HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2005, 05:46 PM
Hey ya'll, watch this!
Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Joined Jun 2005
179 Posts
That is overboard, but if you got the money, why not?
Good Luck,
Paul
War Bird 22 is offline Find More Posts by War Bird 22
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2005, 06:18 PM
Smashes Things
Montpelier, VA
Joined Feb 2005
2,400 Posts
The motor is rated for 12 amps max per here:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-axi2212.htm

Looks like the 10 x 4.7 would keep you within that. Given that then the Phoenix 10 would be OK too.

The issue is that the SS is not really weight sensitive so that may not be the best set up but it will certainly make it fly well. Look at some other power systems within this thread.

I have no idea about he radios

Typ
RCTyp is offline Find More Posts by RCTyp
Old Aug 23, 2005, 06:29 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Radio should be OK however I would check to be sure it is working properly and will talk to your RX. Of course do a range check BEFORE flying.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Aug 23, 2005, 07:41 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
Guys;

The way I'm reading the specs on the AXI 2212/26, it will probably pull 12+ amps with a 1047 and 3S-1550 LiPo pack. The 2212/34 looks like a better choice for using 3S and a large prop.

Also the Himax outrunners look very good at swinging large 10"+ props at reasonable amp draws.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Aug 23, 2005, 08:43 PM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
Getting elitest was not my intent. However I have done exhaustive testing of the 300, 350 and 400 setups and can say without reservation the 400C-G setup is far Superior. As to the weight the SS will float just as well in fact too well with the added weight! Most failures with the 400 is due to not using the correct size or capacity battery packs!
boomer
Fair enough, I have experience in 300 and 400, but not extensive. My results show that the 400 is not really beneficial unless you go to at least 10 cells traditional or 3S Lipos. I agree that the SS dont really care about weight, I just like long flights and added weight cuts it down. What would you consider the correct battery capacity and voltage for a 400 motor?I had a bad day at work and a bit grumpy today - sorry for the elitest comment.
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Old Aug 23, 2005, 09:30 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBiggles
Fair enough, I have experience in 300 and 400, but not extensive. My results show that the 400 is not really beneficial unless you go to at least 10 cells traditional or 3S Lipos. I agree that the SS dont really care about weight, I just like long flights and added weight cuts it down. What would you consider the correct battery capacity and voltage for a 400 motor?I had a bad day at work and a bit grumpy today - sorry for the elitest comment.
You're right on! 3S lipo or 9 or 10 cell KANs is what it takes. You need something that will produce at least 15A to get the best out of the 400C-G setup. Actually the 400C-D that GWS includes with the SS is not the best setup. I fly the 400 with at least a 3S-2000 Poly and usually the 2200. That way you can fly until your neck hurts! As to how much weight the SS can handle the 600 powered one I built at 43oz really flew quite well!
boomer
Old Aug 24, 2005, 01:56 PM
Flying on Flux Capacitors
Edmonton, AB
Joined Apr 2005
1,422 Posts
Came back from my LHS today, I bought a speed 400 with the E gearing (they had no more F's). Also bought a 1250 3cell lipo with 15C and some 11*7 and 10*6 props. Hope this will haul more then the stock setup. If this dosn't give me the required ommph, I may think about buying a park brushless 400 and replacing the brushed 400. Anyway off I go to break in the 400.
Flipper_118 is offline Find More Posts by Flipper_118
Old Aug 24, 2005, 02:04 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_118
Came back from my LHS today, I bought a speed 400 with the E gearing (they had no more F's). Also bought a 1250 3cell lipo with 15C and some 11*7 and 10*6 props. Hope this will haul more then the stock setup. If this dosn't give me the required ommph, I may think about buying a park brushless 400 and replacing the brushed 400. Anyway off I go to break in the 400.
That's not the best gearing for the SS a G would have been best but the right prop for the SS with that gearing on 3S pack is the 11 X 4.7 not the props you purchased!
boomer
Old Aug 24, 2005, 02:22 PM
Edmonton, AB
Joined Apr 2005
1,422 Posts
Ahhh crap. Maybe I'll hold onto the motor and gearbox, not use it, and go back tommorow and see if I can get a better match.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 03:34 PM
Edmonton, AB
Joined Apr 2005
1,422 Posts
I called the LHS and they said they would have no prob in my returing my motor and stuff for cash or credit. I am getting annoyed with running back and forth to the LHS so heres my situation. I have a 7 ounce camera on the way to be picked up tommorow. I have a 3cell lipo 1250mah with 15C, and the stock SS with the 2cell lipo weighed 16 ounces with camera mount and servo. I am estimating an AUW of 25-30 ounces with camera.

