HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:45 PM
Jim in the Desert
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
If you get the Millennium RC wing mount set found halfway down this page, you wouldn't even hafta reinforce it as the plastic in the gear area is thicker and made of a stronger material. These wing mounts also have better hooks for your "rubber bangers"
Hm those do look good but I like the idea of having the gear movable independently from the wing. Thanks...
Jim
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:24 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9 View Post
Hm those do look good but I like the idea of having the gear movable independently from the wing. Thanks...
Jim
I understand the desire to move the gear forward independently from the wing, but there's nothing keeping you from cutting the upper wing mount part off one of those just as you would a stock piece.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:50 PM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
I understand the desire to move the gear forward independently from the wing, but there's nothing keeping you from cutting the upper wing mount part off one of those just as you would a stock piece.
You're definitely right, but I think the stock piece with zip ties and some CA or Gorilla will be strong enough. But, if not this is a go to, thanks.
Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:10 AM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
My solution is padding between the stick and metal landing gear. On one plane I wrapped the stick with electrical tape and secured the gear with a hose clamp. On another, I sandwiched the gear between 2-sided tape pads and secured it with zip ties.
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined Jan 2007
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1379 View Post
My solution is padding between the stick and metal landing gear. On one plane I wrapped the stick with electrical tape and secured the gear with a hose clamp. On another, I sandwiched the gear between 2-sided tape pads and secured it with zip ties.
+1 on reinforcement and zip ties. use a 3/16 ply the width of the stick and 1 inch long. use 1 zip tie to secure the ply and 3 more to attach the gear. a small screw between the last zip tie and the "U" of the gear wire will keep the whole thing from slipping off. It is important to use the zip tie gun as it is difficult to get the zips tight enough without it.
bubbleman is offline Find More Posts by bubbleman
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:01 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,888 Posts
A solid steel fuse would work very well. You could wire feed weld the landing gear to it
Gohmer is online now Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:05 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
A solid steel fuse would work very well. You could wire feed weld the landing gear to it
Solid Steel Fuse ? I think I've seen that somewhere... oh yeah....
Ad_Astra is offline Find More Posts by Ad_Astra
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:10 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
I thought I was joking,,, but apparently not:

http://www.knminis.com/2011/07/anton...ying-tank.html

"The laughably improbable notion of a flying tank typically brings images of A-10s and Il-2s to mind, but the name of the Antonov ‘Krylya Tanka’( in Russian, “Tank’s Wings”) KT-40 is no metaphor for resilience: it was literally a flying tank. While other nations showed interest in the notion of flying tanks, only the Soviet Union took the idea to the prototype stage, a testament to the wildly ambitious nature of Soviet military experiments.

Developed and tested in 1942, Antonov’s flying tank was intended for use with airborne troops or as an aid to partisans. The durability of tanks (and their crew) was tested by fitting a vehicle underneath a bomber and dropping the tank from various heights, allegedly using POWs as crash test dummies. The only prototype was tested on September 2nd, 1942 by Sergei Anokhin, who described the flight as “surprisingly smooth.” Made cheaply of wood, fabric, and aluminum, the prototype glider was fitted to a T60 light tank, which had its fenders, headlights, ammunition, tools, and excess tracks removed. The glider was pulled aloft by four 4-engine bombers. Two of the bombers were forced to ditch after their engines burned out from the strain of the glider’s weight."
Ad_Astra is offline Find More Posts by Ad_Astra
Last edited by Ad_Astra; Feb 18, 2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Added image
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:09 PM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad_Astra View Post
I thought I was joking,,, but apparently not:

http://www.knminis.com/2011/07/anton...ying-tank.html

"The laughably improbable notion of a flying tank typically brings images of A-10s and Il-2s to mind, but the name of the Antonov ‘Krylya Tanka’( in Russian, “Tank’s Wings”) KT-40 is no metaphor for resilience: it was literally a flying tank. While other nations showed interest in the notion of flying tanks, only the Soviet Union took the idea to the prototype stage, a testament to the wildly ambitious nature of Soviet military experiments.

Developed and tested in 1942, Antonov’s flying tank was intended for use with airborne troops or as an aid to partisans. The durability of tanks (and their crew) was tested by fitting a vehicle underneath a bomber and dropping the tank from various heights, allegedly using POWs as crash test dummies. The only prototype was tested on September 2nd, 1942 by Sergei Anokhin, who described the flight as “surprisingly smooth.” Made cheaply of wood, fabric, and aluminum, the prototype glider was fitted to a T60 light tank, which had its fenders, headlights, ammunition, tools, and excess tracks removed. The glider was pulled aloft by four 4-engine bombers. Two of the bombers were forced to ditch after their engines burned out from the strain of the glider’s weight."

Wow, you presaged your own self. That's some kind of vodoo.

I want to know, where's the bathroom?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:03 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
I finally got my 6.4oz slow stick flying.

