HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2005, 09:04 AM
Chicago IL.
Joined Jan 2004
365 Posts
Cool
Dose the Formosa have the tenancy to tip-stall like some of the GWS war birds?

Im going to a fun fly this weekend. One of the contests is you have 30 seconds to get you plane up as high as you can then cut off the motor. The plane that takes the longest land wins. I know some of the war birds like to stall and crash (Its happened to me) Will the Formosa be good in this contest or do I need to find another plane?
Thanks for your help.
Mike
mike7130 is offline Find More Posts by mike7130
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2005, 09:26 AM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,651 Posts
I'd tend to think that you'd lose to any of the lightweight powered glider variety of planes. Under the right thermal conditions you could get one of those to stay up for hours.
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old Aug 16, 2005, 09:28 AM
Alphabandaid
Marshfield, Wisconsin, United States
Joined May 2003
1,259 Posts
I've elimanted virtually all tip stalls on my gws warbirds(6 of em give or take) by using the minimum elevator throw or recommend throws. Big difference in my birds. Folks tend to setup their birds wit full servo throw, and consequently have way too much elevator. EAsy to do, I just "fixed" my Corsair after finding my elevator throws way over range. I thin,k too the 10x6 slow flyers props have too much flex and may contribute to tip stall. Just a thought, but htey hum like mad in loop and the 9x7 dont. I use 9x7 almost exclisively on my birds with 1200 2s lipo packs.
aplphabandaid is offline Find More Posts by aplphabandaid
Old Aug 16, 2005, 09:38 AM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
The Formosa, while a nice plane, is not a good choice for a longest glide contest. Everything else being equal, a model with a long thin wing with flat bottom or undercamber wing, will suffice.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:38 PM
put the kettle on....
Paddock Wood, Kent, England.
Joined Sep 2004
264 Posts
Perhaps tinkering with the CG will help, moving it forward a tad may do the job or altering the wing incidence ?
David A is offline Find More Posts by David A
Old Aug 16, 2005, 01:48 PM
DLGer and park pilot
Rockford,IL USA
Joined Oct 2004
434 Posts
If you by chance have a Slow Stick that would be the GWS plane of choice for a glider contest. On the stock EPS-300C with a 2 ell lipo I can get it to about 100 feet in 30 seconds. The glide sucks but if you take the wheels off it might as well be a glider. In fact I have won a glide contest with it and have done some nice ridge flying with the prop off and caught some nice thermals with it as well.
Trace Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Trace Lewis