HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:29 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkfoamer View Post
i went to 2200 once with s/s but that was FPV. Not even sure i would be able to see a speck at that altitude. FAA has rule to stay below 400 ft when closer than 5 mi. from airport. Dont know what the rules are TODAY for greater distances from airports....took about 10 minutes to glide dead stick down to ground...
My field altitude is 5000 ft and I have no problem flying a SS with stock power. I have even flown it from a field altitude of 9000 ft up on the mountain a few miles from my house.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:58 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,073 Posts
I used 60 second epoxy on both stabs after the H stab came loose causing a high speed lawn dart. I considered contact cement too, but I was worried that it might dissolve the foam and I had no scrap to test. Hot glue is another option.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:37 PM
Florida
Joined Dec 2008
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
My field altitude is 5000 ft and I have no problem flying a SS with stock power. I have even flown it from a field altitude of 9000 ft up on the mountain a few miles from my house.

Larry
Cool, but we are talking about altitude above the ground here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
Forget the short hops, just gas it and get it up high so you have time to get out of a problem.
You're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
I felt the same way when I started flying RC but now sorta agree with Raften. Altitude is your friend. Looking back I feel that my early timidness slowed the learning process down a lot.

If you have an experienced flyer that can check your plane to verify that the controls are working right and the CG is OK that would be good. Having someone else maiden it for you might also be good if both of you are comfortable with that but be sure the person is qualified. I have heard more than one story about a well-meaning volunteer crashing the maiden and then blaming it on a poor build.

If it helps to keep you in your comfort zone do a short flight or two, then get it up to a couple hundred feet or more and start feeling it out. Having plenty of room to fly without worrying about hitting trees, etc is important so use the largest field available.

Most tend to over-control in the beginning so start with throws dialed back to 1/3 or so.

Best of luck.
Unfortunately I had to use a small field since the larger one was being used, but I'm glad to report everything went as well as could be expected, no crashes I definitely need to get out to a bigger field this weekend so I can get some altitude. I caught myself over-correcting like you said.

First impressions were, this is a FastStick, not a SlowStick- but then I have a brushless motor and a big battery... also, I hate the landing gear, it gets stuck and bent so easily. That has got to be the first major upgrade, floppy wires and plastic fake wheels are not going to cut it...

My hours spent in front of the FMS simulator paid off, the plane behaved very much like in the sim.
K466 is offline Find More Posts by K466
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:06 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Glad you had a good flight. I fly mostly in a area that has a five acre lawn so I don't bother with wheels on a SS. Never broken a prop that I remember and most of the time I don' use a prop saver. Height is your friend and sometimes a foe. We have had over a week of great flying weather and I have managed to crash every flyable plane I own so don't take me as any great voice of flying skills. But I had a really good time flying.
Raften is online now Find More Posts by Raften
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:08 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K466 View Post
Cool, but we are talking about altitude above the ground here

You're right

Unfortunately I had to use a small field since the larger one was being used, but I'm glad to report everything went as well as could be expected, no crashes I definitely need to get out to a bigger field this weekend so I can get some altitude. I caught myself over-correcting like you said.

First impressions were, this is a FastStick, not a SlowStick- but then I have a brushless motor and a big battery... also, I hate the landing gear, it gets stuck and bent so easily. That has got to be the first major upgrade, floppy wires and plastic fake wheels are not going to cut it...

My hours spent in front of the FMS simulator paid off, the plane behaved very much like in the sim.
Congrats! Always like hearing success stories
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:53 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Hey, my SS is about a year and a half old and the double-sided tape that seemed like such a neat trick for attaching the vertical stab is now allowing movement where there should be none.

Anybody have a similar problem? How did you attach your fin? I'm going with contact adhesive and will deal with the mess when I have to rebuild the thing. Guess I should have expected the GWS double sided tape to be as bad as the single sided junk that I tossed out when I built her. And then, maybe 18 months isn't an unreasonable life expectancy for tape.
Mine is still solidly mounted after seven years, from using the GWS tape.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:33 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Mine is still solidly mounted after seven years, from using the GWS tape.
That is amazing. I'm guessing it has to do with the climate. It gets hot enough here that I can't even store tape outside. Lost a bag of low temp glue sticks by leaving them on the deck for a few hours last week.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:51 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
Between the heat and the UV in AZ I've had tape go funky too. I'm not surprised it does the same thing in other southern states. The first SS I built for my dad used "extreme" FG packing tape to hold the LE and TE wing supports to the wing. That went crispy and lost all adhesion after 2 years. Luckily it peeled right off without damaging the wing at all. So we put more of the same right back on it. By mid summer, it might need to be redone again, though it gets much less UV now that he's absorbed in flying DLG.

