HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2005, 11:29 AM
scotland, uk
Joined Nov 2003
96 Posts
PS2 controllers, has anyone used the motors from them?

Hi all.

I was going to throw out a broken PS2 joypad I had lying around the house but remembered that it has 2 motors in it to make it vibrate. It looks like they are brushless as they spin more freely than a brushed motor.

Has anyone used them in any of the models they've built?

Does anyone know the voltage and current of them?
(there seems to be nothing printed on one and the other has some printing but is kind of smudged).

Would it be possible to use one on the hydrofoam?

and finally

If not is there anything or any plans to build something they can be used on?.

Happy flying

WHY ME!!!!!!

PS: forgot to weigh the motors. they weigh in at around 17/18g and the dimensions are 12mm depth/width and the diametre 24mm
syms33 is offline Find More Posts by syms33
Last edited by syms33; Aug 18, 2005 at 12:12 PM. Reason: adding something in
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2005, 02:35 PM
Trapped in California
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2003
1,857 Posts
Sounds intriguing, why not design a plane for one and try it? I've always wondered about the motors (tiny) in those new razors (Mach 3 or something?)
foamflyer is offline Find More Posts by foamflyer
Old Aug 18, 2005, 04:23 PM
scotland, uk
Joined Nov 2003
96 Posts
Sounds like a good idea, design my own and see what happens.

Only drawback in me doing that is my drawing skills leave little to be desired. Only things I can remember about technical drawing was the basics I was taught at school and that was 25+years ago

Best way i find to do something like that is to either use an exsisting plan or get the materials and work with them and see what the end result will be.

I'm starting to think a call to my local model shop is due soon and see if I can get props to fit the motors, price a speed controller (already got a skysport 6 6 Tx), some micro servo's then work out what material to use. And because i'm struggling to get any depron locally was thinking about using the polestyrene ceiling tiles you can get from a local diy store like B &Q, Homebase, etc.

Happy flying

WHY ME!!!!!!
Old Aug 18, 2005, 04:43 PM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
The motors are almost certainly brushed motors. All brushless motors (at least the 3-phase type we use) require a speed controller of some kind to operate, which would cost too much to make it effective in the game controller.

If they are 2-phase brushless motors, like the type in PC case fans, they would not be of much use either. I am sure that they are simple little motors, similar to pager motors, just a little bit bigger.

Lucien
LBMiller5 is offline Find More Posts by LBMiller5
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 20, 2005, 09:13 AM
scotland, uk
Joined Nov 2003
96 Posts
whats the difference between a 2 phase and a 3 phase motor?

How do I tell which phase they are?

Happy flying

WHY ME!!!!!!
Old Aug 20, 2005, 09:58 AM
Minneapolis MN
Joined Sep 2002
1,666 Posts
syms33,
If the motors have two wires coming out the back they are brushed, simple as that. My guess is they are coreless motors, and you may have a hard time getting them to deliver the power required for RC. However, never hurt to try!

let us know how it goes,
Sam
FLYWINGFAN is offline Find More Posts by FLYWINGFAN