HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2005, 11:59 PM
Micro Brushless crazy
India, Bangalore
Joined Jul 2002
1,012 Posts
36gm Micro BL delta

I started work on this plane 6 months back, but had no time to complete it, till now, that is. It's not particularly built to look good or anything, and during those 6 months it had collected a lot of dust.

Mighty Midget single stack 10/3/32T 2 cell motor
2S Kokam 145's
Lightned micro servos ~3gms each.
Lightned BA Rx ~2.1gm
YGE 4 BL ESC ~2.5gms
~80sq.in Wing area, so ~wing loading of 2.3oz/sq ft.

I built the motor mount before I got Bob's beautiful motor mounts, it's still pretty easy to change motors. I also plan on mounting a double whopper on it sometime. Should do great with AUW of ~40gms and 60+gms of thrust

AUW with 3*2 prop ~36gms. It has close to 1:1 thrust to weight with the 3*2 prop, and in excess of 1:1 thrust to weight with the 4*2.5 prop, which I'll try once I get it flying.

Here's a picture:

Should do nicely with the Falcon setup!

Any predictions? If all goes well, I'll have some video and more pics soon.

-Uttam
Uttam1 is offline Find More Posts by Uttam1
Last edited by Uttam1; Aug 19, 2005 at 12:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2005, 12:05 AM
Bangalore Hindustan, India
Joined Apr 2003
593 Posts
simply.....superb with that mmuch power iam sure its would shoot out sight soon...
put a coin or a pen at the side of the picture to get an idea of the size ur talking about

good luck ot the maiden...
keep us posted
Prashanth
Prashanth is offline Find More Posts by Prashanth
Old Aug 19, 2005, 12:15 AM
Micro Brushless crazy
India, Bangalore
Joined Jul 2002
1,012 Posts
Tnx, if the winds stop howling, and the fields get free, I'll let you all know soon
Old Aug 19, 2005, 03:05 AM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,091 Posts
Thats cool. That tiny motor seems to be the best choice for "really small" models. Meanwhile it is even hard to tell what size someone is talking about, when talking about micro. Whats the wingspan uttam? And could you tell me the outer diameter of the motor. I am thinking of integrating one inside an edf40 rotor. Have done the same thing with a cdrom and the microfan. Will there be a 6 magnet pole version of the motor? Would be perfect for nano edfs...
Chris T is offline Find More Posts by Chris T
Old Aug 19, 2005, 04:23 AM
Micro Brushless crazy
India, Bangalore
Joined Jul 2002
1,012 Posts
Sorry about that Chris. I should have mentioned. The span is 14". It's basically a delta wing with a semi symmetric section.

The Outer Diameter of the motor is just a wee bit more than 13mm. What sort of KV's are you looking for in the motor for the small EDF? I'm not sure about the 6 pole design. We have experimented with a few 6 pole designs, and they produced phenominal thrust and rpm's on a GWS 2.5*1 prop! If the demand for small EDF's is good, we might work something out

-Uttam
Old Aug 19, 2005, 06:01 AM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,091 Posts
Uttam, the KV of 6000+ is not bad, for edf could be a little higher, depending on the amount of lipos you want to use. The Problem with the 12 Magnet config for edf is, that rpm limit is about 22500 because of the max. commutation rate of controllers. I am rather aiming for 45000rpm in a 30mm edf (I forgot to mention, that I want to cut down the edf40 to 30mm)... That would be possible with 6 magnets. I wouldn't mind making a test unit, if I had the parts. Is it possible to buy a self build kit (rotor, magnets, stator, ...) of the mighty midget or could you supply me with the parts? I would definitely present my results...
I would also be willing to buy one of your 6pole test units if it is possible to disassemble and rewind it for optimization.

Still have to check if the motor fits inside the edf40 rotor. Anybody knows the inner diameter of that fan rotor? The outer diameter looks like 14mm as I can see in the technical drawing of GWS. It might be a tight fit...

BTW, there certainly will be the demand for nano edfs. It's just a question of time. But you could be the first to supply a commercial brushless edf motor of this size...
Chris T is offline Find More Posts by Chris T
Last edited by Chris T; Aug 24, 2005 at 09:21 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 08:06 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,429 Posts
Uttam,
Nice Delta. Good to see it ready to fly.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Aug 19, 2005, 10:22 PM
Micro Brushless crazy
India, Bangalore
Joined Jul 2002
1,012 Posts
Gordon,

Thanks. I hope to fly it very soon.

Chris, We'll see what we can work out, I'll send you a PM.

-Uttam
Old Aug 29, 2005, 12:34 AM
Micro Brushless crazy
India, Bangalore
Joined Jul 2002
1,012 Posts
Test Flight

OK, last week we got an opportunity to test fly the delta. Cutting a long story short, the plane nosed in after a stall, just after launch, due to a RX glitch. This was the Blue Arrow RX. When we got back home, range with motor on was just one foot. I dumped the RX and lightned a GWS R4-P. The plane had some minor damage in the front, fixed this in a couple of minutes. Weight is at 37gms now, the R4-P is a bit heavier.

2nd test flight today morning, there was some breeze. Dad lunched the Delta and I was trying a powered glide, just to check trims. I was at < 1/4th throttle, the plane got to 6" from the ground when I decided to power up to half throttle. The plane shot up like nothing I've seen before Our Mighty Midget motor provides power in excess for this little model. I never got a chance to floor the throttle. It flies VERY smooth, and flies very fast! control response is great. The flight was short, just a minute because the local kids went beserk and ran after the model. But at 1/2 throttle, the plane climbs very strong. We'll fly it at the same airfield we fly our larger planes sometime in the next few days. I will post pics and videos soon This plane does not care about the breeze.

This ones a keeper

An excited,
Uttam
Last edited by Uttam1; Aug 29, 2005 at 12:42 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 05:17 AM
Bangalore, India
Joined Nov 2003
151 Posts
Congrats! Glad you are back flying. Winds have really died down this week, would love to see the mighty midget in action

-- Rajesh
Rajesh L G is offline Find More Posts by Rajesh L G
Old Aug 29, 2005, 11:12 AM
Bangalore Hindustan, India
Joined Apr 2003
593 Posts
wow congrats uttam
nice to hear that it flies so well
Prashanth
Prashanth is offline Find More Posts by Prashanth
Old Aug 29, 2005, 11:26 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,455 Posts
is that wing eps? or epp?
looks really nice, i might try one when i get the funding to buy the equipment
about how fast would you say its going?

Derrik
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Aug 29, 2005, 11:57 AM
Micro Brushless crazy
India, Bangalore
Joined Jul 2002
1,012 Posts
Rajesh, PT, thanks. Hope you guys get to see it fly real soon.

Derrik, It's all EPS. I wish I had EPP here, the lowest density EPP should do great.

About how fast it flies, more than fast, it's very smooth, a video will do all this justice. I'll try to have one soon

-Uttam
Old Oct 11, 2005, 06:34 AM
Micro Brushless crazy
India, Bangalore
Joined Jul 2002
1,012 Posts
Hi all,

I posted this in the working BL models thread too:

Video of the delta here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1

It's an absolute joy to fly