What motor combo should I go with?

I want power to climb quickly and still have decent flight times (1/2 hour or so). I am bitting the bullet and looking for a motor system (esc and motor) in the 200 dollar range. Brushed or brushless. I just need power to know that I can come in close to a house to snap some pics (AP), and still have the go juice to power out without having to baby the plane up.

I really appreciate the help you guys are offering me. So go crazy give my your suggestions and lets get me from to .

Thanks in advance to all you fine SS Guru's and any Master's of Motors.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 03:51 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,848 Posts
I'm going to be building another tail soon, just wondering what the advantage would be of using coroplast over bluecor or vice versa. Don't have to paint coroplast... but does it make a good tail?
bsoder is offline Find More Posts by bsoder
Old Aug 24, 2005, 03:54 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740
I may have to bite the bullet soon and buy something which can get up in a stronger wind and learn ailerons via the crash course.
<snip>
I do suspect I'll be building a GWS Formosa or P-51D shortly... Both seem to be able to handle more wind based on their reveiws and neither will bankrupt me if I break something.
Chris, I agree that the Formosa (which I've built and flown) can handle a good bit of wind without breaking a sweat. I have yet to fly a P-51, but based on its slick aerodynamics and high wing loading, I expect it will handle wind quite well, too.

That said, both those planes are considerably more challenging to fly than a Slow Stick. I learned to fly with a 3-channel Toytronics T-hawk, which is heavier and faster than a Slow Stick, and I am quite sure I would have had nothing but dismal failure if I had attempted to transition from that T-hawk to a Formosa or P-51.

So I'd like to suggest for your consideration an intermediate step: a GWS E-Starter aileron trainer. With its high wing and a large dose of dihedral, it is a very stable plane for the new pilot, but with full 4-channel control, less drag, and more wing loading than a Slow Stick, it will handle considerably more wind. It's not as glamorous as a warbird, but it will likely give you a lot more stick time between crashes.

I flew my E-Starter for months before I graduated to a Formosa. I have never crashed the Formosa in several months of frequent flying...a testament to how much one can learn from the E-Starter!

I built my E-Starter with the stock GWS 350C-CS motor/gearbox, a GWS 9x7 RS prop, and a 2S, 2000 mAh lipo pack. Thirty minute flights were available with throttle management, or twenty plus minutes of charging around, inverted flight, loops, rolls, stall turns, and so on.

Others on RC Groups have gone on to take the dihedral out of the E-Starter wing, thow a brushless motor upgrade in, and make it a higher performance plane. Me, I built a Formosa instead. Either way, I think you'll enjoy the E-Starter.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Old Aug 24, 2005, 04:06 PM
Joined Mar 2005
565 Posts
I think people who have used coroplast before have commented that it's just too heavy.

Thanks,
Jason
Jason Paul is offline Find More Posts by Jason Paul
Old Aug 24, 2005, 04:42 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_118
I called the LHS and they said they would have no prob in my returing my motor and stuff for cash or credit. I am getting annoyed with running back and forth to the LHS so heres my situation. I have a 7 ounce camera on the way to be picked up tommorow. I have a 3cell lipo 1250mah with 15C, and the stock SS with the 2cell lipo weighed 16 ounces with camera mount and servo. I am estimating an AUW of 25-30 ounces with camera.

What motor combo should I go with?

I want power to climb quickly and still have decent flight times (1/2 hour or so). I am bitting the bullet and looking for a motor system (esc and motor) in the 200 dollar range. Brushed or brushless. I just need power to know that I can come in close to a house to snap some pics (AP), and still have the go juice to power out without having to baby the plane up.

I really appreciate the help you guys are offering me. So go crazy give my your suggestions and lets get me from to .

Thanks in advance to all you fine SS Guru's and any Master's of Motors.
Himax outrunner 2816-960 on your 3S lipo with 10 X 4.7 APC SF Prop. I like the 3S 2200 Poly pack for the long flight times but yours will work. That is the very satisfactory setup I have in my present AP Plane. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387807
boomer
Old Aug 24, 2005, 04:43 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Paul
I think people who have used coroplast before have commented that it's just too heavy.

Thanks,
Jason
Jasons right! Too much weight at the tail end!!
boomer