Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:26 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorae View Post
Great work!

I did something similar, but your's is way nicer than mine.

I ended up with an overall design very close to yours. Including the one servo for the rudder, and the support between the two sticks where you mounted a camera. My support is just a stiff wire, though.

I think you will like flying it. Mine uses 2 1300 3S batteries, and 400 size motors and 8 inch props, and flies quite well at half throttle.
Mine weighs in at 49.40 ounces. That's AUW with a couple 3S 2200s. Camera included: 53.90. However, it's got a staggering 788" wing area that makes for a decent 9oz/sq.in. wing loading. I am really looking forward to taking it for a spin.

Still need to devise a method of remotely triggering the camera in flight, which will probably just consist of mounting a servo to the cam with double sided tape to trip the shutter. Originally I was gonna use a small digital camera with an intervalometer so that I can set it to snap a pic at any given interval, but they're more hard to find than I thought. The servo method is the way to go anyway as it would eliminate a lot unwanted shot.

Do you run your batts in parallel?

Do your motors spin the same direction or do you feel the need to counter spin one another?
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:12 AM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,137 Posts
One of the easiest ways to trigger a camera is a GentLED. I use one with a Pentax Optio S10.
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:19 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,277 Posts
Yeah thanks Chris. My particular cam is not comparable with 'em, but I assure you my next one will be.

Do you shoot pics from your SS?
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Sep 2008
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
you run your batts in parallel?

Do your motors spin the same direction or do you feel the need to counter spin one another?
I plug one battery into each ESC.

Same direction. I don't think I would notice any difference with counter rotating props.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:23 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorae View Post
I plug one battery into each ESC.
I'm plugging each battery into their own respective ESC too, but I would probably sleep easier at night if I run balance wires from one ESC to the other. This would ensure that the motors will spin at the same RPM even if the two batteries' charged values varies a bit from one to the other.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Sep 2008
675 Posts
I think it is pretty forgiving. With all that wing it can't fly very fast. So I don't think you need to worry to much that the rpm is exactly the same. As long as the motors and props are identical, you'll be good.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:17 PM
What The...
Greensburg IN
Joined Sep 2003
87 Posts
Took it up today.

Thanks to all who posted in this thread and elsewhere.
Just got it together enough to fly it. Still need to sort a couple of things out and add a camera. It was a miserable day today. Rainy with a 10 to 15 mph wind but I walked outside about noon to find the wind at almost zero and not actively raining so I strapped on the battery and had at it. I have the wrong prop on it its about a 10x7 apc on the turnigy 480 850kv. Only pulls about 11 amps full throttle but it had plenty of power. Once I prop it up correctly It should really haul some freight. It is almost completly aftermarket. The only stock parts are the wing foam and one main wheel I used for the tail wheel. I think the wing is warped a little as it wants to turn right power off and it takes almost full left trim to get it to glide straight. But it was sitting in a shed for about five years so I kinda expected it although I cant really see it by eye.
I got it a little muddy landing in the field but it was a lot of fun.
Name: ss3.jpg
Views: 115
Size: 91.1 KB
Description:
Name: ss1.jpg
Views: 86
Size: 94.3 KB
Description:
Bernip is offline Find More Posts by Bernip
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:28 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
Yeah thanks Chris. My particular cam is not comparable with 'em, but I assure you my next one will be.

Do you shoot pics from your SS?
I did a lot at first but don't have much time to fly these days with my hours at work. I like to find interesting scenery and then hunt up a landing spot nearby.
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:41 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,210 Posts
Whoo Hoo! Page 1000. Neato.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:41 AM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
I'm just about finished with my slow stick and wanted to check with guys on preferred CG of this plane. The manual says 95-100mm from the LE.... Are those measurement working for everyone?
SOOFLY is online now Find More Posts by SOOFLY
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:45 AM
United States, MN, Chaska
Joined Sep 2011
526 Posts
I was given a slow stick earlier this year but never got around to using it. I have now passed it on to someone brand new to planes. The only thing needed to fly is a battery, receiver and radio. The gentleman was nice enough to include, motor, props, etc... The motor is
Ripper Outrunner OBL 2928/09 can anyone recommend a battery for this plane?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everyone has been so helpful on the forums here.
drcigg is offline Find More Posts by drcigg
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:11 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOOFLY View Post
I'm just about finished with my slow stick and wanted to check with guys on preferred CG of this plane. The manual says 95-100mm from the LE.... Are those measurement working for everyone?
My experience is that if you balance it on the aft location, the plane will float a lot more than the forward location. It penetrates wind a lot better in the forward position. with power off, in the forward position, the nose drops and does not come back up, it's not a fast descent, but one you will have to pay attention to.
Bill0 is online now Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:13 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcigg View Post
I was given a slow stick earlier this year but never got around to using it. I have now passed it on to someone brand new to planes. The only thing needed to fly is a battery, receiver and radio. The gentleman was nice enough to include, motor, props, etc... The motor is
Ripper Outrunner OBL 2928/09 can anyone recommend a battery for this plane?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everyone has been so helpful on the forums here.
I'm not familiar with that motor, but if it's compatible with a 3 cell, I would think anything from a 1300 to a 2200mah would be fine.
Bill0 is online now Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, MN, Chaska
Joined Sep 2011
526 Posts
Thank you very much
drcigg is offline Find More Posts by drcigg
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:59 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill0 View Post
My experience is that if you balance it on the aft location, the plane will float a lot more than the forward location. It penetrates wind a lot better in the forward position. with power off, in the forward position, the nose drops and does not come back up, it's not a fast descent, but one you will have to pay attention to.
Thanks Bill0.... I'll start somewhere in the middle for the maiden and then test the forward / aft CG's positions and see where I like it better.

I ended up making the wing completely flat and replaced the stock spars with three 4mm thick carbon hollowed spars. I then fiberglasses the carbon rods to the wing using fiberglass tape and polycrylic. The wing is solid as a rock and has almost no flex at all.

She's gonna be on the heavy side with all the X-gear, ailerons and reinforcements I've made. Hopefully the 450 motor ( 890kv) will pull its weight.

I'll post some picks when I finish up
SOOFLY is online now Find More Posts by SOOFLY