HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2005, 02:48 PM
Trying to learn 3D flying
Seattle, WA
Joined Nov 2004
102 Posts
TREC ESC question. Not working properly?

Hi,

I am a newbie with a Dragonfly FP. The receiver is GWS 6 channel, GWS PG-03 Piezo Gyro, TREC DDV2 ESC, main motor is Feigo Brushless.

My question is that is the tail motor supposed to turn when the main rotor is rotating? The tail motor does work and turn on only when the tail is spinning but when the tail motor is turning, the tail is still spinning?

I have also played around with the PG-03 gyro gain and setup setting, however that does not help.

Is there something I am supposed to do with the TREC ESC? Any help is really appreciated.

--Jason
jasoncy2k is offline Find More Posts by jasoncy2k
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2005, 04:25 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2005
845 Posts
does that tx have revo mixing?
theShark is offline Find More Posts by theShark
Old Aug 19, 2005, 05:43 PM
MI
Joined Jan 2005
611 Posts
If I'm understanding your question right, then the tail motor should be spinning all the time in flight. If the tail stops completely in flight the heli will piro left very fast. The tail needs to constantly be working to counter the torque from the main motor in flight. Your tail motor driven heli has a fixed pitch rotor, so can only adjust its thrust by speeding up or slowing down. In a right turn, the tail speeds up to overpower the main motor torque. In a left turn, the tail slows down to allow the main motor torque to turn the heli. When the tail is holding the heli straight, the tail is spinning fast enough to produce exactly enough thrust to counter the main's torque.
uav51 is offline Find More Posts by uav51
Old Aug 19, 2005, 06:12 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,162 Posts
You need to adjust the TREC to provide the right amount of tail rotor power to counteract the torque of the main rotor. Have you read the EHBG thread at the top of this forum?
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Aug 19, 2005, 06:41 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonystott
You need to adjust the TREC to provide the right amount of tail rotor power to counteract the torque of the main rotor. Have you read the EHBG thread at the top of this forum?
Yep. He needs the TREC with the mix kit and the little programming board to set the revo mix.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Aug 20, 2005, 02:27 AM
Trying to learn 3D flying
Seattle, WA
Joined Nov 2004
102 Posts
revo mix?

Hi,

I bought the heli used from ebay. I did not get the little board to program the TREC esc. I guess that's where my problem is.

What is the most economical way to get the tail mix right. I mean, I don't know how much the mix kit/TREC board cost. Perhaps I can get a mixing board to to do the mixing and use my spare 5amp esc. What should i do?

--Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMorita
Yep. He needs the TREC with the mix kit and the little programming board to set the revo mix.

Toshi
jasoncy2k is offline Find More Posts by jasoncy2k
Old Aug 21, 2005, 09:46 PM
Joined Dec 2004
75 Posts
jasoncy2k,

This probably isn't the most economical way, but here is what I would do...
I would buy a Futaba GY401 Gyro. Now you would have a HH Gyro that the tail will stay rock steady, also no need for revo mixing.

I have a GY401 Gyro, TREC ESC and a DD CN12-RXC tail motor with a 4530 prop and adapter. Tail motors last long and no tail drifting.

I found the best price for a Brand New Futaba GY401 Gyro on eBay for $114.95 and Free shipping. This price is almost as cheap as the GY240.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5993601312

Novak
KidNovak is offline Find More Posts by KidNovak