HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2005, 09:52 PM
AMA#845099
Spokane Felts Fld, Washington, United States
Joined May 2004
103 Posts
Can Anyone tell me what size this Rossi is?

I was given this motor with an unassembled old Das Ugly Stick.
I can not find any markings whatsoever on it, just says Rossi on th side. Looks very new, good compression, maybe never run. Header and pipe with it is something I have never seen before with the pipe riveted onto the header, there is a smaller pipe inside of the main pipe. Small screw on the side of the header, not sure what that does?

Any help would be appreciated.
I can take closeups of the engine if that would help identify it.
Thanks In advance!!
Ragemaster is offline Find More Posts by Ragemaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2005, 07:11 AM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,866 Posts
Looks to me like the Rossi 40. This is one of the older ones (more than 8 years old). Newer ones had a different (longer) pipe design.

Rossi made great performing engines. I think they went under about five years ago but restarted recently.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Aug 19, 2005, 05:20 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2004
25 Posts
I got that exact engine. a friend gave me two Rossi's with tuned pipes their are in the .40 range but I not sure where. .40 .45.46???? But I've seen his run and the screemmmmmmm!!
Cdale03 is offline Find More Posts by Cdale03
Last edited by Cdale03; Aug 19, 2005 at 10:31 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 05:25 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Looks like my Rossi .40, which is a very powerful motor.
It's best run on no more than 5% fuel, according to Rossi.
I use 10% in mine.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2005, 08:11 PM
AMA#845099
Joined May 2004
103 Posts
Thanks Guys,
I grabbed some cool power 5% for it, what plugs do you guys use?
I have a bunch of OS 8's so that is what I will try tonight.
I was told this motor is for pylon racing, might be a bit much on this Ugly stick, but hey I can always throttle back, right?
Hope this pipe isn't too loud, the field I fly at is kinda picky about noise.
I grew up with nitro CL planes but have spent the last few years doing electrics, so this is my first entry back into nitro, I am excited. Is it true what I am told about stuffing steel wool into the pipe to quiet it down?
Old Aug 19, 2005, 09:32 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Try it first.
I run a 9x8 thin APC on mine, in an Evans Simitar.
Oodles of git-up-and-go!
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2005, 10:56 PM
AMA#845099
Joined May 2004
103 Posts
From what I hear about this engine I think I want to slow go with a bigger prop?
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:22 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
895 Posts
Had one of these in a sports pylon model years ago. Heaps of power but it throttled really nicely & idled great.

Bad news about the pipe, starts off loud & just gets louder as the crappy pop rivets shake loose. I made up a second muffler & attached it to the first with it mounted on the fuselage. Perhaps a header pipe & a silenced tuned pipe is the answer. - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:56 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,036 Posts
It could be the Rossi 45 because mine looks just like yours and no size marked on it either. If you've got the original box it'll be marked either R40 or R45. I guess the only other way to know for sure is to take the head off and measure the bore size. If it's 22.4mm (0.882") then it's a 45.

I've never been into fast models so I've only used an 11x5 prop and zero nitro. It's a one flick hand starter and behaves beautifully.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Aug 20, 2005, 08:21 PM
AMA#845099
Joined May 2004
103 Posts
I wish I had a box, I was looking and asking around, some say because it has a black/silver head it is a .45, some say it is a .40 for sure because of no markings.

I need to grab some bigger wheels, not very much room for an 11" prop with the current trike gear and wheels.

I guess it really doesn't matter after what I have learned so far, use low nitro, it is fast, it is loud and it will be more than enough to put this Ugly Stick in the air.

I better quit pondering specs and get it built and fly the darn thing LOL.
I will let you know how it goes.