It was easier than I originally thought. I just got in touch with GorillaBobsRC.com and put in an order for a new GWS Micro Slow Stick.

This plane is an easy build for anyone familiar with a regular slow stick. As per somewhat standard procedure with slow sticks, the first thing I did was start swapping parts. The brushed/geared set-up was replaced by a custom wound Turnigy BNR 2730 brushless (Blue wonder style) motor turning a black GWS 7060 Slow-fly style prop. It'll use small 2S lipos, 350-800 or so mah. Servos are a pair of used Dymond D47 servos I had in the parts box. This is all plugged into a hobby king "minima compatible" 5CH postage stamp sized 2.4g RX utilizing "picoblade" connectors. From what I've been told, the Futaba micro connectors use this same "picoblade" connector.

I slid stuff around and set the CG at the AFT end of the reccomendation. The recommended CG is 60mm behind the TE, with a suggestion that the acceptable range is 55-65mm. I marked the wing 65mm from the LE, and balanced a mm or two in front of that. The plane came off the ground without much more than a nudge.

I think I set the control throws too high. I ALMOST splattered it. I brought it down gently, but quickly, then dialed in a bunch of EXPO. It went back up, but still wasn't anywhere near being dialed in. I made a few circuits, then set it down. I've already reduced the throws mechanically, by moving the pushrod connection further out on the control horn.

It was too dark to fly in the first place, so any more flights will have to wait until tomorrow.

This power set-up is WAY more than this plane needs. I may end up changing props. Also thinking about how to implement LEDs for night flying with my dad and his night Vapor. That should be fun,
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:16 PM
Re-Kitting Expert :o
Bullhead City, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
1,673 Posts
Where are the photos?
GorillaBob is offline Find More Posts by GorillaBob
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:47 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,259 Posts
Yeah, you forgot the pics. I bought some LEDs for my micro and ended up putting them on my bigger Slow Stick!

For all you MSS enthusiasts - join the lovers and haters of this fine aircraft over in the Parkflyers forum
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:20 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
I originally got the kit from the guys at AEF. At that time, there were no threads about the MSS. I had plans of doing a full video build log, test flight, and general review. I even posted a question to the mods about becoming a RCG reviewer. Then I realized I had a DLG competition coming up, and spent an awfully long time getting planes ready for that.

During that time I realized I really do not enjoy "having" to put planes together. Despite having invested a few hours of my time already, I scrapped the idea of the whole video build log review thing, and just slapped the MSS together mostly stock. It was "too dark" when I maiden-ed it. I didn't dare fly it above the street light, but didn't have any problems keeping it low. I couldn't get any decent pics of it, and forgot to search for new threads when I posted. I'll keep MSS posts over there.

On a SS related note, I also picked up a beefy CF fuse. I'm gonna build something of a hot rod with it, but nothing absurd. First, I've got to finish 2 1/2 DLG builds in the next few weeks. I hate having to build to a deadline.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:36 PM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
I originally got the kit from the guys at AEF. At that time, there were no threads about the MSS. I had plans of doing a full video build log, test flight, and general review. I even posted a question to the mods about becoming a RCG reviewer. Then I realized I had a DLG competition coming up, and spent an awfully long time getting planes ready for that.

During that time I realized I really do not enjoy "having" to put planes together. Despite having invested a few hours of my time already, I scrapped the idea of the whole video build log review thing, and just slapped the MSS together mostly stock. It was "too dark" when I maiden-ed it. I didn't dare fly it above the street light, but didn't have any problems keeping it low. I couldn't get any decent pics of it, and forgot to search for new threads when I posted. I'll keep MSS posts over there.

On a SS related note, I also picked up a beefy CF fuse. I'm gonna build something of a hot rod with it, but nothing absurd. First, I've got to finish 2 1/2 DLG builds in the next few weeks. I hate having to build to a deadline.
Why do you have to have so many DLGs for the competition?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:51 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
Both my dad and I fly, and we break a lot of planes. DLGs can be very fragile, and both of us can be very clumsy. BTW, the 3 new planes will be both mine and my dad's first "new" DLGs; all the other DLGs we've owned have been previously used and abused. With these new planes entering the rotation, 3 older planes will taken out of competition or sold/given to new guys to learn to throw with. I'm looking forward to getting all of that out of the way, so I can go back to futzing with parkies. I've got piles of parts just sitting around waiting to be assembled into a new flying toy.

Now that MSS is put together, I'm looking at cobbling together a Sporty Slow Stick. Like I did on my dad's "Bee-Stick", I'm going to make foam ribs, and "sheet" the bottom with depron. I'll likely use some 3mm for the ribs, but not sure what to do on the bottom, just yet. I plan on putting the servo's inside the wing and doing "top-drive" ailerons. I'd like to try to do a semi-symmetrical wing, but not quite sure how I'd do that. Built up tails, of some sort. I'm figuring around 200W should make it a lot of fun.
Last edited by carlsoti; Feb 19, 2013 at 06:14 PM.