I was advised to use 5min epoxy, measured out on a gram scale, to mount the vert. It's held up just fine.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Last edited by carlsoti; Feb 05, 2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:44 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
I don't understand the gram scale part.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:05 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
Most epoxies need a specific amount of each part to be the most effective. Typical hobby shop epoxy is BSI. They have instructions that more or less say mix at 1:1 +/- 10%. A buddy challenged me to try to mix this ratio by eye. The closest I could get was about 15%, and usually it was 20%, due to the differing mass of each part of he epoxy. If you use a gram scale, you can get it dead-nutz every time.

I've never had a mix not work (get spongy or just never set) since I started weighing the mixture.

In short, tare the weight of whatever you're mixing in or on (paper plate, dixie cup, etc.) add x amount of part a, add the exact same amount, by weight, of part b. Mix thoroughly, add fillers if necessary, apply. Done.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:39 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K466 View Post
First impressions were, this is a FastStick, not a SlowStick- but then I have a brushless motor and a big battery...
I assure you it's a slow stick. The heavy undercamber and all the drag created by the 'not-a-fuselage' guarantee it. I has a speed limit which, without proper reinforcement, if you exceed you *will* break something in flight. Rather spectacularly too.

(Only the cell count, not the mA, make a battery 'big.' Cells are speed, mA are duration.)

Quote:
also, I hate the landing gear, it gets stuck and bent so easily.
RadicalRC.com make an extensive line of laser-plywood hop-ups and add-ons for SS. But their website 'find a part' and search are *horrible*. This page, scroll down a bit to 'slow stick main gear mount kit.' http://www.radicalrc.com/search/slow...Cat/249/rec/48

Beyond that you can put 'slow stick' in the search box and get all the hits, but how you get to those parts via the menus I can never remember from one time to the next that I look at the site.

That LG good up to about 1.5#. Beyond that I used the same design but upped the ante on plywood thickness and piano wire size

Dubro wheels, add bushing inside that to prevent metal from wearing out the plastic, and it's good forever.

The speed/power thing, see http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc_e.htm and plug in your battery, weight, motor, and prop info. Then look at the calculated thrust/weight and prop speed.

You -can- overpower any airplane. SS is so light that's very easy to do. It's not hard to gain enough speed to flutter the wings and explode them, or with added weight a simple loop folding the wing. Power is good, for easy climbing and getting out of trouble when you find yourself in a tight spot, just be careful with it.
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:36 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
That is amazing. I'm guessing it has to do with the climate. It gets hot enough here that I can't even store tape outside. Lost a bag of low temp glue sticks by leaving them on the deck for a few hours last week.
It can be 100 degrees here in the summer and I have been known to leave the plane in the car, but probably the biggest reason it hasn't come loose is I pretty much never have anything but an extremely soft landing with it. I used the GWS tape which reminds me of carpet tape - it's basically glue on film. It seems to work well if you do it right. I have the horizontal tail screwed on with the plastic thingy.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:54 AM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Thanks for the explanation carlsoti.
I need to get one of the electronic scales, my old triple beam is too big to leave around the work area.
Last edited by Raften; Feb 06, 2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:33 AM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
Thanks for the explanation carlsoti.
I need to get one of the electronic scales, my old triple beam is too big to leave around the work area.
3-beam? C'mon man get with the new millennium. LOL!! This is the exact scale I got at local tobacco shop. Notice 0.1g accuracy - that is not easy to do with 3-beam. 1 or sometimes 2 drops of epoxy is enough to click up to the next 0.x.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superior-Bal...item337e1c6607

The manufacturer's page says 10 year warranty:

http://www.superiorbalances.com/inde...&products_id=7

I'm totally tickled by it. I have *never* had such accurate epoxy mixes.

The only drawback is that it times out and shuts off after 60sec even as I am still squirting epoxy into cup. I wrote to manufacturer to see if I can change that timeout or better yet shut it off but haven't heard from them yet so will try again.
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:55 AM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Well the triple beam has a lot of history with me, it weighed a lot of gold. But yea, I need a new scale.