HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2008, 06:25 PM
KJ4WFG
upstate SC
Joined Dec 2007
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badllarma
Ok I've been having real issue with using the thrust mod, basically I used it once and it "seemed" ok.
Next time out hit a tree so needed a rebuild

But! since the rebuild it seems all the mod does is drag the plane down and right? Back into the ground

So back to basics, the bend down and right is to correct the way the prop spins is this correct? But if the prop spins the direction of the bend the bend "should" be to the opposite direction would that be correct?
cheers for any help
Andy
The "right" bend is to counter the "equal and opposite" force when the motor pushes the prop clockwise (looking from the motor). The counterclockwise torque on the motor is transmitted to the airframe and makes it want to bank left. The right offset of the thrust tries to pull the airframe to the right. If you get the correct "right" adjusted thrust angle, then the plane just flies straight when you add throttle.

The high angle of incidence of the wing gives it lots of lift at slow speeds. But at full throttle, the increased airflow adds a bunch of lift and makes the plane want to pitch up severely. If you raise the trailing edge of the wing and get rid of some of the high angle, then you can add throttle without the really severe pop up. A "down" angle on the prop has the same effect - it pulls the plane down to offset the increased lift from air flow across that high angle of incidence wing. So be careful with putting both down angle into the thrust line AND lifting the trailing edge of the wing. If you solve the problem by changing the angle of incidence of the wing, then you lose some of the "slow" part of the Slow Stick.

At least this is my notion of the "why" these changes do what they do. Hope this helps.
modbuilder is offline Find More Posts by modbuilder
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2008, 09:29 PM
Die noctique
Joined May 2007
951 Posts
So looking from the back of the plane the motor should be spinning the prop clock wise is that correct? Which is in the direction of the bend with the thrust mod.
the fuse has just been replaced so that may also have been the issue
Badllarma is offline Find More Posts by Badllarma
Old May 24, 2008, 11:10 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badllarma
So looking from the back of the plane the motor should be spinning the prop clock wise is that correct? Which is in the direction of the bend with the thrust mod.
the fuse has just been replaced so that may also have been the issue
All you are going to do is get yourself confused! Just go by the right and down for the thrust mod. If the prop lettering is on the front and the prop is pulling the plane that is the direction of the correction. If you use a aluminum fuse they are all as crooked as a dogs hind leg. If the fuse is aluminum check to see if the bend in the fuse is adding to the correction. All stock props are made so the motor spins the same way to pull the plane.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old May 25, 2008, 01:48 AM
Die noctique
Joined May 2007
951 Posts
ok
Badllarma is offline Find More Posts by Badllarma
Old May 25, 2008, 12:20 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2005
327 Posts
I'm looking to get a small cheap park flyer to have a bit of fun with.
My question: Pico stick or slow stick?
Thanks
nick.sargeant is online now Find More Posts by nick.sargeant
Old May 25, 2008, 12:24 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,584 Posts
slow stick. One reason I keep my slow stick is that its relaxing to fly, AND because of the slow-G conversion, that turns it into an autogyro (Oh, thats 2 reasons...)
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old May 25, 2008, 12:39 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2005
327 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.
Can you use 2s lipo's with the SS or do you need 3s?
nick.sargeant is online now Find More Posts by nick.sargeant
Old May 25, 2008, 12:54 PM
Joined Oct 2006
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.sargeant
Either one will work fine. 3S provides lots more speed (assuming the motor/ESC can handle 3S) , 2S is great for lazing and floating around. I fly 2S in no/light wind if I don't want a challenge. 3S for more wind and a little more fun.

