HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:44 PM
Actively makin humans obsolete
Northern Virginia
Joined Jul 2007
773 Posts
Anyone know of online stores that have slow sticks in stock? So far I only see eBay which is a bit pricey
Razor_Racer is offline Find More Posts by Razor_Racer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:13 AM
Re-Kitting Expert :o
Bullhead City, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
1,666 Posts
Razor we have them in stock. We have Speed 300, speed 400 in yellow. We have NPS in yellow & Red, and we have the brushless Slow Sticks in yellow and red butt they aren't currently listed on the web site.
GorillaBob is offline Find More Posts by GorillaBob
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:38 AM
ARMY Flyer
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
So Building a slow Stick

Im trying to make sure i order all the right stuff i need to set it up

Slow Stick NPS red 28$
5x 9g Micro servos 1.95$ ea
Sti SERVO "Y" HARNESS - 12" lightweight - 32 gauge wireck 2$
Mount - Aluminum Outrunner Mount for 10mm Sticks 9.95$
15x GWS 9047 Propeller ONE GREY 9" Slow Fly Prop 1.40 $ ea
Power Up 370 Sport Outrunner Brushless Motor 13.95$
HURC 18 Amp Brushless Motor ESC 13.95$

Thanks for any input im currently in afghanistan and really dont want to have to wait for more than one shippment
I have a 30 c 1300 mah 11.1 battery
and a dynum 6 ch rx/tx
Kafie is offline Find More Posts by Kafie
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:00 AM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafie View Post
Im trying to make sure i order all the right stuff i need to set it up

Slow Stick NPS red 28$
5x 9g Micro servos 1.95$ ea
Sti SERVO "Y" HARNESS - 12" lightweight - 32 gauge wireck 2$
Mount - Aluminum Outrunner Mount for 10mm Sticks 9.95$
15x GWS 9047 Propeller ONE GREY 9" Slow Fly Prop 1.40 $ ea
Power Up 370 Sport Outrunner Brushless Motor 13.95$
HURC 18 Amp Brushless Motor ESC 13.95$

Thanks for any input im currently in afghanistan and really dont want to have to wait for more than one shippment
I have a 30 c 1300 mah 11.1 battery
and a dynum 6 ch rx/tx
Looks OK but what is the "Y" harness for?
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Jan 2007
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1379 View Post
Looks OK but what is the "Y" harness for?
the 5 servos. that would be rud and ele plus two for ail. and one for a bomb drop.
bubbleman is offline Find More Posts by bubbleman
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:05 PM
ARMY Flyer
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
Slow stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleman View Post
the 5 servos. that would be rud and ele plus two for ail. and one for a bomb drop.
ailerons and camera platform i know they wont be very effective but i plane to add them and take most of the v out of the wing but its really because they are on sale right now and its a good price
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Jan 2007
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafie View Post
ailerons and camera platform i know they wont be very effective but i plane to add them and take most of the v out of the wing but its really because they are on sale right now and its a good price

so the 5th servo would be for camera pan. cool.

I leave the stock "V" to the wing with my SS equipped with ailerons. The trick to learn rudder control on a USA mode 2 transmitter is to fly with just the left stick as a 2 Chanel. With proper trim a SS Will climb with increase in power and descend with decrease in power. Impress you flying buddies by doing figure 8's and such with your right hand in your pocket
bubbleman is offline Find More Posts by bubbleman
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:56 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,228 Posts
Kafie, don't forget to grab an external BEC, as the integrated linear BEC of the HURC 18A ESC will not be up to the task to power all them servos.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Battery/Detail

I would also recommend a 400- or 450-size motor over the 370. Something with a low enough kV to swing a 10" prop. Slow Sticks like big props.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:04 AM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
Kafie, don't forget to grab an external BEC, as the integrated linear BEC of the HURC 18A ESC will not be up to the task to power all them servos.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Battery/Detail

I would also recommend a 400- or 450-size motor over the 370. Something with a low enough kV to swing a 10" prop. Slow Sticks like big props.
I'm not disagreeing but I'd like to point out the lifting ability of the SS with very moderate power, I flew my 30 oz SS with camera on a 2410-09Y motor. It's an older design that I can't recommend but it's only 130W. I do believe I used a GWS 1047 prop. I can't find all the specs on the Power Up 370 but I agree with the bigger props. You need more thrust than speed.

Chris
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:06 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,477 Posts
I agree with Phoam about the 400-size motor, especially with the added weight you plan to carry, and a 10 x 4.7 prop. Get a few extra props. A spare motor would be a good idea also if your supply line is long.

You don't need an external BEC. Counting servos is not a valid argument. You will never have all six servos active simultaneously.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:09 AM
ARMY Flyer
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
I agree with Phoam about the 400-size motor, especially with the added weight you plan to carry, and a 10 x 4.7 prop. Get a few extra props. A spare motor would be a good idea also if your supply line is long.

You don't need an external BEC. Counting servos is not a valid argument. You will never have all six servos active simultaneously.
Slow Sly Prop or Direct drive?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:11 AM
ARMY Flyer
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
Change in parts list
Power Up 450 Slofly Outrunner Brushless Motor
HURC 22 Amp Brushless Motor ESC
15x GWS 1047 Propellers ONE GRAY 10" Slow Fly Prop
Im moving from a 4 ch war bird that was never made for a begginer or any one with out flying and airplane setup
so im hoping its a bit easier haha
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:31 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,019 Posts
I'd change one thing. Get rid of that GWS prop. An APC slow fly prop will get you significantly more efficiency. At higher RPM the GWS props get excessive blade flutter, giving you wasted amps from increased drag with no increase in thrust. A study by a prominent university singled out GWS props as notably inefficient.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:11 PM
ARMY Flyer
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I'd change one thing. Get rid of that GWS prop. An APC slow fly prop will get you significantly more efficiency. At higher RPM the GWS props get excessive blade flutter, giving you wasted amps from increased drag with no increase in thrust. A study by a prominent university singled out GWS props as notably inefficient.
Question I have no idea how to fly is it that bad i mean its double the price and the props only ever last 1 flight maybe 2 as it is so ??? help
Last edited by Kafie; Oct 30, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:20 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
He intends to use only five servos, but anytime you're making a cordinated turn using rudder + elevator + ailerons, power is being supplied to four servos, and that's enough to overload a linear BEC. It's been said that those 9-gram servos are kinda power-hungry too. Personally, I wouldn't run more than three servos off of a linear BEC, no matter if they are used simultaneously or not. I like to elimate the likelihood of a brownout.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam