HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:12 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafie View Post
So i flew mine agian as soon as the wind died down and let me tell you it was awsome it was a great choice to build and ended up being perfect mines is 19 oz with battery ready to fly and it will go straight up at full throttle running a 400 motor with a 11.1 1300 lipo 20 amp esc 10.47 prop it flyes great this is the plane i should have bought first thanks for all the help guys your awsome
Mine is quite a bit heavier (28 ounces) because I have a lot of extra stuff on board but it flies nicely with a 400-size motor, 10 x 4.7 prop and a 1300 mah 3s NanoTech.. No vertical climbs but that is not a requirement for me.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:09 PM
ARMY Flyer
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Mine is quite a bit heavier (28 ounces) because I have a lot of extra stuff on board but it flies nicely with a 400-size motor, 10 x 4.7 prop and a 1300 mah 3s NanoTech.. No vertical climbs but that is not a requirement for me.
I was thinking about trying a 2 s 2200 battery and see how it goes for longer flights what do you guys think think it will still fly okay with the bigger battery and less volts
Kafie is offline Find More Posts by Kafie
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Sep 2008
675 Posts
Your rate of climb will be slow, but if you keep it light and maybe go up one inch in prop, the Slow Stick is certainly capable of flying slowly which it would do with 2s.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:09 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,023 Posts
A pair of 3s 1300's wired in parallel will increase flight times too. I use three 3s 1200's in parallel on mine sometimes. On very calm days I often use a single 2s 720.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
A pair of 3s 1300's wired in parallel will increase flight times too. I use three 3s 1200's in parallel on mine sometimes. On very calm days I often use a single 2s 720.
What kind of flight times are you getting when you run those 3 cells in parallel?

I see you from bishopville S.C. I live in Greenville, South Carolina.
SOOFLY is offline Find More Posts by SOOFLY
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:15 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafie View Post
I was thinking about trying a 2 s 2200 battery and see how it goes for longer flights what do you guys think think it will still fly okay with the bigger battery and less volts
Hang in there. In a week and a half we'll be sending you one helluva Christmas package. The four Slow Sticks (only part of the package), will have powerful enough motors, like ours, you'll be flying on 3S 1800 and 2200 getting 15 minute flights. I PM'd you what else just got added to the list. People are donating all kinds of cool stuff!!
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:29 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOOFLY View Post
What kind of flight times are you getting when you run those 3 cells in parallel?

I see you from bishopville S.C. I live in Greenville, South Carolina.
I honestly don't know, but when it lands we change pilots instead of batteries. I would guess 45 minutes, long enough for my neck to get sore. I'm from Anderson.

Moonbeam, I don't have the words in my limited vocabulary to express my thoughts.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:02 PM
ARMY Flyer
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Hang in there. In a week and a half we'll be sending you one helluva Christmas package. The four Slow Sticks (only part of the package), will have powerful enough motors, like ours, you'll be flying on 3S 1800 and 2200 getting 15 minute flights. I PM'd you what else just got added to the list. People are donating all kinds of cool stuff!!

Thank you man your awsome we cant wait
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:14 AM
352nd FG Association
Joined Mar 2004
4,196 Posts
A few guys donated cash, so maybe we'll have enough to pick up a couple more cool items.

Not sure what you said your set up is on your SS, but I use the E-Flite Park450, 30amp ESC, 2200 40C 3S lipo, and switch out props. I use the 10x4.7SF, 11x5.5E mostly. The 10x5E is good as far as low amp draw and more fly time, but it doen't give you much "pull". I like the 10x4.7SF for 7 minute flights, doing rapid steep climbing take offs. Of course my SS is much heavier than most with lights, pilot figure, and bomb/chute/glider drop mechanism. Sometimes I put a "bench seat" just aft of the wing and take my daughters 3" dolls for rides with the camera.

She loves those crazy "Lalaloopsy" 3" dolls, which are perfect and light weight for passengers.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:46 AM
ARMY Flyer
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
My daughter Loves those to she never leaves it out of her site
My set up is a 400 power up slow fly 10.47 prop 3s 1300 20 c battery and a 20 amp esc also tried same set up with a 2200 3 s and it was a good 20+ min flight time Im loving the slow stick cant wait for more of them to get up in the air here

Quote:
A few guys donated cash, so maybe we'll have enough to pick up a couple more cool items.

Not sure what you said your set up is on your SS, but I use the E-Flite Park450, 30amp ESC, 2200 40C 3S lipo, and switch out props. I use the 10x4.7SF, 11x5.5E mostly. The 10x5E is good as far as low amp draw and more fly time, but it doen't give you much "pull". I like the 10x4.7SF for 7 minute flights, doing rapid steep climbing take offs. Of course my SS is much heavier than most with lights, pilot figure, and bomb/chute/glider drop mechanism. Sometimes I put a "bench seat" just aft of the wing and take my daughters 3" dolls for rides with the camera.

She loves those crazy "Lalaloopsy" 3" dolls, which are perfect and light weight for passengers.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:40 PM
352nd FG Association
Joined Mar 2004
4,196 Posts
The "Lalaloopsy Air Force" is REAL after all!!!!

Hey I just sent you a PM with the updated list of stuff we're sending to you guys in Afghanistan. It's HUGE!!! Lots of great stuff to keep you busy on Christmas.
(More being added everyday).
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:37 AM
ARMY Flyer
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
The LalaLoopsy Air Force thats Awesome haha

Quote:
The "Lalaloopsy Air Force" is REAL after all!!!!

Hey I just sent you a PM with the updated list of stuff we're sending to you guys in Afghanistan. It's HUGE!!! Lots of great stuff to keep you busy on Christmas.
(More being added everyday).
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:21 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
Soooo... That light-weight slow stick I've been threatening to build... yeah... didn't work out so well. I moved everything as far as I could to get the CG right, and ended up having to move the wing WAY back.

Despite tons of throw, I couldn't get it to turn, but it had TONS of elevator throw.

It went splat.

Back to building planes that might actually fly!
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:59 PM
352nd FG Association
Joined Mar 2004
4,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
Soooo... That light-weight slow stick I've been threatening to build... yeah... didn't work out so well. I moved everything as far as I could to get the CG right, and ended up having to move the wing WAY back.

Despite tons of throw, I couldn't get it to turn, but it had TONS of elevator throw.

It went splat.

Back to building planes that might actually fly!
What was your set up again? Tell us exactly what motor/ESC, & lipo size. Bet with all the folks here who've had success, we should be able to figure this thing out. Don't give up yet!

I have a Parkzone P-51, P-47, Stryker Q, a 55mm EDF F-86, Ledfeather EPP profile Yak 55, SkyAngel mini T-28, 2 micro helis and a Slow Stick. Out of all of them the Slow Stick gets the most air time with about 4 flights, 5 days a week. I've set up probably 5 or 6 Slow Sticks without any problems.

It can definitely be a pain getting things just right, but they get there. And once they're right and the plane is CG'd correctly, you'll fly the crap outta that thing I assure you. If your set up is anything close to mine, I'll post the exact placement of everything to give you a sorta "Chinese Blueprint" to work off of.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:09 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
5/16" basswood stick, for a fuse. Quite a bit shorter than stock. Slo-V V-tail mount, rewound red and blue wonder, dymond 47 servos mounted way out back. Plush 10A ESC and a 800mah 2S pack. I ended up using a Hitec 2.4 compatible micro rx from mega-China-hobby-mart, or whatever they're called today. (I still have a few links saved as "Hobby City.")

I think it boils down to me straying too far from the "stock" stick. I should've gone with the stock length, and just mirrored a normal build with lightweight components.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti