HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:29 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,023 Posts
warm workshop, glue on fingers, pile of balsa...totally hear ya
I was thinking of getting one of the slow stick X kits soon too, and I know I would fly that hard I'm probably gonna take it easy on this EVA at the beginning, at least until I'm comfortable with it. I get the feeling its gonna haul butt the way I have it set up though, so I might get a little adventurous
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
warm workshop, glue on fingers, pile of balsa...totally hear ya
I was thinking of getting one of the slow stick X kits soon too, and I know I would fly that hard I'm probably gonna take it easy on this EVA at the beginning, at least until I'm comfortable with it. I get the feeling its gonna haul butt the way I have it set up though, so I might get a little adventurous
Exactly!

NOTHING beats the feeling of opening up a new kit, and dreaming of the possibilities of building the worlds first totally perfect build. Then reality sets in after you realize you just glued the wrong two pieces to each other...

I love this hobby!
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:40 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
Exactly!

NOTHING beats the feeling of opening up a new kit, and dreaming of the possibilities of building the worlds first totally perfect build. Then reality sets in after you realize you just glued the wrong two pieces to each other...

I love this hobby!
lol or you crack the main spar so you have to try and make a reinforcement and hope to god that it doesnt snap on you (guilty lol)
The one kit that I do want to do nicely is a plastic f-16c kit I got...not exactly balsa, but it'll work. Im going to try and make it look nice and get some decals made that match my dad's jet that he flew.
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
lol or you crack the main spar so you have to try and make a reinforcement and hope to god that it doesnt snap on you (guilty lol)
The one kit that I do want to do nicely is a plastic f-16c kit I got...not exactly balsa, but it'll work. Im going to try and make it look nice and get some decals made that match my dad's jet that he flew.
I hear you...

Don't shoot for perfection. Shoot to have something that reminds you of the love you have for your dad. Let the effort you put into it speak for itself, and not the perfection of what you accomplish....
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:30 PM
United States, TX, Fredericksburg
Joined Oct 2011
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
Exactly!

I love this hobby!
I'm a newbie, with a Champ, a Night Vapor, and two Slow Sticks. I'm wanting to try something with a little more mass than the Champ and Night Vapor and a little more shape than the SS. I'm wondering about an easy to build kit that also won't be too challenging to fly. Can either of you recommend a particular MM that might fit my need?
Blue Lacy is offline Find More Posts by Blue Lacy
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:40 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Lacy View Post
I'm a newbie, with a Champ, a Night Vapor, and two Slow Sticks. I'm wanting to try something with a little more mass than the Champ and Night Vapor and a little more shape than the SS. I'm wondering about an easy to build kit that also won't be too challenging to fly. Can either of you recommend a particular MM that might fit my need?
A little more mass and easy to build model are these:
I fly these two everyday, fun, relaxing, and easy to thread through park trees because they're so slow!
Flight Review GWS Pico Tiger Moth Brushless Conversion Flying in Swiss Alps (5 min 51 sec)

Best Ever $35 Foamie Trainer/3D aerobatic flying Unlimited Loops GWS Cub 3 channel HD video (3 min 8 sec)
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:44 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Sorry, not to hijack the thread with two other GWS models. I also fly my SS daily right in the backyard and have 3 other SS NPS kits in boxes waiting to be built. My SS now has the Exceed RC 400 BL 1080 KV, 10X4.7 SF prop, 18 amp ESC, and flies on a Zippy 1300 mAh 3S, and it floats along nicely but can also climb vertical for about 5 seconds.
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Very Nice!!!!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:07 PM
United States, TX, Fredericksburg
Joined Oct 2011
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post
Sorry, not to hijack the thread with two other GWS models. I also fly my SS daily right in the backyard and have 3 other SS NPS kits in boxes waiting to be built.
You didn't hijack the thread. I found Noflyzone and Endlesslag's back and forth interesting and thought I'd slip a question in there. Thanks for the videos. I like the Cub 3 aerobatics. I'm SS challenged and taking a break while I order replacement parts for both of the two I have. By the way what is an "NPS" kit?
Blue Lacy is offline Find More Posts by Blue Lacy
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Lacy View Post
You didn't hijack the thread. I found Noflyzone and Endlesslag's back and forth interesting and thought I'd slip a question in there. Thanks for the videos. I like the Cub 3 aerobatics. I'm SS challenged and taking a break while I order replacement parts for both of the two I have. By the way what is an "NPS" kit?
NPS = No Power System

No motor included in kit.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:00 AM
United Kingdom, England, Peterborough
Joined Sep 2011
81 Posts
OK Thanks everyone for all the pointers. I was strongly tempted to ditch the EPS400 but that Pixie ESC is pretty cheap and seems made for the job - the lipo battery and servos will all work fine on future projects. The tx/rx I am going for is this:
PLANET 5 2.4Ghz TX RX SET MODE II - it costs GBP47.50, compared to about GBP80 for a SpektrumDX5e TX/RX set.
I look at it this way - if I really like this RC thing, what I am likely to build are balsa kits or free flight conversions in the 18in to 30in wingspan range. For those models, the EPS400 may work just fine, and I will want to get a much better radio kit anyway.
grimupnorth is offline Find More Posts by grimupnorth
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:32 AM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimupnorth View Post
OK Thanks everyone for all the pointers. I was strongly tempted to ditch the EPS400 but that Pixie ESC is pretty cheap and seems made for the job - the lipo battery and servos will all work fine on future projects. The tx/rx I am going for is this:
PLANET 5 2.4Ghz TX RX SET MODE II - it costs GBP47.50, compared to about GBP80 for a SpektrumDX5e TX/RX set.
I look at it this way - if I really like this RC thing, what I am likely to build are balsa kits or free flight conversions in the 18in to 30in wingspan range. For those models, the EPS400 may work just fine, and I will want to get a much better radio kit anyway.
Just be careful with that radio set. The mfr. clearly states that it is not a full range setup. The SS is pretty big and I know I've been guilty of pushing the range limit. It may be fine until you fly too close to power lines, radio towers, or even share space with another 2.4GHz system. Then you may have glitches. With any 2.4GHz system, make sure you mount the RX with as little chance of blocking the antennas as possible and not too close to the other electronics.

Chris
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:33 AM
United Kingdom, England, Peterborough
Joined Sep 2011
81 Posts
OK thanks Chris. I have some flying sites in mind that should be OK. I will have a look around for alternatives too.
grimupnorth is offline Find More Posts by grimupnorth
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:53 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,135 Posts
I wonder if that Planet 5 system has the power output of a DX5e or more like the LP5DSM? That transmitter was packaged with the Blade CX2 helicopter that was made to fly indoors or in small outdoor spaces. Both are listed as having a range of 100m. If I'm not mistaken, the full range transmitters have a 1000-2000m range. I know someone tested Spektrum gear to be reliable at 2400m.
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:19 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Always forget those radios that are listed the range less than 300 meters or 1000 feet if you'd like to fly outdoor.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen