HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2005, 06:42 PM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
adding gap-seal wipers in a molded wing?

I was just wondering if it was possibly to add gap-seal wipers to a molded wing, like the ones they use in f5b planes.

I had previously installed mylar gapseal, but removed it before I ever tried it because of the drag i know it causes when you deflect the ailerons.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:00 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
The way most F5B models are prepared is using tape wipers (Kapton works well). You attach the tape to the flap/aileron/elevator and the forward section slides inside the skin ahead of the surface. When the surface is deflected, a curved transition is made by the wiper. Note, this is quite different than the way Mylar "gapseal" is typically used.
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:46 PM
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Thanks, david. I had been trying scotch tape attatched to the stationary part of the wing, which didn't work out too well.

Is there any local place here in SD to get the kapton tape? Good alternatives?
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:03 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
3M #600 tape (eg. from Staples) works fine for wipers. I think that's what's on the wing in the pic I posted.

Kapton must be ordered and I don't know the best place. I've used www.kaptontape.com in the past, but there may be cheaper places. We usually use 1 mil Kapton, which goes for about $20/roll.

-David
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:54 AM
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
OK, thanks alot. I'll pick up the #600 from office depot when I get a chance.