HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2001, 08:29 AM
Mountain View, CA
Joined Sep 2000
109 Posts
Night flying slowflyer

Has anyone made a lightweight lighting system for a slowflyer?

Jay
J.Critchfield is offline Find More Posts by J.Critchfield
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2001, 08:49 AM
Orange Park, FL
Joined Dec 2000
443 Posts
What about little glow sticks,taped on the wings or fus.I'm gonna try it once I get one of my slowflyers flying again.
deeejay is offline Find More Posts by deeejay
Old Jul 01, 2001, 09:10 AM
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Feb 2000
37 Posts
At the Toledo show, RAM was showing off the prototype of their night flight system for slow/parkfliers. Might want to check them out. In fact, if you find that they have a website, let me know.
saddler is offline Find More Posts by saddler
Old Jul 01, 2001, 09:17 AM
Napoleon, Ohio
Joined Dec 1996
727 Posts
I flew my Pink Shadow with the little 1.5" glow sticks taped to the wings and vert. stab. Used different colors but the green seemed to show up the best. The weight is negligible. After I was done I gave the still glowing sticks to the kids to play with.

Keep 'em hummin'

Ray
Ray Lowinski is offline Find More Posts by Ray Lowinski
Old Jul 01, 2001, 09:38 AM
Millbrae, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
27 Posts
As soon as I get my model built I'll be adding this to it .....
http://www.glowire.com/
Bozz is offline Find More Posts by Bozz
Old Jul 01, 2001, 10:14 AM
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Joined Mar 2001
18 Posts
Have a look at http://www.mugi.co.uk/. Go to the Nightfly menu and select Construction Method. It works amazingly well, and it's lightweight. It could be made even lighter with a little thought.
johnlaidlaw is offline Find More Posts by johnlaidlaw
Old Jul 01, 2001, 10:54 AM
Strange Plane Central
Poway (near San Diego), CA US
Joined Dec 2000
1,883 Posts
Few months back there was an article in MA about using LEDs in wing compartments covered by see through plastic covering.
By using ribs and spars as color separators, interesting patterns could be made.
AMP draw on the LEDs was very low.
frankenfoamy is offline Find More Posts by frankenfoamy
Old Jul 01, 2001, 11:01 AM
Highland, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,112 Posts
This is a method of night flying / lighting that works very well and is pratically fool proof. I took a 6" light stick, and started it glowing I poked a small hole into the bottom and inserted a hypodermic needle and sucked all of the "glow juice" out. After you insert the hypodermic you need to poke a hole in the top of the light stick to let the air in. Then you need some plastic tubing, what I used was medical IV tube, it is thin wall about 1/8 ID. Use 6 feet of tubing and hold both ends up filling into one so the air comes out the other. Once full plug the ends, what I used is Robart "point hinges". They are "barbs" that are hinged in the middle just break them apart and you have 2 plugs. Your finished rope is 6'feet long and weighs 20 grams, depending on what tubing you use. It can be taped to the model as you like. Around the wing and tail or designs etc. It will light strong for 4 hours and can't fail you, even if a plug came out the tubing still glows for a while. Happy Night Flying!
cyhyam is online now Find More Posts by cyhyam
Old Jul 01, 2001, 11:44 AM
Little Rock,AR,USA
Joined Jun 2001
289 Posts
I used led's from radio shack. They have all the color's even HD, be sure to get the ones that blink. I Y'ed the wire to the battery plug. The wire is from a ear piece that went to a pocket radio.
Shawn Davis is offline Find More Posts by Shawn Davis
Old Jul 02, 2001, 11:28 PM
Spokane ,WA USA
Joined Jan 2001
199 Posts
Check out these lights they are awsome for night flying. http://www.slow-flyer.com/accessorie...ghts/index.htm

For more details please e-mail us @ info@anythingr-c.com

Chris,
Chris Hansen is offline Find More Posts by Chris Hansen