HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:22 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
IIRC, a piece of 5/16" basswood fits in the fuse very snug. A 2" piece of that and a few tiny screws would do the job.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:14 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
I put a 5/16 dowel full length and a bit of GG in the alum ones and did it just recently to the f/g one also.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:00 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Oct 2009
230 Posts
I just rebuilt my slowstick after not flying it for 2 years. When I give it full throttle, it pitches straight up. Is this just a characteristic of this plane or is there something I can do to make it fly normal.
Idoitall is offline Find More Posts by Idoitall
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Sep 2008
675 Posts
It is common for it to climb under throttle. But not straight up.

Where is your CG? How is the motor mounted? How is the elevator trimmed?

I've found that putting a spacer to raise the trailing edge of the wing helps so you don't need as much downtrim on the elevator.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:06 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Oct 2009
230 Posts
I haven't measured the cg yet. motor is brushless mounted on the top of the stick maybe an inch. elevator is trimmed for slightly nose low power off flight.
Idoitall is offline Find More Posts by Idoitall
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:54 PM
ARMY Flyer
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
So I just got done putting my stick together and we are doing the maiden tomorrow
wish me luck i hope i did it right
Kafie is offline Find More Posts by Kafie
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:55 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idoitall View Post
I haven't measured the cg yet.
Huge mistake right there... never even attempt to fly a Slow Stick unless the CG is somewhere around 90mm from the leading edge. It really messes it up - sounds like yours is tail-heavy.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:26 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafie View Post
So I just got done putting my stick together and we are doing the maiden tomorrow
wish me luck i hope i did it right
LOL!!! Look what I found!!! This you? (I Googled "1-211th Attack Aviation Battalion" - images)

Check PMs, Christmas Package is soon to be shipped your way.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:04 AM
ARMY Flyer
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
LOL!!! Look what I found!!! This you? (I Googled "1-211th Attack Aviation Battalion" - images)

Check PMs, Christmas Package is soon to be shipped your way.
Yeah it is me haha yeah that was from our training time in FT HOOD
Just finished the maiden and i have to say it flew pretty good its a bit to windy and its raining but went in the air and then it landed with out damage i guess i cant ask for more than that
Last edited by Kafie; Nov 16, 2012 at 04:13 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:24 AM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
I flew nitro planes a few years back and then switched over to electric Heli's. I've been flying Heli's now for about a year and decided it was time to buy an electric plane. I started doing some research and found this great site. I've read back about 30 pages and found an overwhelming amount of information on setups and upgrades for the slow stick. It seems that some of the popular websites for the slowstick are headsuprc.com, radicalrc.com and millenniumrc.com. If there are other sites I should know about please let me know. Here is the setup I was thinking of running:

Kit: Slow Stick
Motor: Power up 450 Slow Fly 880kv 240 watts 2.5 oz
ESC: Castle Creations Phoenix 25amp (35amp burst 10sec)
Servo: Towerpro 9g
Upgrades: stronger landing gear, glass wing, add ailerons, tail gear

I have a few questions...

Are there any pros or cons on going with a 450 size motor vs a 400 size? Are there any certain brands of plane motors that are popular and the majority of pilots use?

It has became the norm to use 6cell high voltage setups in 450 size helicopters because of the decrease in amps and longer flight times. Nanotech has started producing 6cell 1300mah batteries that are the same size and weight of the 3 cell 2200mah batteries. Does anybody offer a 450 size plane motor that can run on 6cell? I'm assuming you would have to reduce the kv at least you do on elec Heli's.

What thickness of fiberglass are you guys using to glass the wing?

Thanks for your help.
SOOFLY is offline Find More Posts by SOOFLY
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,547 Posts
Soofly: IMO a 400 motor is a good choice unless you plan on carrying a lot of payload, e.g., FPV or AP gear. A 450 will make more of a screamer (if you can imagine a screamer SS) but will of course weigh more.

Fiberglass cloth is measured by weight per square yard. I use 1.5 or 2 ounce. Buy cloth, not mat.

You cannot use a 6s battery with the ESC you have chosen. It is rated fir 4s max with no BEC, or 3s with BEC.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Nov 16, 2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:20 AM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Soofly: IMO a 400 motor is a good choice unless you plan on carrying a lot of payload, e.g., FPV or AP gear. A 450 will make more of a screamer (if you can imagine a screamer SS) but will of course weigh more.

Fiberglass cloth is measured by weight per square yard. I use 1.5 or 2 ounce. Buy cloth, not mat.

You cannot use a 6s battery with the ESC you have chosen. It is rated fir 4s max with no BEC, or 3s with BEC.
Thanks for the help Kaptondave.

I should have been more specific. I already have some 3 cell 2200 mah lipos that I use with my 450 size heli, so I plan to run this size battery. You are correct that my ESC is only capable of running on 3-4 cell. This ESC has been sitting on my bench for a while now so I need to find a use for it. In regards to the 6 cell, I was just asking if anybody was doing this. I guess one downside is you would need a heavier ESC to support the 6 cell which could be around 60-70grams so maybe you would lose any benefit.

What are the cons with going with the 450 size motors and flying at reduced throttle.? The price is about the same so thats not an issue. I see they weight about .6 oz heavier. I've read about ESC's not liking low throttle settings and buring up FETS in the ESC. Do you have any thoughts on this? I've also briefly seen people mention something about "active free wheeling" and this is needed for ESC's to run at low throttle. I've never had this issue with heli's because they run a constant throttle through out the flight.
SOOFLY is offline Find More Posts by SOOFLY
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:27 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,260 Posts
I have only used 450-size motors with my Slow Sticks and have presumed a 400 wouldn't have enough grunt, then again none of mine weighed in anywhere near 15 ozs.

The Slo Fly 450 at HeadsUp is a great motor choice. I also use Turnigy 450s from HK.

I used 3/4oz fiberglass cloth and it seems tough enough for a SS application.

3S batts are the max a SS airframe can reasonable handle. I used to use 2200 3S batts exclusively but now I only fly em with 1300 3S as the agility of the model is a bit better with a lighter batt.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:36 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,384 Posts
I fly mine with the stock BL2215 most of the time but I switch back and forth with the E-flite 450. Mine is heavier than most with added gear and 2200mah batts. The wing on mine has been strengthened by adding a sheet of foam to the bottom of the wing.

BTW, Gorilla Bobs is a good place for SS goodies as well. Great service too.
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Last edited by HeeBeeGeeBee; Nov 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM. Reason: added pic
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:47 AM
ARMY Flyer
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
So i flew mine agian as soon as the wind died down and let me tell you it was awsome it was a great choice to build and ended up being perfect mines is 19 oz with battery ready to fly and it will go straight up at full throttle running a 400 motor with a 11.1 1300 lipo 20 amp esc 10.47 prop it flyes great this is the plane i should have bought first thanks for all the help guys your awsome