbox set-up that would fly for over 30 minutes on a 3S 1000mah pack, but it wasn't exactly a lot a fun to fly. Even turning a 13x9 slow fly prop, it seemed it could barely manage getting above stall speed, but once it was flying, I could dial the throttle way back to just a few clicks above "idle", and putt around the field until long after I was bored.

With the 2S set-up, I spin a 10x6 GWS prop, pulling just under 18A, and I've got enough juice to make it fun to fly again.

The motor I pulled from the gearbox set-up might eventually make it's way onto a NOS Multiplex Microjet. That's the plan anyway. Once that's done, I'll look at making the lightweight SLow Stick work.
Yeah when I was reading your set up post, the FIRST thing that caught my eye as a problem was saying your servos were "way back". That's what caused the CG problems. Only reason mine are back as far as they are is because I run a heavier brushless motor and a 2200 40C 3S lipo. If Gohmer's done light weight set ups, I'd go with his suggestion, as mine tend to be over powered and heavy.

FWIW, here's a pic of mine that shows the side profile pretty well. The wing's trailing edge is almost 1/2 way back on the stick. Under the trailing edge is my Rx. Between there and the tail is the servos. Under the main wing is a bomb drop, and between the landing gear is a pan/tilt camera mount. Then of course the 2200 lipo and pilot (sitting on the ESC), and motor. I've set up several Slow Sticks to this configuration and at varying weight limits. All worked exactly the same and well balanced.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,297 Posts
FWIW, I figured by using shorter pushrods made of CF, I could reduce weight at the tail, and not pay as much of a penalty for moving the servos back. I didn't really do any math on it, just the TLAR method of SS building.

I was wrong. I don't feel that bad about it.

I had fun flying my other Slow Stick tonight. I picked up a cheap lighting set from either banana or nitro, actually 3 sets, shipped, for under $20. I just taped the LEDs in place on the SS wing, rubber banded the control module thing to the stick, and put it in the air.

I love this set-up. I can start backed up to my garage, and be 20 feet up before reaching the street. It doesn't take much more space than that to land it.

These lights aren't as well placed as when I used the LED strips, magnet wire, etc to light up a plane, but it only cost me 1/10 the time and 1/2 the money.

With the hours I'll be putting in up until the end of the year, a night flying slow-stick will come in handy. I may not have any time to fly during the day.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:32 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,847 Posts
Most of mine have had rear mounted servo's. Red indoor one is getting some new, lighter servo's and other tweaks after a mid-air in the Metrodome last week.

V-tail might be the problem with carlsoti's. Anyone else using one?

As long as one balances 4.25" behind the wing LE it should fly ok. One in the pic has a 40" fuse.
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:08 AM
United States, UT, Hurricane
Joined Aug 2012
592 Posts
Guys I am a heli pilot, havent flown a plank in probably 15 years..

So I thought it was time and bought a Slowstick. got the one with the brushless motor.

put it together today and I have a couple questions... I am sure they have been answered but I am not going to real 900+ pages to get them LOL

first off about how far back should the wing me on the fuse?? the instructions dont really say.

second most of the pics I have seen show the battery ahead of the wing. but the instructions kind of show it under the wing?? is that because most are running bigger packs??

the only thing I am lacking to get it in the air is an sec and battery pack.. so I figured I'd ask for suggestions.

I am in no rush to do crazy stunts yet. but I do have quite a bit of room to fly, so I would like something with a little ooomph and something that will give me some good flight times..

so 3 cell?? 200 mah ish?? and maybe a 30 amp esc?? like i said the instructions dont say anything about even what size the motor is.. no specks whatsoever and no marking on the brushless..

the prop that came with it is a 1060.. is that a good place to start?? or is there a better one??

thanks
metalwizard is offline Find More Posts by metalwizard
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:04 AM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
You move the wing back and forth to get the center of gravity correct. I don't use the stock wing so some one will have to chime in the distance from the LE you set it at. Mount your motor just behind the motor and right behind the landing gear mount. Then adjust the position of the wing to balance. You can put the battery back more but unless you are using a pretty small battery that never works well for me.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:46 AM
Joined Jan 2007
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwizard View Post
Guys I am a heli pilot, havent flown a plank in probably 15 years..

So I thought it was time and bought a Slowstick. got the one with the brushless motor.

put it together today and I have a couple questions... I am sure they have been answered but I am not going to real 900+ pages to get them LOL

first off about how far back should the wing me on the fuse?? the instructions dont really say.

second most of the pics I have seen show the battery ahead of the wing. but the instructions kind of show it under the wing?? is that because most are running bigger packs??

the only thing I am lacking to get it in the air is an sec and battery pack.. so I figured I'd ask for suggestions.

I am in no rush to do crazy stunts yet. but I do have quite a bit of room to fly, so I would like something with a little ooomph and something that will give me some good flight times..

so 3 cell?? 200 mah ish?? and maybe a 30 amp esc?? like i said the instructions dont say anything about even what size the motor is.. no specks whatsoever and no marking on the brushless..

the prop that came with it is a 1060.. is that a good place to start?? or is there a better one??

thanks
+1 on moving the landing gear to just behind the motor. I use plastic tie wraps with a 10mm wide 35mm long piece of ply wood for the gear wire to bare on. The ESC then Rx go on top of the stick just behind the gear. The wing is just behind the Rx. The servos are under the wing about as far forward as the length of the included pushrods will allow. Just be sure to mount the servos so that the push rod has a straight shot thru the rear wing mount and the tail wheel bracket back to the rudder and ele.

Move the battery under the stick to balance at 4: to 4 1/4 inches from the leading edge of the wing. Put a mark on the underside of the wing at the 4 1/8 point. Hold the plane on your finger tips located at that mark. Move the battery for and aft till the plane hangs level.

I can fly with anything from a 1000 ma to a 3300ma battery. The lighter battery all the way forward, and the heavier battery further back. It is simple to check the balance with the fingers under the wing and ajdust the battery position as needed.

Anton
bubbleman is offline Find More Posts by bubbleman
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,526 Posts
You need to get as much weight as possible toward the front, which is the reason many of us mount the battery just behind the motor. I use 3s 1600 mah packs. The "right" CG is very subjective but I like it at 100 mm (~4 inches). Don't go back any more than 4.25 inches to start.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:30 AM
United States, UT, Hurricane
Joined Aug 2012
592 Posts
thanks guys great info. that will get me in the ballpark.

the instructions say 95 to 105 mm for the CG so I am good to go there (yeah about 4"+ ) I just wondered where to put the wing.

I saw a website that has some pretty cool stick hop ups.. including a steering tail dragger wheel and some other plastic mounts to move the front gear forward.

With all the dihedral this thing has is it worth it to add ailerons to it?? I mean since the wing is already set up for it there must be some reason to have them LOL
metalwizard is offline Find More Posts by metalwizard
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:26 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwizard View Post
thanks guys great info. that will get me in the ballpark.

the instructions say 95 to 105 mm for the CG so I am good to go there (yeah about 4"+ ) I just wondered where to put the wing.

I saw a website that has some pretty cool stick hop ups.. including a steering tail dragger wheel and some other plastic mounts to move the front gear forward.

With all the dihedral this thing has is it worth it to add ailerons to it?? I mean since the wing is already set up for it there must be some reason to have them LOL
I tried ailerons with all the dihedral and they weren't that good. Flatten out the wing a little and then they are very responsive. Heads up rc, radical rc and millennium rc are great sites that carry a lot of fun stuff.
Bill0 is online now Find More Posts by Bill0