Even though I consider myself an intermediate pilot (and trying to learn 3D), I still enjoy rolling the Slow Stick out of the hangar every now and then.
John Canfield is offline Find More Posts by John Canfield
Old May 25, 2008, 05:44 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.sargeant
Either will work with the right motor/prop combo. 2s can be just as fast and powerful as 3s, but at a higher amp draw. That's the advantage of 3s, is that you can get the same power and speed with a lower amp draw, which means more run time. I use 3s excursively on my planes, even my slow stick, since, A, they are all brushless, and B, I dont have to buy as high a "c rating" battery as I would with 2s to get the same performance, which = money saved, since I can get a 3s 10C pack for less money than a 15C 2s pack.....
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old May 25, 2008, 11:10 PM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Dacaur- if you need a third reason, You can always go the slow stick X route. No need to get bored with a SS EVER!
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old May 29, 2008, 10:13 PM
Avra Valley Flyers
Tucson, AZ
Joined Mar 2008
104 Posts
Need some input

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie and I am looking to get a second plane sometime soon. I already own an Easystar and I have a Spektrum DX6 TX. I want another plane to fly as my Easystar is charging. The two planes that I am looking at are the Slowstick and the Mini Mag. I want the Slowstick mainly so that I can get into the building aspect of the hobby. I want the Mini Mag because it would give me room to grow and it is an overall nice plane. I will probably end up getting both sometime down the road, but I am wondering which plane would be better to own first?

Thanks,

Brent
Leah'sHeli is online now Find More Posts by Leah'sHeli
Old May 29, 2008, 10:22 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
Well your asking this question in the Slow Stick thread so you know what answer you will mostlikely get. But, I like being on the edge so I vote for the Minimag because it comes as a 3 or 4 channel high wing trainer and can handle a lot more wind then the Slow Stick can. You can also look at the GWS Estarter, which can be had as a slope kit without power system for $25.00 @ Gravesrchobbies.com and it's quite similar to the Minimag, the foam isn't quite as good, but it's a nice 4 channel trainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent21
Hi everyone,

I am a newbie and I am looking to get a second plane sometime soon. I already own an Easystar and I have a Spektrum DX6 TX. I want another plane to fly as my Easystar is charging. The two planes that I am looking at are the Slowstick and the Mini Mag. I want the Slowstick mainly so that I can get into the building aspect of the hobby. I want the Mini Mag because it would give me room to grow and it is an overall nice plane. I will probably end up getting both sometime down the road, but I am wondering which plane would be better to own first?

Thanks,

Brent
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
Old May 29, 2008, 10:39 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,187 Posts
I have both and have flown an Easy Star a bunch. They are all pretty different planes with attributes to each. The SS is.....slow....unless you end up being one of the legion that tries to make a jet out of it. Nice close in trainer and fun to play with. Does not like much wind.

MiniMag is much faster, well built and conceived, tougher, and is a great aileron trainer.

The SS will likely teach you more about building since you really do have to build it, plus you have the joy of dealing with lousy Chinese manuals. Fortunately there are great builds on the forums.

MM is much more simple to build, and well thought out being German. The 400 stock motor is STUPID and should not even be considered. Same motor as the ES on a plane that deserves a lot more power. Lots of discussions on alternatives for that also.

fly
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old May 29, 2008, 10:39 PM
Avra Valley Flyers
Tucson, AZ
Joined Mar 2008
104 Posts
Thanks mtdoramike! I will look at the Estarter also. Yeah, I probably should of put this into a new thread, but I see so many beginner help me threads, that I didn't want to create another one...lol
Old May 29, 2008, 10:42 PM
Avra Valley Flyers
Tucson, AZ
Joined Mar 2008
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydiver
I have both and have flown an Easy Star a bunch. They are all pretty different planes with attributes to each. The SS is.....slow....unless you end up being one of the legion that tries to make a jet out of it. Nice close in trainer and fun to play with. Does not like much wind.

MiniMag is much faster, well built and conceived, tougher, and is a great aileron trainer.

The SS will likely teach you more about building since you really do have to build it, plus you have the joy of dealing with lousy Chinese manuals. Fortunately there are great builds on the forums.

MM is much more simple to build, and well thought out being German. The 400 stock motor is STUPID and should not even be considered. Same motor as the ES on a plane that deserves a lot more power. Lots of discussions on alternatives for that also.

fly
I think for now the MiniMag would be a better bet for me. I may end up getting a Slowstick for xmas or something to tinker with once I have more experience. Thanks for the great help guys!